Sears Air Compressor Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

Hopefully this is in the right area.

I have a quick question about air compressor oil. I bought a Craftsman air compressor about 2 years ago. I have never changed the oil and would like to.

The manual states the following:

CHANGING THE OIL
Remove the oil plug (see A) and drain the oil until it slows to
a drip, then close. Add compressor oil (approx. 18 oz.) until it is
between full (see B) and add (see C) when the dipstick (see D) is
screwed completely into the hole. Never overfill or underfill the
pump.
NOTE: The compressor is pre-filled with synthetic oil. Use
synthetic, non-detergent air compressor oil.

I would like to know what compressor oil people recommend?

Thanks.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-profe...p;blockType=G12

Its a Sears compressor, not a space shuttle. I would just buy a $2.50/quart of non-detergent 30 weight and use that. Change it once a year or every two years.

I wonder why a compressor requires non-detergent synthetic oil?

I wonder why one cannot simply use regular engine oil.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Sounds like you're trying to outthink the manufacturer.

Couple of reasons. Compressors tend to get a lot of water into their oil, especially when the duty cycle is low enough that they don't ever get really really hot to drive the water out of the oil, but often enough to move a lot of air. Non-detergent oil lets the water stay in the bottom of the sump, detergent oil tends to emulsify the oil for a nasty oil/water milkshake.

Also, compresors often do have some really hot spots when run at very high duty cycles, and need a completely ashless oil to prevent forming gritty insolubles under that condition.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Sounds like you're trying to outthink the manufacturer.

I was just curious, I am going to use what the manufacturer recommends. Other BITOG folks answered the question.

The one thing the manual did not state was what weight compressor oil to use. It looks like one can get 20, 30, or 40 weight compressor oil.

I bought a new compressor with cast iron pump about 30 years ago. The manual called for 10w40 oil, no special kind. I have been using that since, and it gets a lot of use, and still pumps like new today. (I usually used Super Tech)

Originally Posted By: old1
I bought a new compressor with cast iron pump about 30 years ago. The manual called for 10w40 oil, no special kind. I have been using that since, and it gets a lot of use, and still pumps like new today. (I usually used Super Tech)

So you've been using regular 10W-40 with detergent and no foaming issues?

I use 10w-30 M1 in my recip compressor seems to work. I put a high quality automotive air filter in place of the original felt type and the oil seems to stay much cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back