Want To Try 30wt oils for the 1st time

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you guys know I live in a hot tropical country near the equator, called Malaysia. The weather I would say is very similar to Miami. On hot afternoons, 40 C is possible.
In Malaysia, oil availability is severely limited. Any oil that is 0WXX or 5WXX is a synthetic or synthetic blend. The most common dino available is 20W50, and then 10W30, which are an older API spec. We have plenty of choices for 5W40 group3 synths here, and and I just have to wait for them to be on sale from time to time, usually Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Castrol Edge 5w40 and Mobil 1 5W50.
In general people here never use 30wt oils for their sub compacts or bigger , for instance Toyota vios ,altis or camry. The mechanics here always spec 40wts as minimum, citing the high temperature. Believe it or not manuals here still reflect that "choosing oils by ambient temperature" guideline. There seems to be an irrational fear over here of 30wt oils. I too used to fall in that group, until I joined BITOG.
I drive a 1980s Proton Saga, which is a copy of the 1980s Mitsubishi /Dodge colt. Recently I just got both oil temp and pressure gauges and have been monitoring the readings I get these last few days. Current fill is Shell Helix ultra API SN 5W40, before the pureplus version. I have now two 4L bottles of the pureplus version I bought on sale, for my future oil changes.

My oil pressure at "cold" start (26C) is 90psi. It would then drop as the temperature rises, at 72C the oil pressure is at 30psi. At 90C,idle, 20psi.it seems to stabilize at 93C at low loads,about 2500rpm in 5th gear,speed of 82kmh. the psi at this rpm and load is 60psi.

If I gas it to 3000rpm to 3200rpm, which gives me 100 to 110kmh, the pressure rises to 70psi, and the temp rises to 98C and the psi dropped to 66, since the temp increase and the viscosity decreased. I have not got the chance to test how far will the temp rise at this rpm because I ran out of road to my workplace.
I noticed that the oil temp reached its equilibrium, where its not rising or going down, at 2500rpm in 5th gear.
I have done quite a lot of reading on bitog and elsewhere, about intra fluid friction. My question is, is the 40wt too thick for my engine, causing intra fluid friction at the bearings, and increasing the heat at the bearings? If so, will going to a 30wt help to raise this equilibrium point to perhaps..4000rpm.
My Purpose is to delay this increase in heat of the oil to a higher rpm, and thereby reducing my bearing wear. The last UOA I did showed 25ppm of iron and 23ppm of lead on AMSOIL 10W40 in a 15000km run.

Is 70psi at 3000rpm too high a pressure ?

Looking at my readings, it should be possible to go for a 30wt oil, probably a 5W30.
there are only a few choices available here.
1. Shell HX7 5W30 semi syn, cst of 11.93 at 100C
2. Pennzoil Ultra 5W30, syn, cst of 10.3 at 100C
3. Eneos sustina 5W30 syn cst of 10.9 at 100C
4. Eneos ecotouring 5W30, semi syn not sure the cst

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 cst at 100C is 13.1

The semi syns are much cheaper than the full syns. However I am a bit reluctant to go for the HX7 as the cst is almost that of a low 40wt. Should I go for a low 30wt oil so that I can get lower oil temps. The logic is if the oil temp doesn't rise at 3000rpm, say it stays at 94 to 95C, the cst of the 30wt oil will not reach its 100C rating, but will be pretty close.
Another option is to buy a low 30wt like PU, get 3qts, then mix the rest 660ml of Shell Helix 5W40. If I go the mixing option, do I premix before or after pouring in the crankcase?
With a 30wt I might be getting 50 psi at 3000 rpm, and 60psi at 4000rpm. Does this sound like a more reasonable oil pressure ..considering most cars bypass relieves open at 65 to 75psi ?

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. If this pans out, I will keep using 30wts as long as I possibly can.

Last edited:
I think it's a reasonable thought to run a 30 grade oil. However, I'm guessing there are some here that will advise you to stick with the 20w50 or go even heavier.

It comes down to what *you* feel comfortable with. I'd either ron a 30 grade oil or a 5 or 10w40

I would want to have as much flow as possible without the bypass opening. So if you go down a grade, take a bunch of readings, and find a data point or two with lower pressure, the previous, thicker oil was in partial bypass at that point.

The 40 weight readings sound "about right", so I'm curious what 30 will bring.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I think it's a reasonable thought to run a 30 grade oil. However, I'm guessing there are some here that will advise you to stick with the 20w50 or go even heavier.

You've posted that same comment many times in many threads...got any names ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Do I need to post names? Look at any "What oil should I use" thread. There's a ton of people who will recommend absurdly heavy oil.

If you read what he actually said you will see that he is "guessing there are some here that will advise you to stick with the 20w50 or go even heavier.". If he is only guessing then why would he have names?

Ton ?

Absurdly heavy ?

Names and grades must be easy then.

OP, your oil pressure tells you next to nothing about your minimum oil film thickness. It has a reasonable correlation to the viscosity, but tells you nothing about what's happening on the loaded side of the bearing.

There's a fallacy on BITOG that flow provides lubrication, so don't be taken by that one either.

If your OEM is suggesting a grade, and that grade has an HTHS range, then stick to that range.

If it's 3.5 and above (A3/B4, or C3), then there are 40s and 30s that can provide that, you just need to be discerning as to which ones meet it...a modern xw40 will clear that bar every time.

Many of the 30s that you find will be ILSAC Energy conserving and have a minimum HTHS of 2.9, which may not meet what your OEM requires...I personally am using Castrol Edge 5W30, have magnatec 10W30, Cheif 5W30 in my stash, all A3/B4, which is the 3.5 min HTHS.

