.22 rimfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in a .22 for target shooting. I'm not interested in hunting. I narrowed it down to Remington or Marlin 795. There is a Gander Mtn and ****'s near me. Suggestions and any sales coming up?

How about the Ruger 10/22? They are so reliable that they are boring, at least from that standpoint. A 10/22 can also be customized with aftermarket parts about as much as you like.

I'd recommend a Ruger American .22 unless money is the ultimate deciding factor. Nice solid bolt .22.

Remington 597 for out of the box accuracy. Ruger 10/22 if you want to mod it because there are lots and lots of mods for it. I had a 10/22 with a Volquartsen trigger, and it was one sweet shooting .22. Both of these are semi-auto, and they are good plinkers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wwillson
How about the Ruger 10/22? They are so reliable that they are boring, at least from that standpoint. A 10/22 can also be customized with aftermarket parts about as much as you like.

I have one and can say it is great. Cheap, but well made.

+1 on the 10/22. Trigger group mods. stock mods and high capacity crank loadable mags.

I don't think ***** sells Guns any more because guns and gun people evil killers.

I get my stuff at Cabelas. If you apply for in store CC you get 20% off first purchase.

Last edited:
If I were to buy a bolt action .22 for target shooting accuracy without spending a fortune up front, or having to do mods later, I would be all over a CZ 455 American.

Both are among the most accurate 22 autoloaders in their price range. The magazine sticks out further on the Marlin, which makes it a little more cumbersome shooting from a bench. The stock on the 597 is somewhat more hand filling and may be better suited for bench shooting. The Marlins seem to need a regular action cleaning to ensure reliable feeding (every 250 rounds or so).

The trigger on the Remington is arguably better than the Marlin's. The barrel is pinned in place on the Marlin, while the barrel on the Remington is held with a block and screw. Both are proven designs, the 597 being nearly 20 years old and the Marlin roughly twice that.

Personally, I prefer either over the often recommended and ultra-reliable stock 10/22.

Take a hard close look at a Savage Mark II-FVT bolt action. Amazing accuracy right out of the box, very affordable, and just about everybody has it for sale or can get.

Why else would the CMP promote it in their program?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
If I were to buy a bolt action .22 for target shooting accuracy without spending a fortune up front, or having to do mods later, I would be all over a CZ 455 American.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Savage bolt action or CZ 455 American.

Big problem here is not buying a 22. It is finding any 22 ammo. Just about impossible.

Sounds good
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Jerryb
I'm interested in a .22 for target shooting. I'm not interested in hunting. I narrowed it down to Remington or Marlin 795. There is a Gander Mtn and ****'s near me. Suggestions and any sales coming up?

What's your definition of target shooting? If it's plinking cans and zombie squirrel targets and those reactive rubber targets with the cheapest ammo you can find then the semi-autos are fine and the Ruger 10/22 leads all others in customization.

If you're thinking about shooting at paper for score and accuracy at 25, 50, 100 yards then the semi-autos will quickly fall short. Bolt actions like the CZ452/455, Savage, and the Ruger American Rimfire will in most instances be more accurate out of the box and with simple mods. 10/22s can be made to shoot but it takes money.

I own and shoot CZs, 10/22s and am breaking in a Ruger American Rimfire Predator, still unknown how it's going to shoot. .22 rimfires are picky little beasts, every rifle wil have it's favorite ammo that it will shoot better than anything else. These days it's still hard to find 22 to shoot much less compare. CZ guys are disappointed if their rifle won't shoot consistent 1/2" groups at 50 yards with decent ammo.

I recommend either a Marlin Model 60 or Ruger 10/22 for general plinking.

If you are wanting to become a serious 22LR target shooter, step up to a Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical or a Savage Mark II BV as these rifles have heavy barrels and are capable of 1" groups at 100 yards with good ammo.

10/22 or Marlin model 60 are my first recommendations for someone wanting to get a .22 LR rifle.

The Ruger American 22 for bolt action. The Savages are excellent too.

Love the Marlin 981t too!

Plenty of choices...
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back