Shell Corena S4 R 68 in sliding vane/ Recip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am a new poster here, and after reviewing all of the posts in this section regarding compressor oils I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.
Here Goes!

I have five air compressors that I am in the process of rebuilding for my little shop/ business, and I have a unique opportunity to change the lubricants I use, as I have three torn all the way down, including filters, hoses coolers and compressors. If there was ever a time to go synthetic, this would be it, and in a perfect world, I would buy one lubricant to use across the team of compressors. I am looking at Shell Corena S4 R 68, as it is the right viscosity for the recips, and I can get it at a very favorable price. Needless to say, the price isn't so low that I could justify endangering any of the equipment.
Here is the rundown of the equipment;

• Quincy 25 hp 5210 recip
    #1 DeVilbiss 15hp 445 recip
    #2 DeVilbiss 15hp 445 recip
    Gardner Denver sliding vane type mobile 85 cfm driven by a 4 cylinder continental
    Ingersol Rand 100 cfm screw type mobile compressor, driven by a 4 cylinder gas engine.

The compressors are all used in SW Missouri, and it would be so unusual to use the mobile rigs at freezing or below that I could justify block heaters. Of all the above, it would seem like the Screw rig would be a natural for the Shell Corena S4 R, although the 68 iso viscosity might be slightly thick. Not much question there. The Gardner Denver is a true antique, mid 1960's and the factory recommended either Dexron, with a 1200 hour OCI, or 10w motor oil, with a 600 hour OCI. Again, the Shell Corena S4 R might be okay, although I am slightly concerned about viscosity. The reciprocating compressors should be good at ISO 68, but I could find very little information concerning its use in Reciprocating compressors, only a couple of internet references from distributors mentioning its use. These recips can be run fairly hard, and coking of the valve plates is a fairly common problem when running traditional oils.

So, here are the actual questions;
    IS ISO 68 too thick for an old sliding vane oil injected compressor running from 35- 100 Fahrenheit?
    Would Shell Corena S4 R be acceptable in a recip?
    Are there additives in Shell Corena S4 P (the lubricant Shell recommends for recips) that are absent in Shell Corena S4 R? Or additives in Shell Corena S4 R that would damage a recip?
    Thanks for any help or comments you care to give, jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back