Supertech 5w-30 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salv

All Supertech products and lubricants are top quality products. Due to the popularity of their oils, I would consider them a major brand.

SuperTech isn't really one brand. It can be Citgo, XOM, or Warren, depending on where and when its bought.

( I just realized this question is a few months old... oh well...

1. Would I be able to run the Supertech for the same mileage as the Mobil (5000 miles, then change) Yes

2. I have synthetic in my engine now. Any reason to continue to use synthetic? Yes*

3. My friend also has an elantra, he is a mechanic (not that it matters, I know) and he said I should use 10w30 instead for better protection from the thicker oil. Is this true? No

4. Is it true that Exxon makes the Supertech oil? Maybe, Supertech is packaged by a variety of name brand oil refiners, its perfectly acceptable quality oil.

* If I were you, I would use the Super Tech Synthetic if you run 5000 mile intervals, its only about $17 for 5 quarts.
In normal cases Syn or Conv doesnt matter to me. However your 01 with such low mileage would be considered "severe use", Either the car sits around a lot where condensation can accumulate in the crankcase or it is used for short mileage trips where the oil does not heat up enough to burn off combustion by products or water.
A synthetic would be a bit more stable and less likely to sludge up. Based on your mileage you most likely drive 5000 miles a year, that would be severe. SO if you are only going to change 5000 miles, once a year, syn would be my choice, only because it will be more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back