Wife's Sentra 2.5l just hit over 100k, same oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lately here, we've been using the Pennzoil Platnium 5w30 in her car with the Fram Ultra Syn filter. Being that shes over 100 now, should we switch oil type/weight? I dont know how this all works, or maybe just keep getting at it with the PP 5w30.

Keep doing what your doing, that is an excellent combo. Besides, 100K isn't high mileage in a healthy engine.

On that particular engine [QR25] I would do exactly what you are doing now, don't change a thing. Extending your interval will most likely increase your consumption a little bit which is exactly what you want to avoid.

Th QR25's failure mode [supposedly fixed in 2007] is that oil consumption causes the high mounted catalytic converter to degrade. Turbulence sucks particles of the converter back into the combustion chamber and scores the cylinders.

My brother-in-law had his old company car's [2010 Sentra Spec-V] engine replaced on warranty for excess oil consumption. Nissan asked that under no circumstances was the engine to be opened, just send it to them in a crate. The dealership used cruddy Nissan SL oil on way too long 3,000 or 6,000 mile intervals though, which probably contributed to the damage. [15w-40 or 20w-50 SL mineral that they rate for 1550 miles or sketchy Nissan 10w-50 synthetic]

Keep on doing exactly what you've been doing and don't extend your oil changes past what your manual recommends.

Don't fix what ain't broke!

If your car is running good and you aren't experiencing any leaks or high consumption why change a good thing.

I never understood why people think they need to go to high mileage oil as soon as the OD hit a certain mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back