Magnum transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Dodge Magnum /3.5 v6 /5 speed auto. I had the transmission fluid and filter changed and want to know if anyone knows how to check the fluid level. It is a sealed system and I just want to be sure. Roger

I have a 06 Dakota with the 545RFE auto, has a dipstick located at the right rear of the engine. I believe the cvt is sealed, don't know of any others,

Last edited:
Bring to a dealer, they will warm it up and use their DRB3 tool to check fluid temp and they have a special stick to measure against.

There is a port on the trans to use a dip stick, but only dealers have it, you could buy one and drive car and get up to temp.

I would have done this before I had the fluid changed and used as referrence.

Too late now, but what I've done in the pastis clean the oil stick off, measure the before and mark it with a sharpie.
That way you at least know its as full as it was before if you do an exchange or drain and fill.

You can buy the sticks for like $100

There's no dipstick, but there's a dipstick TUBE in your NAG-1 transmission. You can check the fluid yourself- you have to buy an aftermarket dipstick from a parts store (a nice long one that will go in the tube far enough to actually bottom out in the pan). Then follow the procedure that involves warming the vehicle, inserting the dipstick until it bottoms, measuring in millimeters from the tip to the fluid level, and then checking the transmission temperature. You can either use the electronic vehicle info center if your car has one, or buy a gauge you can slide down the dipstick tube. Then there are graphs of level vs. temp. All of that's on the web if you google it.

Skip to the end of this guy's video to see him measure the level in the same trans on a Grand Cherokee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJDvuZ4Wts

And here's the fluid level vs. temp chart:

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/2154k-what-s-proper-fill-level-transmission-oil.html#re.v/175/

Last edited:
Roger, note that many LX owners with the NAG1 have used a giant zip tie marked in 10 mm increments.

Trust me on this as I have owned one since 05, get the level within 5 mm of spec and she'll be happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back