2nd Generation dexos1: A World of New Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it depends what you have and what you're willing to use. Your MaxLife is dexos1. Your Defy isn't, but that may change, since that's going SN/GF-5. If someone is determined enough to avoid dexos1, it can be done. Conventional is the easiest answer. An HDEO or A3/B3 A3/B4 lube will also do it. Formula Shell Synthetic and Eneos, off the top of my head, are also non-dexos.

Besides, oil companies are amortizing the tiny licensing fees over all grades. I don't see any discounts for Syntec or M1 varieties that aren't dexos1 rated. Perhaps other oil companies are doing it differently, but I doubt it.

Generally from a lubricant manufacturer perspective - dexos1 formulas typically are built using a core (GF-5) + booster (dexos1) approach. I fully expect the same thing to be true with GF-6 and 2nd gen dexos1. For that reason there will always be the option of non-dexos oils in a bid to cut down the total formulated costs.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I suppose it depends what you have and what you're willing to use. Your MaxLife is dexos1. ...

You know what, I did not know that Maxlife had gone to Dexos in 5w-20. I just double-checked the bottles in my garage and they do not have the certification shown (they are slightly older, I buy closeout). The Valvoline site also does not show the certification that I could find and Internet retailers do not show the new bottle. I downloaded the PI sheet and Maxlife is now indeed Dexos certified in 5w-20 and 5w-30. Thank you for the heads up and I will switch to something else next OCI.

Originally Posted By: B20z
Originally Posted By: Garak
I suppose it depends what you have and what you're willing to use. Your MaxLife is dexos1. ...

You know what, I did not know that Maxlife had gone to Dexos in 5w-20. I just double-checked the bottles in my garage and they do not have the certification shown (they are slightly older, I buy closeout). The Valvoline site also does not show the certification that I could find and Internet retailers do not show the new bottle. I downloaded the PI sheet and Maxlife is now indeed Dexos certified in 5w-20 and 5w-30. Thank you for the heads up and I will switch to something else next OCI.

Sooner or later you won't have any options left.......

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Sooner or later you won't have any options left.......

Chain saw bar oil.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: B20z
You know what, I did not know that Maxlife had gone to Dexos in 5w-20.

That was inadvertent by me. I thought the 5w-20 had gone dexos1, but I also thought you were doing 5w-30 in that grade. Non-dexos1 options would include Chevron synthetic (but not Havoline) and Formula Shell Synthetic. I didn't think Mobil Super Synthetic was dexos1, but I was mistaken and it now is.

Off topic to our little discussion, but I can understand why Valvoline made MaxLife dexos1. It may annoy those unhappy with dexos1, but it's a very cost effective dexos1 option for those who are seeking the specification without going hog wild to Royal Purple, M1 EP, or Edge gold bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back