What oil comes in the Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon:

Does anyone know what the oil is that comes in the Ram Trucks with the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel ? Also which oil is recommended to run in that motor after first Oil Change?
Thank You in advance for all available information.

Thanks
The reason I asked is and I know you probably will not believe this, but I asked a Salesman at a local dealership "Do you know what brand of Oil comes in the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel and when do I change the oil? He did not know and said he would ask and that was about a month ago, still hasn't answered my question.

Originally Posted By: w6pea
Thanks
The reason I asked is and I know you probably will not believe this, but I asked a Salesman at a local dealership "Do you know what brand of Oil comes in the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel and when do I change the oil? He did not know and said he would ask and that was about a month ago, still hasn't answered my question.

Not believe that? man, I had much worse encounters unfortunately.
From what I know Shell Rotella is more favorite among truck diesel users.
Either way, you cannot go wrong.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Not really familiar with those engines, but I would say Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil1 TDT.

I'd throw Delo 400 LE Synthetic in with that group...doesn't get the same attention on BITOG as Rotella T6 but it should.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Not really familiar with those engines, but I would say Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil1 TDT.

I'd throw Delo 400 LE Synthetic in with that group...doesn't get the same attention on BITOG as Rotella T6 but it should.

I have to agree and forgot about Chevron Delo Oil. I used it for many years while driving a Semi with a Cat 3406 engine we used nothing but Delo Oil
33.gif

Can't speak to the 6.7, but Cummins ISX 15L are being factory filled with 10w30. Matter of fact, every semi truck heavy diesel engine now is factory filled with 10w30. Mack, Volvo, Cummins, Detroit, Paccar, Navistar. Would cause one to think that the 6.7 would be in a similar situation. Even if it wasn't factory filled with 10w30, I would give that grade a try. After all, if it works fine in a 15L Cummins moving 80,000 lb of freight, and doing so in climates from Sub Arctic to Tropical, not sure why a 10w30 wouldn't do just fine in the 6.7 moving a pickup and a trailer.

Depends what year it is as to what came in it from factory. Years from 2013 till now is Valvoline 5w40, Prior to that was Valvoline 15w40. Best to you all.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Cummins endorses Valvoline Premium Blue, Pick any 15W-40, 5W-40 Diesel oil, And have fun!

+1

+2

Find you a sale on a 15w40 and enjoy the new truck. I lucked out and found a Schaeffer oil Rep who was getting rid of a bunch of the CI4+ oil at a stellar price. Before that I was running Delvac 1300 and Celo400 with no complaints.

i am running Q8 Excel Diesel 5W-40 on my 2KD-FTV engine, i have ran it for almost 2000 kilometers and it stills good. engine's sound sounds smooth and when you do kickdown, the torque feels spreading to back wheels spontaneously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Cummins endorses Valvoline Premium Blue, Pick any 15W-40, 5W-40 Diesel oil, And have fun!

+1

[censored] that Use what YOU have been using.

Well, Valvoline is what Cummins recommends, as they have a stake in Ashland Oil who makes it. But Cummins is factory filling all of their on road engines with 10w30, and recommending it for regular use, right on up thru the 15L ISX. I would just get a good 5w30 or 10w30 HDEO and use it. 40w in a diesel is rapidly becoming "old school". Not one highway heavy diesel OEM is filling with a 40w anymore. All of them factory fill with 10w30. Detroit, Paccar, Cummins, Navistar, Volvo/Mack. If a 10w30 can fully protect a motor that is yanking around 80,000 lb of truck and freight, and doing it from the Rio Grande to the Arctic Circle, flat land, desert, mountains, etc, I think it should be fine for a pickup.

My 4500 hp locomotive engine will run 30,000 hours on ZDDP free 20W40 pulling 10,000 tons.
That means your puny 6.7 Cummins pulling a tent trailer can get by on SAE 0W8 or canola cooking oil.

The driver for lighter weight oil in OTR truck use is improved fuel economy.

So I guess a Toyota 0W-20 HDEO will be the next big thing we see.

You may see RAM Cummins back spec as the HDEO market refocuses toward these lighter oils.

The current 15W-40 standard may indeed become obsolete.

But in the meantime, I'd opt for the 15W-40 or 5W-40 synthetic specified for the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back