Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Primus,

Try these charts http://139.142.147.15/. Its what I use.

I can see your point on AMD daily charts. The lower high from $18.30 to $17.80. The latest wave hasn't completed itself so you will need to see that. Agree as a long term holder it appears risky however there are 2 ways to approach what you see. One is the pullback from $18.30 is oppurtunity to get in on weakness on an overall trend up. The other which you see is a stock that appears to be in a downtrend. One is right and one is wrong.

LU up $.08 and VIGN up $.09.....looks like I'm back in business!

Did you ever buy some LU Pablo?

No, did buy LU - I just keep waiting like a fool. I missed ARO and some other movers as well.

I've been really busy at work and so I check stocks maybe on 4 or 5 times a day lately....
frown.gif

To be honest I'm a bit spooked....but you know, I should be optimistic the way the market shook off Greenspan's negativity!

Remember when I started a thread on my 401K choices???? All of my five picks have been great EXCEPT the American Funds "Growth Fund of America", down 3% this year!!

On a positive note, dividend announcements have been sweet on my stocks.

I've been considering some dollar to euro currency speculation. I think the purchase fees from a bank would kill much of the profit- where could I open an account to do this?

Amkeer,
Thanks for your links, really easier to read and may be used by potential investors. The only lacks: it does not provide mini S&P 500 and Euro
grin.gif
. For this purpose I would use

http://www.futuresource.com/charts/charts.jsp?s=ECH04&o=&a=V:60&z=610x300&d=medium&b=BAR&st=

Lance,
There is no sense to use cash or open a bank account to make such transactions. For this you may trade Euro contract/s at FX via some broker. The latter will open you an account where you will need to place required amount. Then you will be able to buy or sell Euro contracts. Profit or loss is calculated on the base of points: 1 point = $ 12.50. Also possible to use Options. Less adrenaline, I think, but result may be the same. Just be careful, the market is quite volatile and some losses may give you pain. So, try to avoid intraday trading.

Primus

Thanks. I figured there was a way to do it without using the banks. Muriel Siebert looks like a good broker to use. Any suggestions from the group?

Lance, if you look in the paper (WSJ, NY TIMES), you'll see the foreign currency exchange rates including the price of forward contracts.

When I was buying and selling currencies as a Treasury Manager, the banks or anyone else were not interested in deals of less than $100k.

You will have to be Nostrodamus to beat the markets with the fees I would expect to be attached lower dollar amounts. Most foreign currency is bought and sold forward as a hedge, not to realize a profit, although I'm sure it is done often.

I tend to steer clear of most commodity trading, altough I have dabbled a bit when I have some "inside" information (not the illegal kind).

Currency stuff doesn't seem so predictable in many ways, OTOH it doesn't swing really huge up and down (quickly). There are some good reading materials out there.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Lance, if you look in the paper (WSJ, NY TIMES), you'll see the foreign currency exchange rates including the price of forward contracts.

When I was buying and selling currencies as a Treasury Manager, the banks or anyone else were not interested in deals of less than $100k.

You will have to be Nostrodamus to beat the markets with the fees I would expect to be attached lower dollar amounts. Most foreign currency is bought and sold forward as a hedge, not to realize a profit, although I'm sure it is done often.

Euro contracts I was speaking about is futures contracts. Each contract is $ 125K where 1 point is $12.50. You may sell or buy using an amount at your account, but a part of this amount to be always maintained on certain minimum level. This is so called margin that is used as cash collateral by broker. In fact you are allowed to trade only with the amount over this margin. And if you are below the margin, a broker may require you close your position at any current price. "Options" trade is less costly: you just get the right to buy or sell at certain price and no margins at all.

AMD up almost 10% off that basing pattern I mentioned a couple of days ago!

This market is tough! There is no follow through and lack of direction either way. Its gonna make me old quick!
mad.gif
grin.gif
Just when you get accustomed to certain market conditions they change and you have to adjust. I have been forced to keep tighter stops than I normally do since the wild swings can take profits quick. These wild up and down swings mean we are in for a direction change.

Hey guys....you might want to check out MOBL. It's a small telecom company. I own almost 4k shares since it is one of those penny stocks. I bought at $0.03 and then some more at $0.05.......it's up to $0.07 now. It's so cheap that with 50 bucks you can buy a whole lot of shares......if you lose it....it was only $50.
Check it out!

Rick

Oh yeah, yesterday was a GREAT day to take a cash position in two of my slower mutual funds....I mean the funds weren't bad, just lagged the market a bit last year, had a real healthy spurt and I was a little outside my comfort zone as far as cash to equities goes...."locked in" the profits, so to speak.

I may be a buyer again but really want to select "the perfect fund"...
grin.gif
if it exists!
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Hey guys....you might want to check out MOBL. It's a small telecom company. I own almost 4k shares since it is one of those penny stocks. I bought at $0.03 and then some more at $0.05.......it's up to $0.07 now. It's so cheap that with 50 bucks you can buy a whole lot of shares......if you lose it....it was only $50.
Check it out!

Rick

I have some of those. 1 I have 10,000 shares at .05/share. It's now .04. Jeez... I've been watching the company for about 3 years. I hope they make it someday. They have a propritary way to clean up soil from different toxic waste areas, namely "oil" related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back