DIY custom toolbox liner with foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have gotten some tools in the clear plastic packaging that has contours for each too and I was wondering how I could use a release agent (motor oil, Saran Wrap?) and foam soray or an expanding rubber foam mix to use the packaging as a mild and create my own custom drawer inserts.

How would you do this? Any tips in foam or mixable reacting rubber foam from EBay for reasonable $? I have no idea where to get such materials.

I do not know where to get it either or it would work.

I think in the packaging the screwdrivers are too close together for a drawer.

But I keep slotted and Phillips in different drawers. (Torx and Phillips in same drawer.

Maybe vaseline? You could try expanding foam from a can from the hardware store. I don't know how durable that would be though.

I'm currently trying it with DIY gap foam and LPS1 as a release agent. Now wondering more about anywhere to get pourable plastic or pourable foam in cheap Chinese quantities.

I was thinking alternatively to a solid like foam or rubber foam, perhaps bed liner would dry rigid enough in a pass to create a "shell" to hold the screwdrivers. Or maybe tiger hair body filler in a layer?

Results with gap filler expanding foam in a can: TOTAL failure. In worked in about 5% of the surface contours and in the middle if the mold it "lifted" with gases and created a dome if emptiness.

Back to the drawing board.

Some folks I know make their own fiberglass nosecones for armature high power rocketry. For a fiberglass mold release they use Henkel Loctite Frekote 770-NC available here http://www.ellsworth.com/products/by-mar...CFQcxaQodKGMAIg

Maybe it would work for your application?
If you want to take the easy way Foam Fit Tools makes nice organizers pre-made.
http://foamfittools.com/Cscrewdriverorganizers.php

I have a CNC router and laser engraver/cutter at work but I'm not smart enough to draw the files to make my own.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back