2014 diesel chevy cruze - what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Koz1
What about Motul 8100 X-Clean C3 5w-30.
Cant find much on it really.
I can get it as cheap as the Total.

If you want to stick to actual dexos2 oils, Motul 8100 5w-30 is not.
They do have 8100 5w-40 as officially dexos2.

Do what truckers have been doing for years when December 1 rolls around and outdoor start temperatures get brutally cold: For you, put in a cup of diesel fuel or 8% sump capacity, in your oil sump on Dec 1, and by March 1 it will be burned off. Start with a 0w-40 or 5w-40 dexos2 oil for high temperature viscosity protection, and get your cold starts working better during the brief period. I'm trying to see if Molakule or someone will tell what the downside of doing this often-used trick is, in my case using MMO in a gas engine oil sump in the winter. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3786354/Re:_How_to_Reduce_Viscosity_of#Post3786354

Last edited:
There is a MOTUL Specific Motul dexos2 5W-30 Global, I dont see it on the Canada site though.
All I need is ACEA C3, Dexos2 would be nice but doesn't need to be.

The local Distributor is telling me the ESP cost me the same as at Part Source. Highway Robbery if you ask me.

Yep, that's no fair at all. Does it ever get rolled back at Canadian Tire or Partsource with their occasional M1 specials? As far as I know, the ESP is only available in 1 L bottles, so that makes matters that much worse.

The local Distributor is telling me the ESP cost me the same as at Part Source. Highway Robbery if you ask me.
If anyone can find it at a decent price in the GTA I will buy it down there as I have to go there now and again.
I returned the Total just because I want to Really try the ESP 5w-30.
As well I have to fix my prior post as its not 0w-30 that's specced during winter its 0w40 Dexos2 or Acea C3, so they want a thicker oil in colder temperatures. Engineers can you figure these peoples out?
Lower pour point yes but much higher HTHS in colder weather.

Lower pour point? YES. Higher HTHS? YES! You have same engine as Opel's in Europe, and they all go for HTHS 3.5 or higher. In my vocabulary, anything that has turbo should get HTHS 3.5 or higher.
Now 0W40 is thicker at operating temperature, but the first number in winter is the most important. 0W40 will have better flow then 5W30 during start. 5W30 might reach operating temperature faster. If you ask me in winter, I would go definitely with 0W40 Dexos2 or Acea C3.
Did you try Amazon?
How much is Castrol LL-03? That oils is also very good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]
So people will:

1.) Pay a premium for a diesel engine in the Cruze

2.) Pay anywhere from $.25-$.60 MORE per gallon for diesel over gasoline here in Michigan

3.) Have to buy Dexos2 oil at the dealer for $6-$8+ per QUART

What are the economic advantages of opting for a diesel engine over the gasoline engine they put in the Cruze Eco again?

Depends on how much you drive and how much you like the diesel-low-rpm-torque-punch fun and cruising range of a Cruze Deezal. OTR truckers love diesels for good reason. If I only did like less than 30 mile per day, then a gasoline car might be the right choice.

Motul 8100 X-Clean C3 5w-30 It Is.

Dexos2 is a tougher spec than just ACEA C3.
Motul 8100 X-clean 5w-30 is not a dexos2 oil.
Just saying, don't you want the assurance that the oil is full dexos2? There must be a reason why the X-clean 5w-30 did not qualify, and the X-clean 5w-40 did.
Lubrizol tells us dexos2 is tougher:
gxG65Ei.jpg

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Motul 8100 X-Clean C3 5w-30 It Is.

Dexos2 is a tougher spec than just ACEA C3.
Motul 8100 X-clean 5w-30 is not a dexos2 oil.
Just saying, don't you want the assurance that the oil is full dexos2? There must be a reason why the X-clean 5w-30 did not qualify, and the X-clean 5w-40 did.
Lubrizol tells us dexos2 is tougher:
gxG65Ei.jpg

Thank You for that comment.
Now overlay MB-Approval 229.51.
BMW LL-04 and VW 502 / 505 with ACEA C3.
Its a great oil and I am good with it Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Do what truckers have been doing for years when December 1 rolls around and outdoor start temperatures get brutally cold: For you, put in a cup of diesel fuel or 8% sump capacity, in your oil sump on Dec 1, and by March 1 it will be burned off.

