Supertech 5w-30 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My highway vehicle is a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Has around 50k miles. It calls for 5w-30.

I was at Walmart and they are selling 5qts of the Supertech 5w-30 conventional for $10! The next price point is Mobil Super 5w-30 conventional which has "5000 mile coverage" on the bottle, for $16.

1. Would I be able to run the Supertech for the same mileage as the Mobil (5000 miles, then change)

2. I have synthetic in my engine now. Any reason to continue to use synthetic?

3. My friend also has an elantra, he is a mechanic (not that it matters, I know) and he said I should use 10w30 instead for better protection from the thicker oil. Is this true?

4. Is it true that Exxon makes the Supertech oil?

Thank you for answering any questions I have
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Exxon Mobil makes some of the Supertech oil, but it varies by region. ST could be made by XOM, Citgo, or WPP.

No reason to use 10w30 over 5w30, but it won't hurt anything, either.

Yes, the ST will work for 5k.

It would be hard to prove that Mobil 5000 is any better than the supertech. Use the viscosity recommended in your owner's manual. You don't seem to be putting many miles on that car.I suggest using supertech conventional oil and changing once a year.

No matter what grade of oil the manufacturer recommends, someone will recommend a different one and say it's better and lack any data to back up their claim.

Originally Posted By: aares
1. Would I be able to run the Supertech for the same mileage as the Mobil (5000 miles, then change)
I don't see why not, any issues your engine is known for? if not, then you should be able to, you could verify this with a UOA of this oil in your particular engine.

if you intend to increase your oil change interval then yes, use synthetic but for a 5000 mile oil change, I personally think supertech dino is more then capable.

3. My friend also has an elantra, he is a mechanic (not that it matters, I know) and he said I should use 10w30 instead for better protection from the thicker oil. Is this true?
I highly doubt it, run the recommended oil by the manufacturer unless you intend to do UOA on all the different grades to determine which, and even then UOA don't show exactly what goes on in your engine.

I think different areas have different manufacturers but I don't remember reading Exxon being one, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
If the bottle looks "exxonny" the odds are good they make it.

At 50k over 14 years I figure you short trip, the 5w30 is better for startup for you. If you still have your factory timing belt its rubber might be getting old, BTW.

A reason to stick with synthetic is you could do annual drains, particularly if you drive the car to full warm-up every couple days and leave it unrun every couple days. It'd make it through your 4-season climate with aplomb. But then so would the walmart 5w30.

At $10 a jug, I'd buy a couple if you have storage room.

My highway vehicle is a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Has around 50k miles. It calls for 5w-30.

I was at Walmart and they are selling 5qts of the Supertech 5w-30 conventional for $10! The next price point is Mobil Super 5w-30 conventional which has "5000 mile coverage" on the bottle, for $16.

aares said:

Easily.

Yes, many although a good conventional should easily do 5000 highway miles.

Above a certain temperature 10w30 is probably fine since the viscosities will be the same. 5w30 will have the advantage when it begins to get colder, synthetic even moreso.

As answered above, sometimes.

Supertech will be more than adequate for your Elantra. Most areas of the Northeast get Supertech and Supertech HM that is blended at Warren Distribution's Northeast facility in West Virginia. The WPP synthetic all comes out of their primary facility.
All Supertech products and lubricants are top quality products. Due to the popularity of their oils, I would consider them a major brand.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

What is the size of your engine, oil capacity and the factory recommended OCI?

Not sure how they changed throughout the years, but my mom had a 2013 with a 1.8 or 1.9 liter engine with a 4.5 quart sump. Normal service was 7500 miles on any API SN GF-5 oil. There are a lot of engines out there that are twice as big with the same sized sump. The GM 4.3 for example.

That is a large oil capacity for such a little engine, no?

Your engine can easily do 5k on Supertech oil.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

1. You should be able to. I have never used Supertech, but I hear it is just as good a conventional oil as other conventional oils.

2. Supertech makes a 5W-30 synthetic and IIRC it is $18 for a 5 quart jug.

3. Your friend is hopefully a better mechanic than an oil recommender. 10W-30 is a little bit thicker at really cold temperatures. 5W-30 and 10W-30 are the same viscosity at operating temperatures.

4. IIRC, Warren Petroleum makes Supertech.

Could be wpp, Citgo, delphin, or Exxon. Depends where you are. I'd run st for 5k. I've used it often. What I've learned is 10w30 will flow like 5w30 in warm months at start up. Also uses less vl so will not break down as fast I'm told. I'd use the 10w30 at this time.

Originally Posted By: salv

All Supertech products and lubricants are top quality products. Due to the popularity of their oils, I would consider them a major brand.

That's a great observation and I'd agree.

Pqia has a new recent voa of supertech 5w30. Its the delfin variety and it looks just fine. Meets current sn islac 5 standards. No problem going 5k
They also have a voa of the exxon version from like 2013 which looked fine too.

Last edited:
Many years ago I read an article in Consumer Reports Magazine about motor oils. The main thing I took away from the article is that price may have very little to do with an oils quality and that if you can find an SAE approved oil which meets manufacturer requirements and you can get that oil for cheap, then use it. I took that advice to heart and have used Supertech and whatever else I can find at good prices and have never been disappointed. As someone else pointed out, Supertech should be considered a major brand because of the volume that Walmart sells. Stay on top of your oil change intervals and Supertech will serve you well. It'll keep a few more coins in your pocket too.

-Valentine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
No matter what grade of oil the manufacturer recommends, someone will recommend a different one and say it's better and lack any data to back up their claim.
Ans sometimes a company like Toyota will list different oils for the same car sold in different parts of the world.

There are parts of North America which don't have a wide choice of oil vendors of brands which meet with oil snob approval. There, Walmart is often the only game in town in small towns in the upper Mid West, for example, it would be an unwise business decision for them to sell inferior products as house brands. I've used their oil, and their transmission fluid, for a quite some time. If Walmart didn't have such a good price on T6 in jugs I'd probably be using a lot more Supertech synthetic without a second thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back