oil for a 2011 VW TDI Golf with DPF delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some oil recommendations, I have a 2011 VW Golf TDI that I deleted the DPF and EGR valve. With the delete I don't have to run the low saps oil cause I don't have the DPF there anymore. Is there something better out there That I should try. I was running the mobile one esp 5w-30 that was VW 507 compliant with the DPF. Any suggestions?

Shell helix ultra 5w40
Motul X-cess 5w40

anything with acea A3/A4/B4..5w40
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Shell helix ultra 5w40
Motul X-cess 5w40

anything with acea A3/A4/B4..5w40
smile.gif

This ^^, or if you have the urge to buy domestic -M1 Euro flavour or Delvac1 5w40.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

This ^^, or....

Now I am waiting on "them" to start "[censored]" WHY NOT 0w40....0w20
grin.gif

Well, there aren't a lot of 5w-40 choices in A3/B3 A3/B4 without hunting for imports, or Castrol 5w-40, which isn't so popular, or Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, which is technically out of spec but very serviceable.

Something like Castrol 0w-30 and 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 are hard to beat based on price and availability, throughout North America.

i suggest you Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40, in my place, it is one of robust oil. someone had tested it on 11000 km in the lab and the UOA results tells that this oil can go on maybe until 20000 km with changing the oil filter on 10000 km. the user deleted EGR, Catalytic converter and no DPF.

Originally Posted By: nyumski
i suggest you Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40, in my place, it is one of robust oil. someone had tested it on 11000 km in the lab and the UOA results tells that this oil can go on maybe until 20000 km with changing the oil filter on 10000 km. the user deleted EGR, Catalytic converter and no DPF.

That's a fine choice, but it's difficult to find here. Use the equivalent Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40, Rotella T6, or Delo 5w-40. They're easy to locate. I get T6 from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: nyumski

That's a fine choice, but it's difficult to find here. Use the equivalent Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40, Rotella T6, or Delo 5w-40. They're easy to locate. I get T6 from Amazon.

for T6 and delo, they are hard to locate here in indonesia. since ive asked to many forum about those oil in my place. TDT is much easier to find here and absolutely with high cost

Since you have removed the DPF there is no need for a low SAPS oil (even though this would still work fine).

Get yourself a full synthetic ACEA A3/B4 oil in your favorite weight, 5W30 like you are running now should be fine.

These A3/B4 oils are full SAPS which hopefully give better wear protection and definitely have a higher TBN ( 10 or more).

Just be careful some oils I have seen (Valvoline Australia, I'm looking at you) are rated ACEA A3/B4/C3 which is not possible. It can't be low SAPS and high SAPS at the same time. They are really low SAPS C3 oils (which are good oils) which can be used in A3/B4 applications in regions that have low sulphur fuel. Not quite the same thing. If you want high SAPS avoid the ACEA C3 oils and go for A3/B4 only oils (B3 is ok however).

Originally Posted By: SR5

Just be careful some oils I have seen (Valvoline Australia, I'm looking at you) are rated ACEA A3/B4/C3 which is not possible. It can't be low SAPS and high SAPS at the same time. They are really low SAPS C3 oils (which are good oils) which can be used in A3/B4 applications in regions that have low sulphur fuel. Not quite the same thing. If you want high SAPS avoid the ACEA C3 oils and go for A3/B4 only oils (B3 is ok however).

I think that is consequence of vw 504/507 standard....where 504 means FULL SAPS (A3/B4) oil...and 507 standard means LOW SAPS (C3) oil...

Basically.....A3/B4/C3 oil...as you had mention is essentially LOW SAPS oil....because C3 prevails in spec.

Just because you remove the DPF doesn't mean you no longer need a low saps oil. Modern petrol engines obviously do not have DPF's but still often require a low saps oil. The modern TWC's often require a low saps oil as well as the DPF's

A/B : gasoline and diesel engine oils

A1/B1 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate (HTHS) viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

C : Catalyst compatibility oils
C1 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines requiring low friction, low viscosity, low SAPS oils with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9 mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicles fuel economy.
Warning: these oils have the lowest SAPS limits and are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

C2 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicles fuel economy.
Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

C3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines, with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life.
Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

C4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines requiring low SAPS oil with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: riggaz
507.00 is longlife diesel spec
504.00 is longlife petrol spec

both low saps

504.00 is FULL saps by VW definition.....I know a little awkward VW spec 504/507

Just because you remove the DPF doesn't mean you no longer need a low saps oil. Modern petrol engines obviously do not have DPF's but still often require a low saps oil. The modern TWC's often require a low saps oil as well as the DPF's

Since he has deleted his DPF he doesnt need low saps oil enymore!!!

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Since he has deleted his DPF he doesnt need low saps oil enymore!!!

That's not necessarily true. I believe the low SAPS oils are also meant to better control deposit formations.

In gasoline GDI engine......turbodiesel doesnt have that problem....at least if everything is OK with engine (engine without abnormal oil consumption)

Has he removed his catalytic converter then? Modern cats require reductions in zddp as well as DPF's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back