2007 6.0 Powerstroke: DELO 400 LE 5W30 4,607 MILES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my first oil analysis report in from Blackstone. This is my 2nd run to 5k with Delo 400 LE 5w30. Previous oil was exclusively Amsoil OE 10w30 diesel oil. Any feedback is welcomed as I plan on keeping this truck as long as possible since its paid off. I plan to stay with the Delo 400 LE 5w30.

A little background on the truck. 2007 F-250 4x4 with SCT tuner. Used a couple days a week for work and several times a year pulling a loaded 18k pound Keystone 425 toyhauler 5th wheel trailer and a 17k horse trailer. Bulletproofed 3 years ago with the familiar ARP head studs, new oem head gaskets, coolant filter, EGR delete, New oil cooler, new radiator, new upgraded water pump, 4:10 gears, front truetrac/rear detroit locker. Only Motorcraft fuel/oil filters used. Despite horror stories on the 6.0, mine has yet to leave me stranded towing my heavy trailers hundreds of miles from home. Frequent Trips are done to FL, CO, UT and MN with the RV 5th wheel.

On this run on the delo I pulled the horse trailer once about 200 miles. Other than that it was occassional high power runs, and normal city driving in Texas heat. Oil was drained into a 5 gallon bucket after truck sat for 2 weeks in garage. After oil sat 1 day in the bucket, I skimmed off the top for a sample to be sent to Blackstone.

Engine oil: Chevron Delo 400 LE 5w30
Oil Additive: Archoil 9100 (One16oz bottle)
Fuel additive: Archoil ar6200 (15ml per tank)

Blackstone Statement: "The Archoil accounts for the high potassium and boron readings in this sample, and that's fine. Metals are looking quitee good overall, so Archoil isn't hurting anything and we're not worried that the potassium from he additive is covering up any coolant problems. Averages for this engine show typical wear after about 5,500 miles on oil. We think more than just your shorter run accounting for these nice metals that the engine is actually wearing well, and that's great. The TBN is solid at 9.4, since 1.0 is low. Try up to 6,500 miles next time. Looks good!"

MI on Oil 4,607
MI on Unit 104,607
Sample Date: 6/23/2015
Make up oil added: 0 qts

Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 11
Copper 1
Lead 2
Tin 3
Molybdenum 1
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 962
Boron 874
Silicon 4
Sodium 9
Calcium 2287
Magnesium 62
Phosphorus 765
Zinc 942
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @210F 58.3
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 9.73
Flashpoint in F 415
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles %
TBN 9.4
TAN (blank)
ISO Code (blank)

For a 5w30 (9.4-11.6) Im in the low range at 9.73 cSt [email protected] appears to be in effect since Delo 5w30 starts out around 11.5 cSt I believe.

Thank you for any feedback,

Reshard
Central TX

I've been anxiously awaiting this UOA. THANK YOU! Viscosity is down obviously, but that's to be expected with the 6.0L... although it didn't hurt a thing! Archoil may have contributed a bit, but who knows... doesn't matter anyway. This is yet another example of why a 30-weight + the 6.0L = happy union! Well done sir.

One question I have - what SCT tunes do you run?

No problem. I'm running just the canned tunes on the SCT SF3 3015. I use the tow tune and trans only tune when towing. I've been considering Truck Source Diesel tunes, but still researching custom tunes. It will be in conjunction with an upgraded turbo, injectors and intercooler.

Next mod will be 155/30 injectors, and a wpe diesel stage 2 turbo (http://www.wpediesel.com/index.php/turbos/kc-stg25.html), and a bigger inter-cooler for a little more power pullin' the big 5th wheel RV up the mountains. Delo seems to be holding up quite well to the rigors of heavy towing.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
No problem. I'm running just the canned tunes on the SCT SF3 3015. I use the tow tune and trans only tune when towing. I've been considering Truck Source Diesel tunes, but still researching custom tunes. It will be in conjunction with an upgraded turbo, injectors and intercooler.

Next mod will be 155/30 injectors, and a wpe diesel stage 2 turbo (http://www.wpediesel.com/index.php/turbos/kc-stg25.html), and a bigger inter-cooler for a little more power pullin' the big 5th wheel RV up the mountains. Delo seems to be holding up quite well to the rigors of heavy towing.

