Kumho Solus TA71 vs General Altimax RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I need new tires for my 2007 Infiniti M35 with 75,000 miles 245/45 R18. Live in southern California so no snow and little rain. I think I have it narrowed down between these two tires. Any thoughts? Opinions?
Thank you

I'd get the TA71. There's a $100 rebate on them through the end of the month.

The TA71 seems to have higher speed ratings than the RT43 in a given size. The General is T or H, occasionally V, while Kumho is mostly W-rated with some of the smaller sizes in V.

I've heard good things about the TR43, but I've never had good luck with Conti/General.

A summer tire would probably serve you better in that climate, unless you go to the mountains a lot.

You can pick something with more safety reserves since you don't need all-season tires. You don't know how those of us in the snow belt that are aggressive drivers cringe when we see a post such as yours.

People like to give the Generals a thumbs up, but not everyone that does owns them. The Generals in your size are made in Romania and have rim protecters which some people dislike the look of. But if your a klutz...? Myself? I'd get the Kumho over the Generals. If I were you? I'd put an appropriate tire on your sports sedan for the area you live in.

Kumho's came on our KIA but not that model, they were frankly awful though.

Have bought 14 consecutive Generals now including 10 Altimax, RT43's are on the KIA now about 20k they still look new. Very satisfied. The other 4 are Grabber AT2's which are on the Jeep, real happy with those too.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You can pick something with more safety reserves since you don't need all-season tires. You don't know how those of us in the snow belt that are aggressive drivers cringe when we see a post such as yours.

People like to give the Generals a thumbs up, but not everyone that does owns them. The Generals in your size are made in Romania and have rim protecters which some people dislike the look of. But if your a klutz...? Myself? I'd get the Kumho over the Generals. If I were you? I'd put an appropriate tire on your sports sedan for the area you live in.

I don't anything in the OP's post that makes me cringe.

Sounds like he's not in the mountains of SoCal that does see snow.

A summer tire with long tread life? Those things are rare. The only ones I know of are Dunlop Direzza DZ102.

What happens if the last majority of his driving is being stuck in I-405 traffic? You don't need the ultimate grip of a summer tire to be stuck in traffic.

That being said, if he's not canyon carving, then either tire will be fine. The Solus TA71's may be a good replacement for the ECSTA Platinum LX I currently have (for less money, and the Generals aren't available in the size I need for my car).

I have the RT-43's for over 10k miles and am very happy so far. Not the same size though.

I'd go for the Kumhos. I had Michelin MXV4 on my Honda Accord EX-L and they were awful.

I"ve put over 20,000 miles on my General Altimax RT43's since early last October. I like them well enough, especially for the price I paid, but to be honest, the budget Hercules Tour 4.0 plus tires I drove for almost 50,000 miles (still had over 3/32nds left) before that were a better performance tire on dry roads...although the Generals are somewhat more "comfortable...ie smooth when highway cruising than my prior tires.

I'd say the Generals outperform the Hercules somewhat in snowy conditions.....and the in rain performance, maybe only slightly overall. The Generals are a slightly noisier tire that were my Hercules at lower speeds, but tolerable.

I cant speak about the Kumho's but with my experience with the RT43's you cant go wrong there. FWIW, mine were US made if that makes any difference to you.

The TA71 is a brand new tire. It was just released in the last few months, I believe. I haven't seen any tests or reviews really of the tire.

Tire Rack says all sizes of the TA71 are made in Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back