People that back into their parking spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fleet I work for discovered decades ago that we have far fewer incidents in the lot when all buses are backed into spots.Including people being hit by vehicles.
I think it would work in shopping centers too.
How many times is there a car coming fast when you are trying to back out or a person you saw at the last minute that has to scoot out of the way.
The reason it would never work is the average driver cannot back there vehicle into that narrow space.

Last edited:
Where I work it is NOT permitted, mainly because we have angled spaces, and one way lanes for traffic. If they do it was ticket them with a warning.

I back in whenever possible for all the above mentioned reasons. I drop off and pick up kids at two different spots everyday in addition to after school activities and my own job. I can back into a spot very easily and verify there are no kids or cars behind me. Trying to back out with kids and cross traffic can take a long time. People don't stop and kids don't look.

Several years ago I was ticketed for backing into a parking space in a small college town, the reason i was given was there were too many students backing over parking meters!

I drive a full size 4 door 1 ton pick up and have been driving large straight trucks for decades. Trust me its much easier to back into a spot than pull in, and the other reason I back in is because of the length on my truck, you can back in over a curb farther than if you were to pull in.

I am still amazed that I had to pay a $20 fine for backing into a parking space.

I especially like the butt-hats that park their giant pickup trucks so that no one can use the spot behind them because the truck's trailer hitch sticks out into the space behind them.

I am willing to bet serious money that the large protruding hitch on their giant trunk is inversely proportional to the size of their you know what.

Originally Posted By: panther427
With in my field. It is required to back into a spot. To eliminate backing out accidents. So its a habit for some. Depending on the parking lot I will back in if its easier to leave.

This:

Once you know the reason for backing in you will never pull in forward again.

I drive a large vehicle and often it's easier to get into a tight parking spot by backing in, most of the lots around here are built for normal sized cars not extended cab pickup trucks with a half mile turning radius. I can back into a spot in one try that would take at least a 2 point maneuver to swing into going forward.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
I especially like the butt-hats that park their giant pickup trucks so that no one can use the spot behind them because the truck's trailer hitch sticks out into the space behind them.

I am willing to bet serious money that the large protruding hitch on their giant trunk is inversely proportional to the size of their you know what.

Sounds like you are jealous to obsess over such a minor detail.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney

Most small wannabe-racer cars can still perfectly park behind a truck even though the truck's hitch sticks out about a foot or so.

That hitch would also look good embedded into the bumper/condenser/radiator too when honda raceboi loves to follow my hitch so close I like to give him a kiss by slamming on the hydroboost brakes and hightail it out of there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: stchman
Is it just me or do most people that back into their parking sport think they and their car is just too cool?

I mostly see it with guys that drive some exotic Euro car. They often back in taking up two spots at a "cool" angle. I wonder if they realize that nobody but them thinks they are cool.

I also see a lot of union guys do it as well.

Fancy parking is what a lot of people call it.

I am not against backing up to park if there is a reason, but it does not make someone more cool.

So let me see if I understand.

In this post you discussed the issue-less than two weeks ago. Now you deem it necessary to start a duplicate thread on the same subject to voice how upset it makes you? Quite frankly, it sounds like you have issues that you need to resolve if you get that upset over the way someone else decides to park their vehicle. Mature adults have things that are actually important to concern themselves with.

I think you need to go find something worthwhile to get your panties knotted up over.

Well said!

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Most small wannabe-racer cars can still perfectly park behind a truck even though the truck's hitch sticks out about a foot or so.

That hitch would also look good embedded into the bumper/condenser/radiator too when honda raceboi loves to follow my hitch so close I like to give him a kiss by slamming on the hydroboost brakes and hightail it out of there.

Precisely why I always take a quick picture of the truck/hitch and the license plate when I'm parked across from one.

I figure it can be matched up later if Bubba wasn't real careful backing up.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Precisely why I always take a quick picture of the truck/hitch and the license plate when I'm parked across from one.

Bubba? Got to love your condescending attitude towards truck drivers.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Bubba? Got to love your condescending attitude towards truck drivers.

Oh sorry, Jim Bob then.

Originally Posted By: panther427
With in my field. It is required to back into a spot. To eliminate backing out accidents. So its a habit for some. Depending on the parking lot I will back in if its easier to leave.

Im required to park that way at work (LE) we call it combat parking, its a hard habit to break after after 20 years.

I've been driving trucks more often than cars and given enough practice I can gauge the distance between the edge of the top of the tailgate to the car behind me. My rear would end up litte over a foot from the car license plate frame.

I've driven small cars too (cause humbug driving a truck in town.) I had a 1991 Nissan Sentra tincan and driving that thing around trucks or following close to a larger vehicle is like signing a deathwish. I can hate on small car drivers if I want. More safety features and driving a brand new car does not make you invincible or become more reckless. Your act of selfishness could mean a total loss to me, especially since I'm driving an older truck.

I've been driving trucks more often than cars and given enough practice I can gauge the distance between the edge of the top of the tailgate to the car behind me. My rear would end up litte over a foot from the car license plate frame.

I've driven small cars too (cause humbug driving a truck in town.) I had a 1991 Nissan Sentra tincan and driving that thing around trucks or following close to a larger vehicle is like signing a deathwish. I can hate on small car drivers if I want. More safety features and driving a brand new car does not make you invincible or become more reckless. Your act of selfishness could mean a total loss to me, especially since I'm driving an older truck.

My act of selfishness is what? Taking the picture?

My act of selfishness is what? Taking the picture?

My bad, that part was not intended to aim at you (although I quoted you.) That part was bad drivers.

Like the other guy that posted. I too am required to back in at work, so it just carries over to normal day to day.

I also used to drive a F350 super crew with 8ft box. Backing in was the only way to park that thing

Originally Posted By: camarokiller
Like the other guy that posted. I too am required to back in at work, so it just carries over to normal day to day.

I also used to drive a F350 super crew with 8ft box. Backing in was the only way to park that thing

Is there some kind of sensor that stops the vehicle from pulling into a spot?

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: camarokiller

Is there some kind of sensor that stops the vehicle from pulling into a spot?

Given the turning wheels are at the front of the vehicle, it's easier to get into tight spaces and still end up parked straight in one shot by backing in. A long wheelbase magnifies this issue. This is in addition to the safety advantages that others have cited.

The level of hostility you're displaying without an understanding of the issues involved might be something to step back and think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back