6.0 Powerstroke cracked degas bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
*rant on*

Well... all the hubbub about the 6.0L Powerstroke and its issues... and what does it throw at me? A stupid degas bottle crack. I had just parked from getting back from my lunch break... came out to grab something about 45min later... and there's a puddle of coolant dripping! Naturally my first instinct is "head gasket...", even though I've added ARP studs to the truck. Open the hood - no coolant around the cap. What the heck? Start looking around... I can moisture everywhere, but it's lower than the bottle. What the heck again? Did I blow a hose? Couldn't find anything... so I'm getting more frustrated. My coworker comes out to help me scour... and he spots it... a pee-like stream of coolant coming from the bottom of the degas bottle. I opened the cap to alleviate the pressure and the stream stopped. I have no clue how the crack got there, and $122 dollars later from my local stealership, I had a new bottle. Installed it tonight (really straightforward), topped off coolant, and good to go.

How the crack got there is anyone's guess... it looked like an impact crack, but there's nothing that should be hitting it there. It wasn't on a plastic seam or anything either. Who knows... but considering all the things the 6.0L seems to enjoy throwing at people, I guess I'll count my blessings that it was only $122 and about 45min of my time.

*rant off*

Last edited:
I think what happens with these is when the head gasket goes it increases the pressure in the coolant bottle (since it's sealed) and it probably over pressurized and broke the bottle.

Normally a bad overflow bottle on a 6.0 is a head gasket or EGR cooler. But in this case keep your fingers crossed that it was impact damage. Either way, put on a new cap.

Already studded... And have the updated Ford cap (although I ordered a new one today anyway). These caps are set to vent at 16 PSI... So if the head gasket went, it would puke coolant pretty bad. Good points though, and will obviously monitor over the next few weeks. After I swapped the bottle I let it get back up to temp and jumped on it pretty good... No puking. Fingers crossed I suppose... But I'd be pretty [censored] if it blows a HG after new studs and planing the existing heads prior to install.

Random question, what coolant are you running? We have some customers who insist on using Motorcraft Gold and nothing else. Then the customers in the know ask for Rotella ELC / CAT EC-1.

I'm using Ford Gold. I've heard all the stories... And had I been more in the know when I had the work done, I would have probably asked for ELC. But I also have my EGR cooler tig welded shut with a stainless plug in each end, so the fear of "flashing" the coolant is gone in my case. And should it rapture for some reason, it becomes nothing more than a glorified water pipe.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Normally a bad overflow bottle on a 6.0 is a head gasket or EGR cooler. But in this case keep your fingers crossed that it was impact damage. Either way, put on a new cap.

+1 on the new cap

Is it true you guys were ordered to destroy the old design RS-527 that sometimes blew without warning?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

+1 on the new cap

Is it true you guys were ordered to destroy the old design RS-527 that sometimes blew without warning?

Nope, although we have done that for other part numbers. That is the current part number since 2009 and I don't recall any destroy notice on them.

***UPDATE***

So I discovered the cracked bottle was a non-OEM (Dorman) that was put on by the shop when I had my truck bulletproofed. According to many reviews of the Dorman unit, cracking appears to be a fairly common issue. The cap came with the bottle, so it too was non-OEM (despite it looking identical... just without the Ford part # and FOMOCO stamp). It seemed to hold pressure correctly, but the Dorman cap does not "click click" and keep rotating as it clicks (like a gas cap would) when it's on tight. The Dorman cap simply snugs down and that's it.

I bought an OEM Ford bottle and a new OEM Ford cap as well. All appears to be well. No puking, no hissing, etc.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Make sure your new Ford coolant cap is the right one with the bigger spring in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM38rFuI_YE

They only make the new style cap... the old ones are long gone - and easily identifiable against the newer style.

Old...
9C3Z8101A.jpg

New...
41WuD6LNNOL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

In many cars, the pressurized coolant reservoir is a problem. I'm not sure why one is more durable than another, but trust me, it is a common item that needs replacement.

I suppose if such reservoirs become too failure prone, you could pay a metal fabricator to build one, but that would be expensive.

Generally on a 6.0 Powerstroke, if the overflow bottle gives out you are lucky and only have to replace an EGR cooler, or unlucky and have to pull the heads and to gaskets and sometimes new heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back