Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common sense says I should have sold all TMA Friday and bought it back today. Oh well. We'll see.
coffee.gif

Think since Friday the market is still giving a clever investor an unique opportunity, may be one of the last ones, to go out into cash with a profit or, at least, without serious losses.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts about ESD the Legg mason ETF focusing on emerging market debt?

It is sold at a big discount, and yields about 8%.

Ive heard some say that people shouldnt be in emerging markets or debt right now, but have not had any success for a good answer why in my time investigating. Perhaps someone more knowledgable on here can comment...

Distribution is increasing (from $0.1025 to $0.14 per share), which is good for something to sit on the side and do dividend reinvestment with, or so it seems. Not entrely sure how nations offering their debt relates to domestic or established country rates, as the risk ishigher and thus the interest rate is higher.

Again, besides playing the bond game, it seems to me that something that yields between 7-10% depending upon share price is pretty decent to sit in a div. reinvestment to add some stability to a portfolio at this time...

http://www.etfconnect.com/select/fundpages/global.asp?MFID=122060

Thanks!!!

JMH

I own 300 shares of ESD. Watch for a gaining dollar....slimchance there. So watch for sellers....but other than the usual interest rate and int'l and quality risks, it pays well.

Yet others say the emerging markets have not yet been played out. I tend to ignore what "experts" have to say. Half the time they're right, half the time they're wrong.

Mortgage players will present their reports in October and this month does not inspire me with confidence because there is certain magie of figures and events:

1907 Bankers' Panic ... - October 1907
Black Thursday ......... - October 24, 1929
Black Monday ........... - October 19, 1987
Asian flu mini-crash ... - October 27, 1997

Besides, this year is the 10th, 20th and 100th anniversary of 1997, 1987 and 1907 crisises.

Quote:

Mortgage players will present their reports in October and this month does not inspire me with confidence because there is certain magie of figures and events:

1907 Bankers' Panic ... - October 1907
Black Thursday ......... - October 24, 1929
Black Monday ........... - October 19, 1987
Asian flu mini-crash ... - October 27, 1997

Besides, this year is the 10th, 20th and 100th anniversary of 1997, 1987 and 1907 crisises.

Genius way to make investment decisions!

Did you make a decision on ESD? Goes ex-d today, and pays along with about 14 or 15 of my other funds on 8/31. (31 is 13 backwards, btw) I didn't know the dividend had increased, until you mentioned it. So I went and checked my other global income funds (closed end, etf and mf's) and they all had dividends clicked up a bit. Nice. Good bargain.

Quote:

Genius way to make investment decisions!

But would not it be more genius to make an investment and even to think about such decisions during finance turmoil, when the whole system is close to a crash ? Necessary to be really a very lucky fellow in order later not to consider a gentleman offer (3 in 1): an apartment at the 100th floor, a rope with a soap and a box of sleeping pills, everything at $ 99.99 only !

Quote:

Did you make a decision on ESD? Goes ex-d today, and pays along with about 14 or 15 of my other funds on 8/31. (31 is 13 backwards, btw) I didn't know the dividend had increased, until you mentioned it. So I went and checked my other global income funds (closed end, etf and mf's) and they all had dividends clicked up a bit. Nice. Good bargain.

I own a few hundred shares already...

Just bouncing my thoughts against other informed folks, whether they liked it or not. Seems to me to be a good deal, I guess the same for you.

Thanks!

JMH

There's been a lot of short covering in the last few days to drive the market back up.
So far, it's been a relief rally, and not a new uptrend starting, according to the charts.

The next few days will tell the tale; if the market continues to go up, the downtrend will be broken. (so far it's still a downtrend) If not, then it's down some more, to retest the lows, and almost certainly going through them to new lows.....
twocents.gif

If we have a carry through with volume up today, I believe a tale of overeaction can be told by the winners.

I just want to know, what were the ratings of the subprime mortgage packages held by the Bank of China. What were they thinking????

Today found David Walker's presentations made on August 7, 2007. Very impressive by their frankness:

http://www.gao.gov/cghome/d071188cg.pdf
http://www.gao.gov/cghome/d071189cg.pdf

Interesting, but the situation in Japan is not far better.

Sorry for touching your painful "corns", but there were waves of worries here too, but they are growing now: one week after the turmoil it seems the US issues started to be displayed in Russia too and most likely will be soon thrown over to Ukraine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back