Symptoms of timing belt off one tooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is a 2004 Honda Odyssey EX with 138k miles. Purchased this in January of this year; days later, I found recent service records where the PO had problems with the engine overheating, and temp gauge going into the red. PO took the vehicle to three different shops, each of which just threw parts at the problem. None of their guesses fixed the problem, and the owner ultimately sunk about $2,000 chasing this down. No wonder they gave up and traded it in.

I narrowed down the problem to a bad head gasket (likely started out as something small or insignificant, but repeated overheats probably lead to a HG failure and subsequent warping of the cyl. head) on the front cylinder bank. After removing the heads, it was clear that the front HG had failed.

A $410 valve job and resurfacing of both heads, and lots of my time later, I have the van back up and running. I had the engine out of the van, and replaced every seal, belt, plugs, etc; pretty much all maintenance items have been replaced.

For some reason the van doesn't feel like it has all the power it used to. Compression is outstanding (200-210 PSI on all cylinders), the whole upper end is practically new, thus there's not many things to point a finger at.

I did have a heck of a time getting the cams & crank aligned right when I put the new timing belt on. I probably took the belt on & off about thirty times making sure it was 100% accurate. The problem was, it seemed that the cam alignment mark was always 1/2 tooth off. If I tried moving the cam one tooth to correct it, it would go one half tooth off in the other direction. When I had the belt on as close as I could get it, it would go a whole tooth off (advanced, IIRC) when I pulled the pin on the tensioner and turned the engine by hand. What I later discovered, is that if you install the belt with the cams one full tooth retarded (in other words, you're sort of installing the belt wrong), once the tensioner is let go (pin pulled), all the marks line up after turning the engine a couple times. This is where I left it, and I'm fairly confident it is right-- while I can't be 100% certain there's a loss in power (I haven't driven the van in 3 months) it does feel noticeably more sluggish, whereas I would expect an increase in power due to the valve job & HG swap. I'm used to having timing marks on the belt itself, which practically eliminates any chance for error, but the belts on these engines are absent of any markings. I did mark the old belt, however, where the camshaft was, so I'm 100% sure there's the correct number of teeth between the cams.

Is this worth digging into and investigating, or am I just being paranoid? Is it correct to have the markings fall into place *after* the tensioner is released, instead of before? Because I can see two ways of installing the belt: You're either correct (timing marks line up) before tensioner is released, but it moves one tooth off when tensioner is applied... *OR* you install it "wrong," being one tooth off, and then once the tensioner is released and engine spun, then the lines match up nicely.

What sort of symptoms will an engine exhibit when a belt is only one tooth off? I ask this because the engine is 100% smooth as silk, quiet, basically runs like a dream with no driveability issues whatsoever. Only thing I've observed is what I believe to be a slight loss of power, perhaps on the order of 5-10%. I haven't tracked fuel economy as I've been doing a lot of idling, thus gas mileage will certainly be lower than I'm used to.

I am only getting one OBD-II code, which is for the knock sensor. The sensor broke when I was working in the "V" of the engine, the plastic broke off the metal housing. I attempted to repair it by soldering the wires back onto the piezo(?) element, and then using RTV to fasten the plastic back onto the metal housing. This appears to be a common occurrence, as I attempted to pull a sensor from a junkyard vehicle (to replace mine), and the same thing had happened to theirs, even before I used a wrench to remove it.

VTEC is not engaging, presumably because of the knock sensor code, but I experience the slight loss in power at lower RPMs where VTEC would not be active anyways.

Is there anyway short of removing timing covers and physically checking the belt to ensure that the valve timing is correct? Or has anyone had similar trouble setting timing as I have? Or is it imperative to set timing to the marks before tension is applied? If I knew what type of problems manifest themselves with valve timing off one tooth, I might be able to eliminate that as a possibility-- for example if being off one tooth causes horrible performance, misfires, codes to be set, etc. I could safely say that is not the problem here, because I'm not experiencing anything significant-- just a slight, but noticeable decrease in performance.

Any info, suggestions, tips, advise on the subject would sure be appreciated. I've done timing belts before, but I've always had marks on the belt to go by-- without it, I simply had the marks on the pulleys and backing plate which seems sort of crude to me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't you think it would be reasonable for the engine to retard the timing if it knows something is wrong with the knock sensor?If you were in charge of the engine computer, would you or would you not put that in the program if you had to write it?

