John Deere Kawasaki Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our GX325 is due for an oil change. It is an 18 hp Kawasaki engine. Last year I bought a kit for $45 that had spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter and 2 qts of Turf Gard 10W-30 that I used. This year I just plan to change the oil and filter and was wondering with all the changes to oil if there was a better substitute?

I found this on a John Deere Question/Answer website:

Question:

What type of oil should I use in my John Deere Lawn Tractor (Gasoline Engine)?

Affected Equipment:

All Riding Lawn Equipment with gasoline 4 cycle engines

Answer:

In general, for gasoline engines you should select your oil based on the expected air temperature range during the period between oil changes.

The following John Deere oils are preferred:

Turf Guard 10W-30

Plus-4 10W-30

Other oils may be used if John Deere oils are not available, providing they meet one of the following specifications:

SAE 5W-30 API Service Classification SG or higher

SAE 10W-30 API Service Classification SG or higher

SAE 30 API Service Classification SG or higher

Synthetic engine oil can be used in Lawn & Garden products, but we recommend waiting until the second oil change interval (about 50 hours) to switch from petroleum-based engine oil to synthetic oil. This ensures that the engine is thoroughly broken in. If synthetic oil is used, continue to use the viscosity recommended in the Operator's Manual.

Note: The use of synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 is acceptable; however, you must change the oil at the recommended service intervals as outlined in the Operator's Manual, NOT the extended intervals as described on the oil bottle.

When adding oil after an oil change add oil no higher than FULL mark on dipstick. Use approximately the amount of oil listed in the Specifications section of your operator manual. Do not overfill.

For oil capacity please reference your Operators Manual. Some operator's manuals are available online.

To purchase John Deere oil please see your nearest John Deere Dealer

Learn More on John Deere Oils and Lubricants

https://groundscare.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/262/~/type-of-oil-(riding-lawn-equipment)

Conventional, synthetic, a different weight? We live in PA and mow an acre of grass a week and then it sits all winter so it is not used hard. I never have to add oil so maybe I should just stick with the Turf Gard.

Also, I have a Super Tech 4967 filter that was for a car I traded years ago. I cross referenced it to the John Deere AM107423 filter so I was thinking I may as well just use it. It is about 7 years old. Any concerns with this filter?

I have a JD GT235 garden tractor with the 18HP Kawasaki V-Twin. I use Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck @ 50 hour oil changes.

I also use the Purolator cross referenced oil filter.

I did perform a couple of UOA's on this tractor, with better results from the TDT, so that's what I stick with.

I'm using Rotella T6 in my 425, which has a 20 HP Kawasaki. As others have pointed out in other threads, these Kawasaki engines really seem to do well on a 40 grade oil. If you don't want to use synthetic, any 15W-40 or 10W-30 HDEO should work well.

The Super Tech 4967 filter should work just fine. It's likely identical to the John Deere filter, I believe both are Champ filters. I'm using a Motorcraft FL-910S on mine, which is slightly larger than the 4967, but a perfect fit.

^^ What he said.

I have a Big Dog Z-turn with a Kawasaki engine. They really do like 40-weight oils and they're recommended in the Kawasaki engine manual that came with yours.

Run a HDEO like Rotella, Delo, Delvac. I run Rotella 15W-40 in the hot summer months, and T6 5W-40 in the cooler months (or DELO equivalents, of course).

Running oils like this, the engine will easily outlast the mower itself.

Last edited:
JD and Kawasaki are going to recommend 30wts for these engines. Same old same old. It's an easy to source oil that covers a broad range of operating conditions and will keep the engine going for a long time. If you've got a deere dealer nearby, you can go wrong with Tuff Guard. Especially for your 1hr/week in moderate temperatures.

Are 30wts the best choice for everybody? I don't think so and totally agree with all the above.

I have QSUD 10w30 in my lawnmower and a leftover factory Mazda RX8 filter on it. So far it's doing great.

pick a 10w30 or 40wt of your choice and run your automotive filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I'm using Rotella T6 in my 425, which has a 20 HP Kawasaki. As others have pointed out in other threads, these Kawasaki engines really seem to do well on a 40 grade oil. If you don't want to use synthetic, any 15W-40 or 10W-30 HDEO should work well.

I'm not seeing any mention of 40 weight oils in the above information from John Deere.

I've used nothing but 10w-30 in a 20hp Kaw FD620D, and I'm closing in on the 3000 hour mark.

I also use 10w-30 in a 17hp Kaw FC540V.

(Both engines have Rotella 10w-30 in them)

I found that 15w-40 is simply too heavy for the FC540V, in colder temps, and would not recommend it. 10w-30 provides all of the protection that the engine will ever need.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I found that 15w-40 is simply too heavy for the FC540V, in colder temps, and would not recommend it.

That's why I chose the 5W-40 synthetic. It's start up flow is fantastic. And, yes, it gets down to freezing here too.

The Kawasaki engine manual has a sliding scale which recommends up to a 40 weight oil. I use ONLY 40 weight oils on customers Kawasaki engines (unless they choose otherwise) as they run really well on them, have less consumption, and last a long time problem free.

15W40 or 5W40 Rotella, Delo, etc would be my first choice.

2nd choice would be Mobil 1 10W30 high mileage or Rotella synthetic blend 10W30.

I have the older 320 that is a 18HP Kawi...liquid cooled, twin.

It takes two quarts, so I poured in one quart of Mobil 1 0w40 and one quart of Mobil 1 0w20.....just cause I had them on hand. It sure starts easy and runs smooth. As everyone knows, these two oils are really robust.

I think I will keep with this soup.....I want to keep the 0w in the engine, as this guy is my snow plow in the winter, sometimes having to start it up with outside temps dropping as low a negative 20.

If I only operated in warm weather, Rotella T5 10w30 would be my pick.

I have an X530 and have run nothing but TurfGard 10w-30 in it for years along with a half dozen other air cooled engines. These Kawasaki engines aren't picky and TurfGard is a very good choice for any air cooled engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back