Best vw502 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
VW 502 requires all ACEA tests plus the VW T4 test. MB229,5 is no more challenging from a hardware point of view.

MB 229.5 has to pass all the same tests as required for VW 502.00 spec, plus many other tests. According to lubrizol, the 229.5 spec surpasses VW 502.00 spec when it comes to wear, sludge, and piston deposits. Is this not correct?

According to Lubrizol, MB 229.5 even surpasses the A40 spec in some areas. But then again, I'm not sure how they can make an educated apples-to-apples comparison if the tests are performed on different hardware.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Why 5W-40 and not 5W-30? I.e., given the same specs: (A3/B4), Porsche A40 and VW 502 what will be better in 5W-40 compared in 5W-30?

But the specs will not be the same since Porsche A40 does not allow Xw-30 grades.

Quattro Pete,

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why 5W-40 and not 5W-30? I.e., given the same specs: (A3/B4), Porsche A40 and VW 502 what will be better in 5W-40 compared in 5W-30?

But the specs will not be the same since Porsche A40 does not allow Xw-30 grades.

Mea culpa. I have edited the post.

bobbydavro,

The best oil? 5W-40 with A3/B4(2012), Porsche A40 and VW 502. Alternatively a 5W-40 C3 VW 502 / 505 01 if your are confident with the fuel quality

Update: as mentioned further, the specs will not be the same, so the above phraze should be read as:

Why 5W-40 and not 5W-30? I.e., given the same specs: (A3/B4), MB 229.5 and VW 502 what will be better in 5W-40 compared in 5W-30?

Better HTHS and wear performance

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
VW 502 requires all ACEA tests plus the VW T4 test. MB229,5 is no more challenging from a hardware point of view.

MB 229.5 has to pass all the same tests as required for VW 502.00 spec, plus many other tests. According to lubrizol, the 229.5 spec surpasses VW 502.00 spec when it comes to wear, sludge, and piston deposits. Is this not correct?

According to Lubrizol, MB 229.5 even surpasses the A40 spec in some areas. But then again, I'm not sure how they can make an educated apples-to-apples comparison if the tests are performed on different hardware.

MB229.5 only needs a M271WR test in addition to ACEA and they also follow ATIEL Codes of practice which allows some flexibility. The M271WR is pretty easy to pass. They do have a few additional bench tests and the KO90 stay in grade requirements but these aren't really a challenge.

VW requires all testing on the final commercial oil, The T4 test is a challenge, especially on mid saps technology (min EOT TBN) and also the 250hr RNT test (this is much harder than the MB wear requirements)

The Lubrizol graphs are rather rudimentary and don't really go into the detail needed for formulating oils. VW also require Ref + 1 Std Dev in the VW TDi, MB are ok with equivilant to ref.

MB229.5 only needs a M271WR test in addition to ACEA and they also follow ATIEL Codes of practice which allows some flexibility. The M271WR is pretty easy to pass. They do have a few additional bench tests and the KO90 stay in grade requirements but these aren't really a challenge.

M271 Sludge test
M271 Wear test
OM646 wear test
OM646 piston cleanliness and piston/tappet/bearing wear test
VW TDI piston cleanliness test

bobbydavro,

All those tests are part of ACEA except the M271WR.
The 646cleanliness,sludge are additional parameters of the same engine test. The test is primarily a wear test though

Can you please comment on Benito's message which is addressed to you two posts above:

Originally Posted By: Benito
What does "better" HTHS mean? Higher?
In which case why not go to xw50?

The reason I am proactive regarding this is because I am hesitating between 5W-30 and 5W-40 myself for my Nissan engine so your input will be very helpful on this matter.

Thanks.

All those tests are part of ACEA except the M271WR.

The 646cleanliness,sludge are additional parameters of the same engine test. The test is primarily a wear test though

The test may be the same, but the required results are different. The MB 229.5 spec calls for lower wear limits on the same test, compared to ACEA A3/B4.

Also, there are parts of this test where ACEA just asks you to report the result, whereas the MB spec has an actual limit defined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back