I don't want to be sarcastic. You are capable of taking the entire engine apart and putting it back together. I wish I could have even 10% of your ability but it surprises me that you are overlooking something so basic like this.

Heck, you could hook up a scanner and look at the timing or timing retard to confirm this. I have got 99 Odyssey which is the same generation, although the engine tune might be different. Otherwise I can give you the data from vehicle to compare against.

Last edited:
The Marks need to line up after the tensioner is released & the Cranks has been rotated 2 revolutions.

The Knock sensor needs to be replaced, The Ignition Timing will be retarded without a functional KS!

One hallmark sign I see when the belt is off a tooth is the inability of the engine to rev quickly. If you're in neutral and hit the gas, it takes a second or two for it to rev up.

Check the vacuum - when the TB is off by a tooth, the vacuum will be marginal, perhaps 15 - 17 lbs rather than 18 - 20 lbs.

I've learned the hard way to mark the TB with a yellow paint pen before removing it. With the cam & crank pulleys properly aligned @ TDC, mark the TB where it lines up with the cam pulleys. Transfer the marks to the new belt.

The following applies to my work with a Mazda JE engine - 3.0 l SOHC. It may apply to your Odyssey as well.

The marks should line up properly before the tensioner pin is pulled. If the belt has been installed properly to that point, all of the slack will be in that portion of the belt adjacent to the tensioner. The tensioner, engaged, will not pull the cam or crank pulleys out of position.

As well, the marks on the Mazda JE engine are offset in that the camshaft marks sit well in front of the marks on the heads. To avoid parallax error (ask me how I know about this
blush.gif
) I have found it helpful to use a yellow paint pen to mark the tooth on the cam pulley that lines up with the mark on the front of the pulley. That marked tooth should line up with the mark on the head. Make sense?

Good luck!

I've done timing belts on that engine before. The marks always line up with or without the tensioner pin. Did you use an OEM timing belt? With the compression numbers you have I doubt you're off on mechanical timing. Your knock sensor will reduce power & stop vtec from operating.

replace the knock sensor and then see if it improves after you clear the codes ..use a vacuum gauge that will tell you if something is wrong

The 3.5 "V-Shmeck" SOHC V6 isn't "proper V-TEC" in the grand tradition. It doesn't deliver that slam in the seat over 9 thousand power delivery, because it's detuned (FWD V6 Minivan) and it's only on the intake valve.

The knock sensor code disabling that is hurting power more then you might think IMO

The factory NGK plugs were installed?

No vacuum leaks after the rebuild?

Clean the MAF?

+1 on the vacuum gauge test

Quote:
What sort of symptoms will an engine exhibit when a belt is only one tooth off?
This happened to me. Took it to my shop to have timing belt replaced, along with a few other things. Car seemed fine upon return. However, I noticed when climbing a rather large, long hill nearby, it felt like it had very little power. Gas mileage also suffered. Unfortunately, I didn't connect the dots until years later! Royal PITA.

I was doing something else in the TB area and decided to verify the marks. Lo & behold, when I turned the engine over (no spark plugs installed), I noticed it was a tooth off! Suddenly it all made sense!

When it was fixed, the whooosh & power were back. Like the sled of old. Not sure how many degrees one tooth represents, but the valve timing being off that little bit, sure made a difference.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The Marks need to line up after the tensioner is released & the Cranks has been rotated 2 revolutions.

The Knock sensor needs to be replaced, The Ignition Timing will be retarded without a functional KS!

This

Originally Posted By: Silk
Symptoms will usually be - poor idle, low vacuum and high compression.
High compression?

The major complaint when a belt is one tooth (verified) off is less power.
This engine uses a crank sensor and cam TDC sensor so i would think any disparity between the two would throw a CEL. Not sure on that i will have have to look it up just a thought.

If the marks lined up after 2 two rotations its okay. Replace the knock sensor, as someone pointed out the ecm is holding timing retarded and preventing timing advance because it has no input from the knock sensor.
This will also feel like a loss of power.

Did you send the cam pulleys in with the heads? I've seen the machine shop send back the wrong pulleys for a set of heads.

Other wise Trav is on the right track.

Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back