Hydrostatice fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a John Deere L111 riding mower with a 20 HP Intek engine and "automatic" transmission. I have the service manual and there is no mention about changing out the transmission fluid. Engine oil is 5w30/10w30 and oil filter every 50 hours, along with greasing ad lubricating various levers. Any comments on the transmission fluid change?
Ed Hayes

I have a Hydrostatic 344-3000 trans axle with over 600 hours on it ,( 26 HP 48 in deck Garden Tractor ) I was told they really are not serviceable without alot if not many special tools , Hydro Gear does recommend 20-50 full synthetic oil if you need to add any

I have a 1994 Troybilt Gardenway 13037 garden tractor with the mounted 48" mowing deck. It has the hydrostatic Eaton 841. I use Tractor Supply SAE 20 wt oil every 150 hours or if it starts to whine. Fill is under the seat. Oil drop plug is near the filter.

The hydro unit on my John Deere 185 does not have a service interval, and the fluid isn't to be changed. It is 23 years old.

Same here , No service interval either ( sealed unit ) But they do need more oil eventually ,,,,I add mine through the top vent plug and top off to when it gets level with the axles

Originally Posted By: heyu
I have a Hydrostatic 344-3000 trans axle with over 600 hours on it ,( 26 HP 48 in deck Garden Tractor ) I was told they really are not serviceable without alot if not many special tools , Hydro Gear does recommend 20-50 full synthetic oil if you need to add any

Hydro-Gear recommends 20w50 conventional oil. But what is really required, any API SL or newer 40 or 50 wg. oils would pass.

You can drain and refill the oil on all of them, but it requires inverting the unit to drain the oil out the top vent or top fill port. Doing so will typically double to triple the lifespan of the unit. There are some write-ups here, or you can search MyTractorForum, TractorByNet or others.

Removing the rear end isn't really as bad as it sounds. 4 bolts typically hold the whole rear drive to the chassis, some linkages and a belt.

^^^ this is my eventual plan. maybe when we hit 5 years. or if I can vacuum some out with the mityvac and do a couple of partials...

I just did an oil change on my Hydro-gear G730 this weekend. The only specialty tool I needed was a new oil filter wrench because of how small the filter was. I drained my unit at 76 hours and according to the manual the first change should be done at 75-100 hours and then subsequent changes should be every 400 hours. I put in M1 15W-50 and a new Hydro-gear filter. It is running well and I will likely shorten up the interval significantly to 100 hours or so which is about every 3 years.

Yeah, those G730s are nice being fully serviceable with a spin-on filter. Basically HG's top of the line conventional riding mower drive.

That is EXACTLY what I did with my HG 730. If you do some searching, you'll find HG recommends conventional 20W50 (or any oil with a 9 cST minimum at 230F and SL rating). HG has recently ok'd the use of some synthetics in the 730, Mobil 1 in several weights, including the highly recommended 15W50, the others were less popular oils and some conventionals.
You will do yourself a big favor by changing the oil in the HG on a regular basis, and if you live and use it where it's hot, then syn is a good bet for long life.

Has anyone done a Sears Model # 91727350 hydro gear oil change? It has Transmission: Hydro Gear 336-0510 according to the search I found. I can't find any fill or drain ports.

Our Kubota G1800 only has about 600 hrs on it. The HST fluid looks brand new. Cant even see it on the dipstick.

Not that age has anything to do with oil, but since its pushing 20 years of service, I feel a filter change would do it some good though.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Our Kubota G1800 only has about 600 hrs on it. The HST fluid looks brand new. Cant even see it on the dipstick.

Not that age has anything to do with oil, but since its pushing 20 years of service, I feel a filter change would do it some good though.

That baby probably holds more than a gallon of HST I'm guessing?

That makes a world of difference from the smaller unitized drives that hold a quart or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back