Anyone use Pri-G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking at some fuel stabilizers and one product that caught my attention was Pri-G. It advertises that you can keep fuel fresh for many years provided you treat it yearly. It even claims that it will restore stale fuel back to usable condition.

It backs up its claims by citing an example of the Tennessee Valley Authority using its product to restore over a million gallons of stale fuel. It also cites several reviews by different magazines.

My question is if anyone's used it before and what you guys think of its claims. Not that I would be the kind of person to store fuel for years and years, but that does sound interesting.......

http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm

I plain do not believe their claims, no matter who they claim has had success.

When I bought a boat years ago it had seventy five gallons of five year old gas.

I emailed Chevron support to ask if any product can bring old gas back to life. They said the gas had gone through chemical changes and just not possible to restore old gas. They gave me suggestions to clean the tank after draining the old gas.

Thus given their claims, I avoid their products.

I use Marine Stabil for small quantities of gas and Startron for larger quantities (like my boats gas tank).

I use it but cannot make any claims. A friend has property in the middle of no where and must store fuel in several 50 gallon drums for the generators. He treats with this product and the fuel is still fresh after one year. Zero problems with any of the generators after almost 8 years. It certainly works well for him.

Yes, the utility I work for uses it and I use it personally.

I have to respectfully disagree with Donald's opinion above. I had a 55G drum of gasoline in my barn for approximately 5 years, it was treated yearly with PRI-G. A few years ago, I ran it in a 1988 Chevrolet Cheyenne with a 5.7L engine with zero problems.

I can't remember if this fuel had ethanol in it or not, but I've read of problems with ethanol fuels stored longer than a year regardless of what it is treated with.

greetings:

i have not used this product, but am intrigued by it's composition, and firstly i am no expert on this matter, i came here to learn.

The msds for pri-g shows the following:

Name CAS # % by Weight
1. Shellsol D60 (cas#64742-88-7) 35-45
2. Mixture of amines (cas# Not Established) 5-35
3. Organic Dispersants (cas# Not Established) 5-35

my search shows shellsol d60 is a "medium evaporating, high flash mineral spirit type
hydrocarbon solvent. The high degree of general refining gives this solvent its low level of impurities such as sulphur, olefins, benzene and total aromatics, and low odor"

if the amines are PEA, they should be could cleaners
and the organic dispersants are used to "effectively disperse heavy hydrocarbons present in residual oils, thus preventing formation of sludge"

When I compare this to the Stabil fuel stabilizer that i use, it's msds shows these 2:

Additive Mixture 0-5%
Petroleum Distillate 64742-47-8 0-95%

64742-47-8 is used largely as "Fuel for use in domestic and commercial heating and lighting equipment."

I hope that the experts in this field weigh in on this, it is a very interesting looking addy at this time for me.

Last edited:
P.S. thanks for posting and can this be found in automotive or hardware stores? i prefer not to buy on line unless if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
P.S. thanks for posting and can this be found in automotive or hardware stores? i prefer not to buy on line unless if absolutely necessary.

To my knowledge; no.

The cheapest place I have found to purchase it is batterystuff.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back