Darn, I miss all the cool info! Let's see, well over 3 decades as commercial heavy truck driver and owner. 10 years of it in the Alaska interior. 5 million logged miles, and I have never heard of putting diesel fuel in engine oil sump. Probably because it is just about the stupidest idea I have ever heard. Fuel dilution is not desirable and condemnation limits are considerably less than the 8% you mention. That idea is good if one is trying to destroy their motor. Some folks just have $30K laying around and just can't wait to drop in a crate motor, I guess. God knows how all these "trucker solutions" get started. I never cease to be amazed at what some folks will suggest putting in equipment oil and fuel.

That had to be a facetious comment. Hard to imagine anyone actually doing that. But, I have seen some real lame brain things over the years. Some people just have way to much time on their hands and a very boring life to run around and dream this kind of stuff up. Now some joker is actually going to try this in their motor next winter.

For a diesel Cruze, I would run any name brand, full synthetic, 5W-30 oil with the ACEA C3 spec., and sleep easy at night.

If I wanted more I would look for the DEXOS 2 or MB229.51 spec. I would probably go the MB as it is easier to find and a great standard.

The only DEXOS 2 oil I have seen around here is the valvoline SynPower MST 5W-40. It's rated C3, BMW LL04, MB 2295.51 and DEXOS 2. It's a little heavy, but that wouldn't bother me too much once the car was out of warranty.

Still I would probably go for the SynPower XL-III 5W-30 which is rated ACEA C3, BMW LL-04 and MB229.51.

We also have a Castrol Edge Diesel 5W-30 which is ACEA C3 and BMW LL-04.

I'm sure there are more options, but that is what is stocked at my local store. If I had to buy one today, I would go the SynPower XL-III 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I suppose it depends on how old they are. If they bought gasoline or motor oil in the early 1970s, they would have been doing so with Imperial measures. I bet I can still find containers in my garage that list Imperial, U.S., and metric measures.

Miles are the same in the Imperial system and the U.S. system.

Same here in Oz, we had all three measurements, but mostly metric now. People still often talk using the older terms.

Hey, G37, nice car !!!
How many Leagues to the Hogshead do you get out of that ?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many of those I get; I'd have to get Abraham Simpson to do the conversion. On a highway trip, I can get under 8 L/100 km, but I usually get closer to 11.4 L/100 km, averaged throughout the year.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm not sure how many of those I get; I'd have to get Abraham Simpson to do the conversion. On a highway trip, I can get under 8 L/100 km, but I usually get closer to 11.4 L/100 km, averaged throughout the year.

That is actually very good consumption you're getting here! I know a guy that had 350Z , he was getting about 15-17l/100km , but car was used around town mostly.

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos2-brands

Besides the above bribes paid in full fluids, below are some rebels:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m...etic-motor-oil/
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=142&pcid=21
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=144&pcid=21

Since its GM, I'd probably be a little early on the oil changes. Don't want to find out that the algorithm for the OLM is incorrect, or other issue that will be R&D'd by the consumer.

Dog gonnit, no manual trans for the diesel?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
the same diesel engine in the Giulietta is scheduled for 22k or 2 year changes...

It's not the same any more. After the unholy marriage ended evolution of Jtd engine went in somewhat different ways. Engines in 159, Croma and G. Punto share most similarities with their GM Opel siblings, but still different engine management.

I doubt there's any significant difference. even a lot of the bolt-on stuff is interchangeable.

turbo's are different though... not enough to make significant maintenance differences though.

I doubt there's any significant difference. even a lot of the bolt-on stuff is interchangeable.

turbo's are different though... not enough to make significant maintenance differences though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back