What parts do YOU buy aftermarket or OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Just wondering your guys' personal preferences, rule of thumb is on parts on what you buy aftermarket, and what you buy OEM?

Personally I buy suspension parts and belts aftermarket (Munroe, Moog, etc.)
Starters and alternators I go aftermarket with a lifetime warranty unless OEM is a pretty close price or the job is hard to do.
And for the Beetle I usually buy the filters from the dealer, they're usually cheaper and they get the job done.
Motor mounts I buy OEM too.

Just found out the opening for the aftermarket thermostat (Stant) on my grandmother's Trailblazer was about 40mm and the OEM one I picked up from the dealership today is 44mm measured with a micrometer. That may be it's overheating issue currently. I'll find out tomorrow.

Discuss!
23.gif

Parts-wise I always buy Nissan OEM everything. Only thing aftermarket I've ever bought were oil filters.

I always price out OEM and usually go that route especially if it is something that is difficult to replace or will leave me stranded.

I will use quality aftermarket brake parts as OEM seems to be really overpriced.

It depends on the car and what’s available aftermarket. Generally all sheet metal body parts OE if still available and plastic bumpers either OE or at a minimum CAPA certified depending on price.
If i can get a CAPA bumper cover for $250 on the door or $650 OE i buy the CAPA, if the difference is only $75-100 then OE. High end cars OE only on everything.

I couldn’t break down all the parts but if the quality is there its there, if its iffy i go OE.

I will buy brake pads (usually Wagner) aftermarket . Timing kits, belts, water pumps and such I buy Gates.

For the KIA, online I get the Auto7 brand which is the OEM parts.

For the hard to get to and important sensors I go AC Delco for the GM's.

Filters: OEM/MANN
Brakes: EBC/Brembo
Suspension: OEM (though never needed to change, but would go with OEM).
Belts/tensioners: OEM (not changed yet on theses cars, but on previous always OEM).

I make a distinction between OEM and OE.

OE is original equipment, with the car company's name on it.

OEM is the "same" part from whatever parts company that originally made it, without the car company's name on it.

The problem with OEM is that it's a gamble. You might get a part that's fully equivalent to OE. Or, you might get one that narrowly misses OE tolerances. And either way, 99% chance you're getting a worse warranty.

Sometimes, an OE part has a known problem that an aftermarket version will fix, with no (or tolerable) downsides. In my experience, that happens... almost never. But it does happen. Best example is dampers, notably Bilstein HD/Sport and KONI FSD.

Barring that (i.e. almost always), I go all-OE, all the time.

Don't really see the point of OEM, except for patching up a car that I'm about to get rid of.

I generally try to use quality aftermarket parts but have had mixed results.

Many years ago, I got an aftermarket vacuum brake booster that was so mis-sized just touching the brakes would practically put you through the windshield.

Recently, I got a Raybestos parking brake cable and the reach of the cable was way off. They appeared to have cut the sheath about 1" too long.

These were two occasions where I finished the job and thought "Man, I wish I had used OEM parts."

The other day I got some premium NAPA brake pads and they were made in India. We'll see how they work out. (It's a changing world.)

But, there have also been many times where I used aftermarket parts without a problem.

OE hardware is typically pretty good but I like to add quality aftermarket goodies to the mix on occasion.

Variety is the spice of life.
smile.gif

OE where my sanity reigns supreme over budget

If I'm pulling the dash on something ('02 Bonneville), everything that could/would reasonably fail is gonna get replaced with OE (Blend door actuator, blower motor, heater core)

Pumps, Pulleys, and belts are OEM or quality aftermarket (to the application)

Fluids are whatever is appropriate

I'm gonna second guess aftermarket brake products after the stunt Raybestos pulled on me with the shoes on my Taurus

With RockAuto and Amazon Prime, plus local chain parts stores and independents, I can usually find a solution that keeps my OCD, budget, time constraints, and sanity in check.

For brakes and suspension components, I buy from reputable aftermarket companies.

Hondas and Nissans are pretty finicky when it comes to electronics and ignition parts, so I stick with OE here. Same goes for hoses, rubber items and bushings, where OE tends to be of higher quality and fits right.

I used to run PureOne oil filters but don't anymore for obvious reasons. I found a dealer that actually stocks the ever-elusive Honda A01 oil filters so I use those now, along with Nissan OEM filters.

Last edited:
BMW airhead - a lot of aftermarket parts solved problems, so much so that I came to admire the Americans who stepped up. No way is a OEM airhead as good as one with an aftermarket starter, alternator and wiring harness, windshield, maybe even exhaust and intake valves.

With Japanese cars it seems the OE parts are fine. Seems Japan admits problems and fixes them, sometimes in 1 year. Other makes bury their heads in the sand, and the aftermarket steps in.

Parts have become so variable that it really depends on the particular situation for me. Aftermarket parts can be better or worse than OEM, and there is a lot of variability within aftermarket brands. It's hard to come up with a rule of thumb any more.

we buy oem sensors for the shop I like to say we use oem thermostats also but sometimes there is less drama letting the napa guy bring one.

It depends on the vehicle and the application. I like to buy OEM ignition and emission parts. The local MoFiat parts department is terrible and I won't set foot in the place, so it prompts me to buy aftermarket parts for my Jeeps. Any OEM Jeep parts for them will be through the internet and usually quite a distance away.
The local Ford dealer is excellent and I have no problem using more OEM parts on my Fords.

It depends on why I am replacing the part.

If the thing is failing earlier than what id like why am I following the same mistake to get the same usefulness out of the replacement part?

E.g. the brake pads for my car had really excessive chamfers and wore down quickly.

But if im happy with the performance or lifespan of tbe part and am replacing proactively or as preventative maintenance I'll go oem.

I generally get my sensors and specialty parts at the dealer.
Hoses, brakes, plugs, wires etc I just get where I can.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30

For the KIA, online I get the Auto7 brand which is the OEM parts.

Isn't Mobis the one that makes the OEM parts for Hyundai/Kia in NA?

A lot of parts that you buy at the dealership are "normal" parts with the car manufacturer's logo and a much higher price.

For example: a lot of clutch kits for MT transmissions over here are made by Valeo and you save at least 40% on it if you purchase it at any parts store VS the nice wrap X company's logo at the dealership.

Same goes for belts, timing kits , water pumps glow plugs and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back