PH3600 size instead of PH16 size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running an FL-910S on my Taurus with the Vulcan 3.0 V6. WalMart was sold out of the FL-400S. No issues at all with downsizing the filter.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Does the 8316 have the same bypass as the 3600?

No. It's slightly higher (14 psi vs 12 psi)

No, it's a LOT higher about 23 psi IIRC. Tried one on my Jeep cause everything else was the same, and being a Liberty diesel filter designed for high pressures it was absolutely built like a tank. The higher bypass gave me problems (running noise AFTER cold start up) so I had to bail after a few weeks.

Fun experiment though.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

No, it's a LOT higher about 23 psi IIRC.

Fram's website begs to differ.

TG8316

TG3600

FWIW, Wix specifies the 51516 for the diesel Liberty, not the 51315 (which is on;ly spec'd for the Zetec)

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

2 PSI isn't gonna matter in this case.

That is always what I figured with a small difference like that. Thanks for the clarification.

Slightly OT: The 6609 is 13 psi while the 9688 is 9-15 psi. Same gasket and thread size, but the 9688 is slightly bigger. I consider them interchangeable assuming one has the room.

No, it's a LOT higher about 23 psi IIRC. Tried one on my Jeep cause everything else was the same, and being a Liberty diesel filter designed for high pressures it was absolutely built like a tank. The higher bypass gave me problems (running noise AFTER cold start up) so I had to bail after a few weeks.

Fun experiment though.

This is kind of what I was getting at regarding the bypass. I remember you trying this out on your Jeep. Lol.

Fun experiment though.

KC, that STP filter you sent me, wasn't that a high PSI bypass filter? My engine sounded like a wood pecker on a street light upon start up using it.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Fun experiment though.

KC, that STP filter you sent me, wasn't that a high PSI bypass filter? My engine sounded like a wood pecker on a street light upon start up using it.

Yes but it wasn't an STP, it was the Wix version of the 8316 another diesel liberty filter equivalent that "should" fit anything an FL-400s but you had problems with noise due to the bypass as well. I cut and posted the STP 8316 about the same time I bet that is what you were thinking of.

dlundblad said:

Fun experiment though.

Yes but it wasn't an STP, it was the Wix version of the 8316 another diesel liberty filter equivalent that "should" fit anything an FL-400s but you had problems with noise due to the bypass as well. I cut and posted the STP 8316 about the same time I bet that is what you were thinking of.

Oh, yeah.......
06.gif

No, it's a LOT higher about 23 psi IIRC.

Fram's website begs to differ.

TG8316

TG3600

FWIW, Wix specifies the 51516 for the diesel Liberty, not the 51315 (which is on;ly spec'd for the Zetec)

There has been a change since I tried it then if I can try some new stock I may try one again. And I bought one of the Wix clones as well, and it was NOT a FL-400s equivalent at the time I sent it to BOF in fact cause I couldn't use it. It also had the double ADBV set up, the 51516 does not I use those a lot on the Jeep currently in fact like 'em a lot.

I wonder how to tell what is new stock with a Fram?

There has been a change since I tried it then if I can try some new stock I may try one again. And I bought one of the Wix clones as well, and it was NOT a FL-400s equivalent at the time I sent it to BOF in fact cause I couldn't use it. It also had the double ADBV set up, the 51516 does not I use those a lot on the Jeep currently in fact like 'em a lot.

KC, you're correct, it was a WIX filter.
You know our engines are very similar when it comes to oil filters. The FU I have on my engine has done a great job on my engine upon start up. Keeps it quiet as a church mouse. Have you ever considered trying a FU?

There is a date code on the filter, written axially, near the thread and gasket end, as described here

NOTE: the OCOD and TG may have it in a different place than where the Ultra has it, but is likely the same format.

The FU I have on my engine has done a great job on my engine upon start up. Keeps it quiet as a church mouse. Have you ever considered trying a FU?

No I do run Tough Guards sometimes but at the intervals I run even a TG is overkill. Have a TG3600 on the Concorde right now that is gonna be run over 10k though and cut/posted for posterity here.

There is a date code on the filter, written axially, near the thread and gasket end, as described here

NOTE: the OCOD and TG may have it in a different place than where the Ultra has it, but is likely the same format.

Thank you still not really getting the code but that helps, good start anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back