3800 series II, how likely to need LIM gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would my 1999 V6 Alero have there plastic coolant elbows? I don't recall seeing them? Did the LIM, but I thought after a certain year it didn't need the LIM. I replaced it myself and it took me forever but came out great.

In reply to above posts, the only car with series III in 04 is the Grand Prix(probably because 04 was a new model year of the GP). This guy has a Buick Lesabre, which never got the series III.

zzyzzx, The aluminum coolant elbows proabably didn't come on any 3800's, and your 99' Alero would have plastic ones for sure. You can see the new aluminum replacement in my second photo above the arrow. I used a light coating of Permatex Ultra Grey RTV silicone on them because I heard of people's aluminum elbows leaking.

CBR, if you think he'll listen, ask the mechanic to use the Aluminum lower gaskets, aluminum elbows, and maybe even the whole upper manifold for the Dorman one with the smaller diameter EGR. Not sure most mechanics will take direction from a customer like that so it's up to you lol. Maybe even bring in the part numbers.

Last edited:
Here is what got the Series III, not that is really matters.
smile.gif

2004–2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2005–2009 Buick LaCrosse
2006–2008 Buick Lucerne

Supercharged cars...
2004–2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
2006–2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Yes get the metal gaskets. If the mechanic won't use them go elsewhere!

I used the one from ATP years ago and its been fine, its probably the same company making it. For $72 you cant go wrong, it does include the smaller diameter egr chimney.

+1 on using ultra grey, Honda Bond* , Yamabond*, Subabond* or similar (they are all* three bond 1215 btw) on the o rings. Clean any corrosion out of the LIM with 800 grit before installing it if it has visible corrosion.

http://www.amazon.com/ATP-Automotive-Graywerks-106001-Manifold/dp/B000C8T7X6

So I tore it all apart this morning. The upper manifold looked brand new, no evidence of any leaking, warpage or heat damage. EGR plumbing was clean. Throttle body was not horribly dirty. Air filter was obviously very new. What I could see inside the radiator looked brand new. The coolant I could see sitting in the lower manifold after pulling the thermostat housing was clean and clear, no signs of anything bad. Pulled the lower manifold and found both left and right gaskets were split and leaking at the rear water passages. The front water passages apparently do not continue into the manifold. Those passages had a hard muddy mess in them that appeared to be expanding inside the gasket and cracked the plastic on both sides. I suspect that this is not supposed to be there?

So 95% of everything was very clean and nice, 5% was totally nasty.

I ordered valve cover gaskets before I pulled everything apart, but it looks like all the mess was coming from the LIM gaskets.

What is the best approach to clean out the crud in the unused ports?

As an aside, I have mostly owned (and worked on) Japanese and German cars. This thing is engineered pretty well for easy service. Everything came apart very quickly and easily. Took me a little while to figure out how to get to the battery though...

A shop vac and a screw driver work to clean the crud out the unused ports. Just don't hold the vacuum there too long or you'll just be sucking up coolant from inside the motor. It's normal to have crud there I think since it has no where to go. Lol @ the battery

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
This thing is engineered pretty well for easy service. Everything came apart very quickly and easily. Took me a little while to figure out how to get to the battery though...

My '00 has always been easy to work on. I haven't replaced the LIM/UIM gaskets yet, but I have a torque wrench on stand-by for whenever the time comes. I just closely monitor the coolant level. That battery under the rear seat is a cool idea. Keeps the battery cool and very clean.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Trav
Gen II up to 2005 in this car.

That means the 2005 LeSabre had the Gen III right?

no, read multiple previous posts.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Trav
Gen II up to 2005 in this car.

That means the 2005 LeSabre had the Gen III right?

Up to and including 2005 GenII

Our '04 is definitely a Gen II. I was looking for a newer Pontiac w/ a 3800 specifically for the Gen III motor, but this one turned up and seemed to be a good car for a good price. I knew about the LIM gasket beforehand, and the Buick fits Grandma's personality better than the Pontiacs.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Here is what got the Series III, not that is really matters.
smile.gif

2004–2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2005–2009 Buick LaCrosse
2006–2008 Buick Lucerne

Supercharged cars...
2004–2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
2006–2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Yes get the metal gaskets. If the mechanic won't use them go elsewhere!

Like you posted, the 2004 Supercharged Monte Carlo was not a series III. My engine cover said Series II on it.

Wayne

By the way, series 3's didnt all come with aluminum lower intake gaskets(but all came with AL upper plenums)...some atleast earlier ones came with plastic lower gaskets..so just because it's 3 doesn't mean you're free of these potential issues.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back