Porter Cable 7424XP vs Griot's Garage 6" Polisher

Now that I've tackled detailing my truck's engine bay, I'm getting interested in trying some exterior paint correction and amateur detailing on my own vehicles. I've done some homework, and the same two choices for polishers keep getting recommended: the Porter Cable 7424XP, and Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10813STDCRD-Orbital-Polisher/dp/B009UKUUWE/

The price spread is about $20 (if buying the Griot's polisher with the 10' cord, 25' cord price spread is about $35). So for the purposes of this thread, negate the $ difference since it's only twenty bucks. Which is the better unit? I've read the Griot's unit is better, but MANY people own, use, and love their Porter Cable polishers. I've never done any detailing, and so these two machines seem the easiest to learn on, and the safest for my vehicles given my inexperience.
laugh.gif

Any experiences or preferences? Thanks!
smile.gif

I own the Griot's and have used it about twice a year for the past 5 or 6 years. I'm sure they are both equally good units..and you will be fine with either one.

I went with Griot's at the time because it seemed a little easier to understand the different recommended pads and directions. It seems like pad choices are getting more complicated as more options become available!

I'm sure the Griot's will probably last as long as I want to continue to use it at the rate I'm going..but again, either one will work fine...

You want French Vanilla or regular vanilla? That's how similar these two are. I have the porter Cable since 2006 and is still going strong, though I've gone through multiple pads in the years since.

I agree with iahawk, either one is a great machine.

Thank you to both for your feedback! I'm going to ponder at the moment, but I think I'm giving a slight edge to the Griot's machine since I've read in numerous forum posts that it is more ergonomically correct than the Porter Cable unit. That, and I could get it with the 25' cord- the PC unit has no such option.

Originally Posted By: El_Vato
I highly recommend www.autopia.org if you want to learn how to detail, paint correct, or get serious about making your car look its best.

This is the BITOG equivelant of auto detailing OCD types.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to look that site up!
smile.gif

I have both and a Cyclo. The Griot's machine is light years ahead of the PC. It is strong enough to spin 6" pads whereas the PC is not. I prefer a smaller backing plate and pads for either one though. Also Griot's lifetime warranty vs 1 year. There is simply no comparison in strength/rotation speed and the longer cord is worth the $$$.

Had my Griot's many years and it has been absolutely fantastic.

Zero issues and I highly recommend it.
thumbsup2.gif

I don’t own either but just from my own experience with these types of machines in rotary from the handle on the Griots is going to be a love it or hate it thing.
If it has a little more power or not is not important if don’t like using it. I find the handle on the side offers a lot more control.

have the griots 7336SP since 2006 + been used a LOT! maybe even USA made but no labels or #'s except Porter Cable logo, prolly at Griots request. a great unit for sure + the 18001 hook + loop loop disc hard rubber backing just broke down + i quickly ordered replacements from Amazon, only other issue was replacing the plug end. great thing about porter cable, black + decker + similar brand names is parts as i got a switch for my all metal B+D 3/8" ALL METAL drill after 20 years, it still runs great!!! the newer porter cable units are similar with different part # + searching noted porter cable patented the random orbital device years ago as they are actually random orbital SANDERS as listed on my instruction-parts manual i saved!!

There isn't much light between these two machines. I have a 7424XP which I've since converted to a dedicated 3" machine (really useful to have a 3" setup). Basically, you can't go wrong.
If you did want to step up a notch, you can get a Maxshine polisher for just a few bucks more which will have a 15mm throw and come closer to a Rupes unit in terms of correction performance/speed.

Back