High Mileage Oil Recommendations

OP must experiment to find what works best. We get best results with the ML semi syn, but it could be different for him.

I'm betting one of them will surprise him...

The viscosity chart in your manual would look very different if they were doing it today. I have a 97 Camry with the sludge prone 5SFE engine. The owners manual calls for 10W30. I've successfully run 5W30 year round for a long time. The notion that you shouldn't use 5W30 in the summer was sort of odd when they suggested it. My guess was always that they figured 10W30 was acceptable for summer and recommended it due to the smaller quantities of viscosity index improver in the 10W30. VII wasn't so great back in the mid nineties and before.

Originally Posted By: Apples555
Hello all,

I am looking for an oil that would be best for my '95 4AFE Corolla with 220k miles.

The engine doesn't burn any oil when run with Kendall GT-1 High Mileage oil. However, Valvoline Maxlife disappears at a rate of a quart every 1000 miles. I'm not sure why.

I would like to start doing my own oil changes, and finding Kendall oil individually is very difficult.

What is your recommendation?

Hi Apples555 - Since your '95 Corolla has over 220k miles (bravo!) we recommend our Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 with PurePlus Technology. The high mileage additive package blended with our natural gas base oil creates a unique and powerful motor oil that helps to reduce leaks and oil consumption which should help with the 1 quart loss you've been experiencing. The Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage is currently available at AutoZone's nation wide and is expanding to other national retailers and online retailers in the coming months. Feel free to private message us with any additional questions! - The Pennzoil Team

When will wal mart be selling that oil at a reasonable price? I have always had great luck with Pennzoil high mileage. I wish Pennzoil will seal their jugs better like a lot of other oil companies do with the same cap and also the silver inner seal because they are most likely to leak.. When you look at motor oil in the stores the pennzoil jugs are the ones that make the mess and some are not filled up all the way because they leak!
I think people will buy more pennzoil if they learn how to seal their jugs better.

Exactly captain.. In the Autozone near me its $8 a qt. A bit high for me. I can get Ultra at wally world for $29 and that is tax included. Way cheaper than $40 for 5 QTS.

Tell ya what.. It ALL but disappeared from all the stores here in SE Virginia a yr and a half ago. But now at least it is almost all the wally world. Except the darn one five mins from where I live. Stupid

Thank you for the recommendations everyone. I changed the oil yesterday with Mobil Super High Mileage 10W30.

Could my past oil consumption have been a result of a weeping oil filter? I never noticed any oil on the ground or burning smells.

Originally Posted By: Apples555

Could my past oil consumption have been a result of a weeping oil filter? I never noticed any oil on the ground or burning smells.

Not likely.

Well, I'm 2700 miles in and the level has dropped to right above minimum from halfway with Mobil Super HM 10W30 cold. Hot, there's only a sliver on the dipstick. After my daily highway drive today, I looked under the hood and saw this, accompanied by the strong smell of burnt oil.

IMG_0310_zpsi9jlujrc.jpg

IMG_0312_zps1xkl2w9d.jpg

Valve gasket?

For comparison, here's the engine when I last changed the oil in May.

IMG_1216_zpsa8f2962c.jpg

I’m a Maxlife fan. You might also try the Chevron Havoline ProDS “Lifelong” Full synthetic in the 6qt smart change box at Walmart.

Edit: whoops just saw the date on the thread. Oh well.

Just wanted to pop back in here and say that I passed 300k miles on the Corolla, and I still use Kendall HM (now called Endurance). It's a very good oil indeed!

y4mHgfgiH1g_wbr9Q_3dH8doYHMnPkLzdOEuB-dg0wCuvhMAyX98QSwgFuyejXORDKZGYIjnyOBn8JA6rVE9j89a82DQtFkBzn5esTIrKwZxLxf-obfOHUgOAQSm_JpK0iBSQ3mbymgHbVkNFxAeBY5kl_mj2CiTMW1f-_785zcEHnGivPUrgZgT722zDbkPqt1
Great to hear. Seems like so long as you keep oil in those things they never stop.

Back