As to W grade, there are 15W30 and 20W30s available in your area at minimal cost as they are dino, which will allow you to have a 30, and a "W" grade that is appropriate for your ambient conditions.

On a 30 year old ride, I doubt you gain anything switching to a 30. A newer car may be a different story. I'd stay with what you're using, which is already a high quality synthetic - bearing wear should be minimal.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
On a 30 year old ride, I doubt you gain anything switching to a 30. A newer car may be a different story. I'd stay with what you're using, which is already a high quality synthetic - bearing wear should be minimal.

Agreed, apparently what's been used prior has performed well... I'd use a light 5W-40 at minimum...

Originally Posted By: alcyon
In general people here never use 30wt oils for their sub compacts or bigger , for instance Toyota vios ,altis or camry. The mechanics here always spec 40wts as minimum, citing the high temperature.

Believe it or not manuals here still reflect that "choosing oils by ambient temperature" guideline.

Do you have any copies of those owners manuals?

It would be interesting to see, because those vehicles in the USA would most likely spec a 0w20 oil

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I would want to have as much flow as possible without the bypass opening. So if you go down a grade, take a bunch of readings, and find a data point or two with lower pressure, the previous, thicker oil was in partial bypass at that point.

I am curious too !

If your OEM is suggesting a grade, and that grade has an HTHS range, then stick to that range.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Shannow, my cars manual was written in 1984. Do you have an idea what was the HTHS of 20W50 and 10W40 dino in 1984-85?

My engine had a rebuild 10 years back. Its still in great shape and only has about 135000kms on it,as it was only my weekend driver. I started driving this car everyday starting this year. Oil pressure looks good too, so thats why I am contemplating this.

if the pressure relief valve is opening at 70psi and my engine is revving at 3000rpm, what happens when i rev to 4000rpm, wont oil pressure max out at say 75psi and the rest will be dumped back to the sump ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LubeLuke

If you read what he actually said you will see that he is "guessing there are some here that will advise you to stick with the 20w50 or go even heavier.". If he is only guessing then why would he have names?
Why bother to make the remark AT ALL if he's "only guessing"?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I am curious too !

Thanks to everyone who replied. Shannow, my cars manual was written in 1984. Do you have an idea what was the HTHS of 20W50 and 10W40 dino in 1984-85?

My engine had a rebuild 10 years back. Its still in great shape and only has about 135000kms on it,as it was only my weekend driver. I started driving this car everyday starting this year. Oil pressure looks good too, so thats why I am contemplating this.

if the pressure relief valve is opening at 70psi and my engine is revving at 3000rpm, what happens when i rev to 4000rpm, wont oil pressure max out at say 75psi and the rest will be dumped back to the sump ?
Perhaps, instead of worrying over inconsequential differences in grades, you should install an oil cooler.

At your temperatures in Malaysia (unless you live at high altitudes), a straight SAE 30 would likely be fine. If you're trying for higher fuel mileage, then a 10W30 or similar, if your manual says it's OK. For instance, my brother's old '87 Tercel, 1.5 liter 3E engine recommends 10W40, but the same displacement engine today likely calls for a 0W20. Engines have changed a lot since the '80s!

Its not an all sump or nothing proposition. My Rogue didn't like running on fresh Valvoline 5w30 grade "synthetic" so I have benn moderating this viscosity downwards by adding 0w20. Im up to a 750ml in 4.5 L sump and it performs about right with no knocking and improved response and fuel mileage.

I might buy a litre of compatible oil and substitue that into the current sump and see how she runs. Take oil PSIG reading and physical and mental notes. All engines are different, as are the driving conditions. Your best bet may be 50/50. I have runn successfully in a 5L sump 10w30 CI/SN mixed with 5w30 ILSAC GF4Shell

The 20W50 was in the high 4s for sure, and probably close to 5 (or above).

The 10W40 COULD have been down to 2.9 (the early multigrades in that grade weren't very good), but was most likely in the mid 3s (An SAE "straight" 40 would have been over 4)

The ACEA, on even their "thick" range have an HTHS minimum of 3.5, so in my mind, that's the target I aim for, 3.6 to 4 unless the OEM has a specific reason (like BMW with 10W60 for rod bearings on certain engines).

In your climate, as others have suggested, an SAE30 would get the job done...not sure about availability, but we don't have many well graded 30s in Oz (mower oil is typically the best spark ignition grade depending on manufacturer).

So a 30 meeting A3/B4, or a 40 meeting same will likely put you where the OEM thought you needed to be with the oils of the day.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
People in las vegas and phoenix,az are running 20,s when its 120f out.you will be fine.

This.

I live in Phoenix, and we've had highs this summer between 102 and 112 every day for the past 30 days. My daily driver (2010 Fusion 2.5) specs 5w20, and I run a mix of 5w20 and 5w30 with no problems. I suspect the 5w30 is mostly shearing down to 5w20 anyways.

This car has over 200,000 miles on this, with no problems. You'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: Chris142
People in las vegas and phoenix,az are running 20,s when its 120f out.you will be fine.

This.

I live in Phoenix, and we've had highs this summer between 102 and 112 every day for the past 30 days. My daily driver (2010 Fusion 2.5) specs 5w20, and I run a mix of 5w20 and 5w30 with no problems. I suspect the 5w30 is mostly shearing down to 5w20 anyways.

This car has over 200,000 miles on this, with no problems. You'll be fine.

I wasn't aware that Ford designed the Mitsubishi derived engine in the OP's Proton...

Well I've just learned something for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back