TSD tunes are THE business!
smile.gif
Their SPD tune is my favorite of all my tunes... runs AMAZING with my truck (I've run Gearhead, Innovative, and Quick Tricks as well). Unfortunately they quit doing email tunes again... so you'll have to go visit their shop and get a live tune if you want it done now. Gearhead would be next best in my book.

Custom tunes tuned specifically to your truck's specific strategy (which the canned tunes do not do) are absolutely the way to go. Even for tow-only tunes. I'd highly recommend it. Most of them do a 3-pack of tunes for $100ish... so you can get all your needs met (tow, medium performance, high performance).

Last edited:
sample looks good but I must ask why the oil additive? As a former 6.0 guy who run 10w-30 for over 130,000 mi. I never used an oil additive and I never had my oil shear to the point you have and I run 7,500 mi. OCI.

Just wondering if you have a problem you're trying to address or preventitive. I would try a run without the additive to see if this is causing the viscosity to drop to bottom of the 30 wt. scale.
From the wear numbers you posted it obviously did no harm, but you are borderline 20 wt.

Last edited:
Outstanding point. I used the Archoil 9100 mainly for the cold starts when we were in MN and Northern UT this past winter, and curiosity to see how it would perform. Maybe the Archoil is having an affect on viscosity. I'll have to wait until the next OCI to not use the Archoil. When I changed the oil last month, I added another 16oz of the Archoil 9100. I will do a sample with just the Delo 5w30 next time.

Maybe 10w30 is more shear stable? I have no explanation to why the Delo 5w30 sheared to 9.73 just 393 miles shy of 5k. This concerned me so much I actually emailed Blackstone. They advised the shearing had NO negative effects on wear whatsoever, so I shouldn't be concerned and recommend pushing out to 6,500 miles.

I ruled out trying the Amsoil HDD due to much higher cost. But considered Amsoil ACD (claimed shear stability), Rotella T5 10w30 and Delo 10w30 XLE.

One more thing I want to point out. The Delo 5w30 has a NOACK of 11.8%, yet no oil was burned and no make up oil was ever added since I've been using this oil with hard towing.

The wear numbers are so good with the Delo 5w30, considering what I tow, I just want to stay with it.

Your making me anxious to try TSD tunes!!! But it'll be a while, luckily they are just 1.5hr drive down the Toll Road for me since they are in San Antonio!!

Think I'll have them install everything once I order the turbo, injectors, intercooler and do their custom tunes. But it'll be a while since the wife says I spend too much money on my toys:(

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
Your making me anxious to try TSD tunes!!! But it'll be a while, luckily they are just 1.5hr drive down the Toll Road for me since they are in San Antonio!!

Think I'll have them install everything once I order the turbo, injectors, intercooler and do their custom tunes. But it'll be a while since the wife says I spend too much money on my toys:(

01.gif

6.0Ls love 30 grade.
Nice report.
Rid yourself of the additives. I see no harm coming from them, but I also see no real benefit. Why spend on no return?

Wholly Boron! But great result.

Obviously that oil additive is mostly Boron, which is considered an anti wear metal with less evidence of actually showing less wear (unlike Moly or ZDDP etc.).

However this oil is different from 10W-30 XLE CJ4; this oil you used carries ACEA E9 for some truck application with after treatment. Daimler MB228.31, Volvo VDS-4 and Deutz III-10LA. Its Basically a halfway point between API CJ4 and Low SAPS C3 type oil. This oil costs more because of the higher grade base oils used, it will have lower zinc/phos vs. 10W-30 XLE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Wholly Boron! But great result.

Obviously that oil additive is mostly Boron, which is considered an anti wear metal with less evidence of actually showing less wear (unlike Moly or ZDDP etc.).

However this oil is different from 10W-30 XLE CJ4; this oil you used carries ACEA E9 for some truck application with after treatment. Daimler MB228.31, Volvo VDS-4 and Deutz III-10LA. Its Basically a halfway point between API CJ4 and Low SAPS C3 type oil.

In other words, it is an ACEA E6/MB228.51 oil.

Charlie

Where do you get this oil? I'm also in Central TX. I tried to find some Delo 10w30 XLE but 2 Walmarts I went to were out. This looks even better for a gasser than the XLE. I'm looking for cost-effective long drain in taxi service and this may be a great option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back