airaid oiled or dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are really just a recording vacuum gauge. Google Filterminder. You install them in the intake tract, above the throttle and as near to the filter as possible (and away from a bend, as this can skew the reading up a little). There are various types, including dash mounted units. OR, you can simply use a vacuum gauge and a temporary test port, but if it doesn't record, you should have an assistant to record the peak number so you won't kill yourself gauge-watching.

Whichever type you get, for your purposes, I would suggest one with the largest range possible. Some of the recording gauges go as high as 30 inches and as low as 10. Vacuum gauges go as low as 5 inches and up to 30. If you go that route, get one with the largest dial face you can find and with the most increments (1 inch increments is ideal).

All of this only comes into play at WOT. For max power, you want the lowest practical number possible.

Yes, I understand the concept. I just don't see anything as far as installation/adapters to fit it into place.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yes, I understand the concept. I just don't see anything as far as installation/adapters to fit it into place.

I see. "Some assembly required" ( : < ) . For example, on the Honda, the air box was sufficiently thick that I could drill and tap, then I installed a fitting with some glue. My Ford F150 had an unused port on the air filter housing into which the gauge was plugged. The Ford diesel, I drilled and tapped into the alloy housing. I've see brass bulkhead fittings used in the air filter housing. The remote, in dash units need only a small hose fitting and enough vacuum hose to reach into the cabin.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Jim, I have a vacuum gauge for compression testing. Could something like that be used?

Yes. The larger the dial, the easier it is to read, but yes.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Any air filter can "filter down to 2 microns" at some percentage. Might only be 10 percent, but it can catch some. The only Airaid tests I have on file show the following under ISO 5011:2000

Airaid Fitler# 700-469 Synthmax: 99.18 % using fine dust
AFE Filter # 21-40035 (dry): 96.76 % on fine dust

Which source is this interesting information from?

Originally Posted By: Izb
Any air filter can "filter down to 2 microns" at some percentage. Might only be 10 percent, but it can catch some. The only Airaid tests I have on file show the following under ISO 5011:2000

They were found in one of the reports listed below. They were once posted on the AEM website but after K&N bought the company, they were removed because they didn't show oiled cotton gauze in a good light. They may still be on the web somewhere.

SWRI Test Report Project 03.10955.008, there are several parts to this with dates of July 20, 2005, Many 19, 2005, July, 5 2005

SWRI Test Report Project 08.12717.01.04 dated Sept 6 2007

Thanks. This make my decision easier on dry filter choice. AEM, then Airaid.

Airaid Filter# 700-470: 98.43 % using fine dust

AEM Filter tested in Same conditions:

AEM Dryflow # 21-3059 (grey style) Filter: 99.47 % on fine dust When tested after clening, showed same result)

AFE Filters:

AFE Filter # 72-40035 (oiled cotton): 98.54 % on fine dust

Incidentally a K&N tested under the same conditions

K&N Filter #RE0870: 96.13% on fine dust

Originally Posted By: Izb

They were found in one of the reports listed below. They were once posted on the AEM website but after K&N bought the company, they were removed because they didn't show oiled cotton gauze in a good light. They may still be on the web somewhere.

SWRI Test Report Project 03.10955.008, there are several parts to this with dates of July 20, 2005, Many 19, 2005, July, 5 2005

SWRI Test Report Project 08.12717.01.04 dated Sept 6 2007

If i understand this correctly, this is from the old AEM website and was taken as gospel? But anything K&N posts on their website is just "marketing".

What about using one of those conical filters with the pantyhose mesh wraps? (e.g. K&N Drycharger wrap)? I've been using them on my Mustang GT and Cobalt SS Turbo. I found that the wrap keeps out almost all of the grit and dirt that normally clogs up the K&N filters. I'm sure it won't filter out all the fine dust but it should help?

... Some of the recording gauges go as high as 30 inches and as low as 10. Vacuum gauges go as low as 5 inches and up to 30. ...
Vacuum gauges are conventionally graduated in units of inches of mercury, not inches of water, so keep in mind that

13.6" water = about 1" Hg.

Therefore, if you're measuring filter restriction with a vacuum gauge, you'll see much lower numbers. ScanGauge, incidentally, shows vacuum in units of psi.

I put a drop in oiled Airaid filter on my 05' Duramax. Drove it 300k, cleaning the filter every 25-30k and oiling with K&N oil since it was available. Worked perfect for 300k miles on dusty Texas oilfield roads, never an issue. That same filter is now on my 2015 Silverado 6.2L and at 40k. Its been a great filter. Just maintain them correctly and don't overoil them and enjoy for a lifetime. These people with torn up, rotted out filters didn't maintain them correctly, that's their fault, not the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back