Pennzoil Q&A - Complete Protection and Oil Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
Quote:
[edit] The answers posted here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/round-1-bitog-q-a/

Hello BITOG Members:

Over the last year, as many of you may have noticed, the Pennzoil team has had the privilege to join a number of the conversations on BobIsTheOilGuy. While we’ve had an opportunity to exchange thoughts with a number of you, we’d like to open the floor to all of BITOG for dialogue on some of the forum’s trending topics. Over the next few weeks, select members of the Shell Technical Team will be responding to inquiries regarding the following topics:

• Week 1: Complete Protection Benefits and Debunking Oil Myths – Shanna Simmons, Shell Research Engineer and Technical Advisor

• Week 2: Wear in Valve Train/Timing Chain Wear – Mark Ferner, Project Manager

• Week 3: Thinner Viscosity Grades – Richard Dixon, Pennzoil Technology Manager

Beginning today, with this post, we’ve opened a special thread for all of you to submit your questions to Shanna Simmons, Shell Research Engineer and Technical Advisor, regarding Complete Protection Benefits from Pennzoil Platinum® Products and Debunking Oil Myths. Shanna received her B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M University (with honors!) before becoming a Research Engineer at Shell.

The thread will be open for submissions from 9:00 a.m. ET on Saturday, August 22nd until 5:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, August 25th, at which time Shanna and our full team of scientists and engineers will work together to provide answers to your questions to be posted on Friday, August 28th.

We are extremely excited for this opportunity, and we have only a few notes:

1. Please use this thread only to submit questions. Members of the team have noted that there have been questions posed in various threads, but please repost the question in this thread to help us make sure we address everything.
2. Please understand that there will be some questions that we will not be able to answer. We cannot divulge any proprietary information and can only speak from our areas of expertise.
3. Our Technical Team will also not be commenting or speculating on the products of our competitors.

Thank you all for your understanding and enthusiasm – now, let’s hear your questions!

-The Pennzoil Team

Week 1 - "Debunking Oil Myths"...... I feel cars that are stored inside a garage and are driven infrequently (including classic hot rods & antiques) rarely need an oil change and can go many years with oil left in the sump, especially with synthetic lubricants. The myth (IMO) is "change your oil once a year, regardless of miles". Your thoughts on this?

Can you help us better understand how the selection of base stocks may impact an oil's suitability for and impact upon direct injection engines? Often it has been noted that parameters such an NOACK, and also specific additive chemistries may impact valve deposits and other DI-related problems. Does a GTL lube, some of which have been shown to have very low NOACK values per the SOPUS PDSs offer superior benefit in DI engines, as compared to lubricants formulated with a bias towards use of PAO, POE or other basestocks? If so, why? Is it due to the attractive NOACK values, or are there other characteristics related to fuel dilution or other phenomena that play in?

Hybrid vehicles have a lot more start-stop conditions than a traditional engine. While many of the start events are likely with a good film of oil, ready pumpable lubricant, and warm engine, the nuances of cranking and the first fires at startup may have effect upon fuel dilution, cylinder wash-down, etc. What lubricants might be best suited for these kinds of operations, and why?

It's not clear to me or others whether or not Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle is a conventional or synthetic blend motor oil. Could you please confirm if it is conventional or synthetic blend?

Thanks

Would you consider Pennzoil Platinum to be a higher quality product than Mobil 1?

Would you recommend Platinum in an older engine as well?

I am interested in Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage oils. They do not seem to meet many certifications outside of SN at this time. Do you plan on certifying them for ACEA ratings (A1/A5)? Will this oil be assigned a GM Dexos 1 license?

I have a question for Richard Dixon in regards to low viscosity oils.

Lower viscosity oils are generally for the purpose of improving fuel economy. Engine wear and durability do not seem to be an issue with modern 0w20 viscosity grades and the engines that call for them, but it is still a common question among enthusiasts. Balancing low viscosity/engine wear. My question is whether it would be beneficial to run a 5w30 for a bit of added protection if one pushes the engine a bit harder than expected, (in a vehicle that calls for a 20 grade)?

Thank you

Hello Shanna,

To start, great videos on YouTube! I am currently using a few final quarts of RP for my passenger vehicles (TL & Accord). In the last three weeks I have purchased 50 quarts (10 - 5 quart jugs) of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 for the reasons you've outlined in your videos, such as PP's ability to clean pistons, lubricate and just as important its ability to protect from engine wear.

My questions are...

How long is the shelf life for Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 if it is stored in my garage, knowing that it will take me 3-4 years to use this oil?

What is your oil change interval recommendation (total miles per OCI)? Both cars are ran 50/50 highway and city driving and I live in California.

Last question...why PP with PurePlus technology over M1, Castrol, RP or any other premium lubrication product?

Keep fine tuning those presentation skills and thanks for the time!!

-George

Could you address operators of GDI-Turbo vehicles regarding the effects of certain additives such as calcium and their impact on LSPI (low speed pre-ignition)? There's much discussion and concern by operators of these vehicles that Pennzoil's additive packages are predisposed to LSPI as compared to other brands... --Rob

No questions here, just good oil that i've been using for the last 45 years
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Robster
Could you address operators of GDI-Turbo vehicles regarding the effects of certain additives such as calcium and their impact on LSPI (low speed pre-ignition)? There's much discussion and concern by operators of these vehicles that Pennzoil's additive packages are predisposed to LSPI as compared to other brands... --Rob

I was going to post a very similar question and would be very interested to hear any thoughts from Pennzoil's experts concerning this topic.

I guess this could be a myth vs fact/thin vs thick question. Most oil companies make high mileage 20W50 weights. Does Pennzoil ever plan on making a high mileage 20W50? Or even a synthetic 5/15/20W50?

Thank you to all who participated!

We will have the answers back from the Pennzoil team soon.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back