What oil for Honda GX620?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a welder/generator that has a Honda GX620 engine. I was able to download the manual, which said I should change the oil every 50 hours, but didn't specify an oil. What's good for this engine? Incidentally, I have a couple of gallons of M1 TDT, that I could use if that would work.

I've own many small Honda powered air compressors. In my experience an hdeo is great in the summer. I use either rotella or supertech 15w-40 during the summer months and supertech 5w-30 in the winter.

They aren't picky. I run 100 hour intervals. I've got machines with over 17000 hours on them with nothing more than oil changes and mos2.
Oh. And tc-w3 in the fuel

I believe Honda specs 5w/10w/SAE30 oil.

That M1 TDT will work great. All of my power equipment has Rotella T6 in it now.

If it's brand new, change the oil after the first 5 hours, and then go to the 50 hour intervals.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
OK, in the case of 5w/10w-30, would that be ordinary PCMO, or what?

There are hdeo 's found in all flavours from 0w-30 and thicker however they will state specifically that they are hdeo's or be classed as such by the brand name like delo or devlac.
As long as the grade is right you really can't go wrong. 50 intervals is way sooner than I run mine but to be honest I've never read a manual for mine so I never knew thats what Honda suggests.

Don't worry about a special oil just for this. The M1 TDT is fine.

If you really want to use 10w-30, any name brand SM/SN/HDEO will do. Rotella T Triple is a great choice, and it's cheap.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

There are hdeo 's found in all flavours from 0w-30 and thicker however they will state specifically that they are hdeo's or be classed as such by the brand name like delo or devlac.
As long as the grade is right you really can't go wrong. 50 intervals is way sooner than I run mine but to be honest I've never read a manual for mine so I never knew thats what Honda suggests.

I found a Honda manual for the engine, and it says 100-hour intervals. The welder manual says 50-hour intervals after the first oil change. So I guess 100-hour intervals are OK.

Rotella 15W40 for summer use is my preference. However, any brand name HDEO is more than suitable. I'm not a synthetic oil use or advocate. Not saying it's no good. Just too expensive for what it does. If I can get synthetic for the same price as a decent quality HDEO, I'll buy it. Otherwise, no.

I do not like the idea of long duration oil changes. Hence rendering the use of synthetic oil redundant for me. I'd rather change the oil more frequently (as per manual) and be comfortable in the knowledge that any debris in the engine is removed in shorter intervals rather than leaving contaminants in the engine waiting for the expiration of synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back