SuperTech Synthetic 5-30w, 10k, Toyota FJ 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do extended oil changes and used oil analysis so we might all learn something and I find it interesting.

This is the 7th UOA I've done on this vehicle.

This analysis is about WalMart Super Tech 5-30w full synthetic . The oil is 8 mths old, w/10,000 miles. The vehicle is a 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/a gasoline 4.0L engine that has 142k miles since new. I didn't dump/change anything when I took this sample. I always wait to see the UOA results. No make-up oil was added, because it doesn't use any. The vehicle is my daily driver. We live in the country, so it doesn't see much stop and go driving.

Many yrs ago I put a TopDog brand engine oil bypass filtration system on that utilizes the Amsoil EaBP90 filter. This filter was last changed at the start of this oil run. The air filter is an Amsoil EaA238(discontinued) element with 57k miles since new. I blew it out again at the start of this run Over the yrs, I've looked for induction system leaks and tried 3 different brand air filters elements in hope of reducing the Si/silicon level, all without success.

As I suspected SuperTechs additive package was used up after only 10k miles(low TBN). All the previous UOA I've done was on Amsoil oils. Amsoil additive package is more robust so it last longer, roughly 15k miles. I personally don't like a TBN# below 2.0

After looking over the following results I changed the oil to Mobil1 5-30w? I'll see how it holds up. Will it holdup as well as Amsoil? Will it holdup longer than ST? I changed the full flow filter with another Fram XG8A. I left the Amsoil EaBP90 bypass filter element in place for another run.

LAB: Oil Analyzers Inc - OAI(Polaris)
LAB COMMENTS: TBN # is below acceptable levels. Abrasives (silicon/dirt) is at a MINOR LEVEL. Change oil and oil filter.
Code:

WEAR METALS-PPM

Iron 28....14....12....7....21...17....19

Chromium 0......0....0.....0....0....0.....0

Copper 1......1....1.....0....1....0.....1

Tin 0......1....0.....0....0....0......0

Lead 0......0....0.....0....0....0.....0

Chrom 0......0....0.....0....0....0.....0

Nickel 0......0....0.....0....0....0.....0

Alum 5......6....7.....1....3....2....0

Silver 0......0....0.....0....0....0.....0

Cadmium 0......0....0.....0....0....0.....0

Vanadium 0......0....0.....1....0....0....0

CONTAMINANT METALS-PPM

Silicon 56.....70....43...32...33...37...38

Sodium 168....45....17...28...29...31...29

Potassium 4......2.....2....4....3....5....1

MULTI SOURCE METALS

Manganese 0......0....0....0.....0....0....0

Titan 0......0....0....0.....0....0....0

Molybdenum 2......0....0....0.....0....0....32

Antim 0......0....0....0.....0....0....1

Lithium 0......0....0....0.....0....0----1

Boron 6......4....3....1.....1....2....1

ADDITIVE METALS-PPM

Magnesium 14.....11....16....10....13....11....12

Calcium 3394..3531..4351..3589..3022..3520..2417

Barium 0......0......0.....0.....0....0.....0

Phosph 568...497....809...929...895..1037...643

Zinc 691...591....989..1130..1084..1236...757

V100C 10.9...10.8...12.7....14.3...15.2..12.7...10.2

I-R Oxidation 58......64.....61......25....67....50....27

I-R Nitra 39......41.....17.......9....18....18....15

TBN 2.66...2.18...2.48....2.35...1.89...2.22....1.43

Fuel
Soot Vol
Water Vol

That was interesting. Thanks for posting. I have the same 1GR-FE engine as you and was wondering how SuperTech Synthetic would do. I also use 10,000 mile OCI because it's easy to just reset the oil change light once at 5000 and change it the next time around. Looks like you got every bit of use you could safely get out of that oil.
One question though. I'm assuming the ST results is the column on the right. Is that correct?

Oil looks good for a "budget" syn, no excessive viscosity thickening(as seen in some amsoil UAOA), reasonable OXIDATION# ..
But,
Where the Boron in the analysis? STS uses no moly and a load of boron?

Last edited:
Supertech has different blenders, like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Supertech full synth should be fine for any OE recommended interval. This UOA isn't bad but expected more with the larger oil capacity(XG8a + EABP90).

I'd want to go 15k, 20k, or more with a bypass setup. TBN just isn't there with supertech. What are the mileages on the previous runs? How often do you change the EABP?

You need particle counts to see how well that bypass is working.

Air filtration? try a Volant intake with the Donaldson Powercore filter and Volant prefilter.

How dark is oil after the 10k run?
Do you drain the EABP90 after a run?

Supertech is blended by Mobil, Citgo, Warren, and whoever is a lowest bidder for the area of a contract. Just verify the bottle to see the supplier.

Go back to the stock air filter.... but go with a quality brand (not Toyota). Your silicon levels will drop dramatically, because paper filters stop dirt better than oiled foam

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Go back to the stock air filter.... but go with a quality brand (not Toyota). Your silicon levels will drop dramatically, because paper filters stop dirt better than oiled foam

I've always had exceptionally low Si levels with OE Toyota air filters. Not sure what the basis for not recommending a Toyota OE filter here is.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
AFAIK only WPP blends the synthetic in the USA.

I would like to see the reasoning why people believe there is multiple suppliers for Super Tech. I can only find one API license for Super Tech.

Silicon is too high. Buy a new Toyota air filter every 2 years or 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

I've always had exceptionally low Si levels with OE Toyota air filters. Not sure what the basis for not recommending a Toyota OE filter here is.

I have seen various tests that show Toyota/Honda air filters allow a lot of dirt to pass (25-50% at 20u). Name-brand filters (if they are paper) only allow 1-5% to passthru filtration levels. I have AC Delco on my Honda and the Si level is almost zero.
In any case, stay away from the oiled foam.
They don't do well at all.

Walmart uses different suppliers for their Super Tech products based on bids. If you search the UPC of the product it will reveal the MSDS of the current provider(s): http://msds.walmartstores.com You can't simply search by name, because it lists old suppliers. Has to be UPC to list current supplier(s).

The last time I searched the Super Tech Syn oil UPC it revealed 2 providers, probably distributed by region. One was Warren Distribution and the other was Citgo.

So, Honda and Toyota make good quality cars and trucks but provide low quality oil and air filters for them? Yup, that makes a LOT of sense to me. I hear Yugo filters are GREAT.
BTW 2000 miles ago I changed my Gen 4, I4 Camry oil to the WPP version of Supertech 5 w 30 synthetic....the engine has 215,000 miles on it and hasn't burned a drop that I can see.

Last edited:
I have no evidence that different suppliers supply different weights of SuperTech Synthetic, but I have confirmed in the past with VOAs that SuperTech 5w30 Synthetic is identical to Accel Synthetic 5w30 which is made by WPP. The oil may also be identical or similar to Mag1 made by WPP. It is widely believed here that WPP provides all Supertech Synthetic and it is only the conventional Supertech that is spread among multiple suppliers (as evidenced by different bottles in different parts of the country).

https://pqiablog.com/2015-motor-oil-samples-tested/

If you compare 5w30 Supertech Synthetic with Accel 5w30 Synthetic they are identical products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back