Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a new little Chevy with an automatic Transmission . My understanding it is specified Dexron VI .

When time comes to change fluid , That is what I will use .

But , I am curious . Is Dexron VI a conventional , synthetic blend or full synthetic .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

It has to be a synthetic blend by GM's licensing standards. GM's OEM fluid is a syn blend. Only full syn Dex VI is Valvoline's DexVI but even Supertech's synblend licensed Dex VI is excellent for any GM within warranty.

A licensed DEXVI fluid will have the licensing number dot-printed on the bottle. Multi-vehicle ATF (Maxlife) will list DexVI compatibility but will not carry the GM licensing number.

Last edited:
It's all the same if it's licensed DexronVI. Different blends of group 3, so it's up to the company selling it whether or not they call it synthetic or not since you're allowed to call group 3 synthetic in the USA. The additive package is all the same and only a few companies that offer the base oil so they may have slight variations but essentially the same if it's licensed.

If you go to gmpowertrain.com you can find the full list of approved fluids. At least the ones that are also listed as DEXRON-HP are genuine full synthetic, i.e. Group IV. The vast majority of the others listed are, as was previously stated, Group III. Approved additive packages can come from Afton, Infineum, or Lubrizol but they all meet the same very stringent standards.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
Havoline has a synthetic Dex VI fluid - I just bought a case off Amazon for $47 (free delivery with Prime).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1Y3...3XZVUE22CRMYIQR

So , this is a full synthetic ?

They are also showing free shipping for orders over $ 35 .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

As someone mentioned earlier check the licence number on the label/bottle. You can find the licence numbers on the list that I referred to. Since it doesn't claim DEXRON-HP it's probably a Group III blend.

Brand names are meaningless without the approval licence numbers, which are required to be on the packaging as a condition of approval.

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
License number for the Havoline synthetic is J-62300

Well, as long as that licence number is printed on the container, that's fine then isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back