Dodge unveils 2015 Charger Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/dodge-unveils-2015-charger-pursuit

DG015_206CH.jpg

Uconnect 5.0. I wish those hackers that turned a jeep off on the highway had waited another year to release their information to chrysler, because all these new ones will ship patched and I won't be able to shut down the pursuing police cars behind me.

"There’s something about the Dodge Charger that makes it the perfect police car. It looks like the kind of car that would be driven by law enforcement in an iron-fisted police state, "

Great
21.gif

If they would have continued evolving and refining the Ford Taurus for 30 years, making it more reliable, getting the bugs out, substituting in reinforced fiber plastics, higher strength steel and aluminium parts gradually, etc., its a vehicle that's more than capable (SHO parts, anyone?), gets better MPG, would be better in the snow, handles great with the long control arm independent rear, and, most of all, Robocop drove one:
robotaurus.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
"There’s something about the Dodge Charger that makes it the perfect police car. It looks like the kind of car that would be driven by law enforcement in an iron-fisted police state, "

Great
21.gif

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
If they would have continued evolving and refining the Ford Taurus for 30 years, making it more reliable, getting the bugs out, substituting in reinforced fiber plastics, higher strength steel and aluminium parts gradually, etc., its a vehicle that's more than capable (SHO parts, anyone?), gets better MPG, would be better in the snow, handles great with the long control arm independent rear, and, most of all, Robocop drove one:
robotaurus.jpg

Well, the replacement for the CVPI is a Taurus - but many police departments in the Bay Area are flocking towards the Explorer instead since the CHP found that Taurus PI didn't meet weight requirements.

;p

Sorry, but I laugh my butt off every time I see a "police interceptor" tag on a Taurus. What a crock.

I figure that all copcars are going to be SUVs in the future, along the lines of the Explorer or Tahoe police packages. Not even the Charger pursuit meets the cargo capacity specs of most PDs. The CVPI was truly the last great all-purpose copCAR. There'll probably be a place for Chargers as highway interceptors, much like the police-spec Mustangs were used, but unless they up the GVWR its just not going to meet specs for general purpose use.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Well, the replacement for the CVPI is a Taurus - but many police departments in the Bay Area are flocking towards the Explorer instead since the CHP found that Taurus PI didn't meet weight requirements..

That new Taurus is not the 1st/2nd Generation 1986-1995 Taurus. (New one is based off the Volvo S80 car, modified going forward to today, a late 90's design, back when Ford bought Volvo.) I was just thinking what would happen if you could keep tweaking and evolving the original Ford Taurus, keep it around for consumers, get the 30 years experience with it. ... I guess with unlimited tax money, why not buy a fleet of the most expensive police Explorers/Chargers/Caprices around? Why not? Just tax people more, e-z. $$$$$$$

Well, the replacement for the CVPI is a Taurus - but many police departments in the Bay Area are flocking towards the Explorer instead since the CHP found that Taurus PI didn't meet weight requirements..

That new Taurus is not the 1st/2nd Generation 1986-1995 Taurus. (New one is based off the Volvo S80 car, modified going forward to today, a late 90's design, back when Ford bought Volvo.) I was just thinking what would happen if you could keep tweaking and evolving the original Ford Taurus, keep it around for consumers, get the 30 years experience with it. ... I guess with unlimited tax money, why not buy a fleet of the most expensive police Explorers/Chargers/Caprices around? Why not? Just tax people more, e-z. $$$$$$$

The current Taurus is significantly smaller for leg room than the older ones ...

There are several additions that make the police car much faster. The first is the radio and the second is the GPS unit combined with the dispatch computer and the government network of information. These additions can double or triple the effective top speed of almost any police interceptor. Driving in this mode will help keep police officers from hitting other cars and pedestrians and make these chases safer and more effective.

Some departments are ditching the Chargers. The front ends aren't holding up. Our city police department dropped them and bought, I forget, I think 15 Taurus's for the yearly attrition replacements for patrol. They needed 30 to cover all the cars really needing replaced this year but city council slashed it to 15, therefore there are still some Crown Vics rolling in patrol passing 150,000 severe service miles.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There are several additions that make the police car much faster. The first is the radio and the second is the GPS unit combined with the dispatch computer and the government network of information. These additions can double or triple the effective top speed of almost any police interceptor. Driving in this mode will help keep police officers from hitting other cars and pedestrians and make these chases safer and more effective.

Or put another way, the speed of the car doesn't matter when the radio is speed-of-light. :)

That does kinda break down in the vast remote areas, though, which is why the Mustang pursuit package was popular in the 80s when the Gran Furies and CVPIs were all slower than the speed of smell...

There are a couple of shops that are re-manufacturing CV's. Several large police departments and the CHP have purchased these vehicles and they are having good luck with them. It's only a temporary operation but it speaks will of the CV. It appears that everyone knows how to maintain them and there's no shortage of parts.

There's one great example of why officers like the CV. In San Diego a cab driver, falling asleep at the wheel of his ex police CV slammed on the brakes on the freeway to avoid a slower vehicle in his lane. He slid to a stop pointed at the center divider and stopped at a right angle to the flow of traffic in the lane. A Jeep Commander traveling with the flow of traffic, maybe 60-70 mph or more, struck the stopped CV in the driver's and passenger's doors. The cab driver was taken to the hospital with only bumps, bruises and a broken leg. The CV was completely destroyed along with the Jeep. That cab driver owes his life to one tough vehicle.

All I have heard on the police package Charger is they are fast, but just do not hold up like the Crown Vic Interceptor.
I was so sorry to see Ford stop production of the CV; I love my CVPI.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

The current Taurus is significantly smaller for leg room than the older ones ...

Not just that...hip room and head room suffer. Those cars are CROWDED. There is a good reason the police Explorer is outselling it by a wide margin!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Some departments are ditching the Chargers. The front ends aren't holding up. Our city police department dropped them and bought, I forget, I think 15 Taurus's for the yearly attrition replacements for patrol. They needed 30 to cover all the cars really needing replaced this year but city council slashed it to 15, therefore there are still some Crown Vics rolling in patrol passing 150,000 severe service miles.

Bring them through the shop for new transmissions, coil packs, and ball joints...should be good for another 100K!

My CVPI was indestructible (7 years of uniform work as Patrol and then FTO). All on Castrol GTX.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There are a couple of shops that are re-manufacturing CV's. Several large police departments and the CHP have purchased these vehicles and they are having good luck with them. It's only a temporary operation but it speaks will of the CV. It appears that everyone knows how to maintain them and there's no shortage of parts.

There's one great example of why officers like the CV. In San Diego a cab driver, falling asleep at the wheel of his ex police CV slammed on the brakes on the freeway to avoid a slower vehicle in his lane. He slid to a stop pointed at the center divider and stopped at a right angle to the flow of traffic in the lane. A Jeep Commander traveling with the flow of traffic, maybe 60-70 mph or more, struck the stopped CV in the driver's and passenger's doors. The cab driver was taken to the hospital with only bumps, bruises and a broken leg. The CV was completely destroyed along with the Jeep. That cab driver owes his life to one tough vehicle.

There were shops popping up that were re manufacturing the previous generation Chevy Caprices as well and that was short lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back