Looking for small saw- Stihl MS170 vs. Echo CS310

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, do any of you have any experience with either of these models?

Am looking for a small saw to replace an old Poulan S25D and these are the two that seem to best fit my price range and needs.

Both can be had locally from small stores, though the Echo would come from a small rental chain (new). Both would be test fired, both have a similar sized and powered engine, both with the same accessories would cost similar (with the same accessories) and both have the same 4.5 star ratings.

The Echo seems to need a carb tune and maybe gutting the cat in the muffler to run well, but seems to be laid out in a very user friendly manner for servicing. It would come with a low profile 3/8" pitch saw chain (.050" gauge) and a 14" bar. It also comes with a 5 year consumer warranty.

From the videos I watched, the MS 170 seems to run a bit better out of the box and comes equipped with a 16" bar (not that I need it) and the 3/8" pitch narrow gauge .043" saw chain. I'm curious how the narrow gauge chain will perform and last compared to the standard gauge chain...

Are there any points I'm glossing over? What is your input?

Both have a 5 year warranty as well I believe. Which shop do you want to do more business with? Go with that saw.
I've found the 3/8 LP chain pretty good on my little saw. Its limbed dozens of white cedars for posts, cut a bit of dirt flush cutting stumps, and I'm still on the original chain. I sharpen by hand so even the teeth have quite a bit of meat left.
Compared to the big saw, I think the little saw doesn't have enough hp to damage a chain much anyways, just keep the teeth sharp and oil in the tank.

I have one of the 170 or 180 Stihls, not sure which exact model. I too had some concerns about the smaller chain. But after using it awhile, I don't find the smaller chain much less effective. Yes, the saw does cut a little slower than my larger Stihl. But not enough to make a big difference on most of the jobs I use it for.

The only complaint I have with the small Stihl is the starting. It has a stiff pull and only the tip of my boot fits inside the handle loop, making the boot/handle on the ground method of starting (which I generally prefer) a bit of a hassle.

Last edited:
I've had my Stihl MS171 for a little over a year.. no issues what so ever, starts every time and is lightweight and eager to cut.

I have a ms180, my only complaint is with the small saws and the .043 gauge chain, it's fragile and will break if you hit anything hard like a nail or rock which tends to happen in yard work

The last saw I bought back in '07 was a little Echo CS346 to augment the use of my Jonsereds 630 and 670. I must say that the Echo is my first go-to saw for most everything I do lately. Some of it's from simply just being too lazy/old to pull out a 14 lb. saw when I have the light but very capable Echo nearby. I actually feel a bit guilty for flogging the little Echo so hard. However, it just happily cuts without hesitation provided the chain is sharp.

I know Stihl make good saws. However, due to not having one of my own, I'm not certain how good their small saws are. On the contrary, I do know what the little Echo is capable of.

A load of firewood I cut a month ago. Big wood for a little saw.

DSCN4517_zpsttupb8ko.jpg

Originally Posted By: boraticus
The last saw I bought back in '07 was a little Echo CS346 to augment the use of my Jonsereds 630 and 670. I must say that the Echo is my first go-to saw for most everything I do lately. Some of it's from simply just being too lazy/old to pull out a 14 lb. saw when I have the light but very capable Echo nearby. I actually feel a bit guilty for flogging the little Echo so hard. However, it just happily cuts without hesitation provided the chain is sharp.

I know Stihl make good saws. However, due to not having one of my own, I'm not certain how good their small saws are. On the contrary, I do know what the little Echo is capable of.

A load of firewood I cut a month ago. Big wood for a little saw.

DSCN4517_zpsttupb8ko.jpg

If you keep the chain sharp they all cut wood!
When I took my saw course, the instructor borrowed an 017 to cut down a 24" tree to show all the proper techniques. It took a little longer with the bar buried all the time, but not much.

True enough. Properly sharpened chains is the difference between a good day of cutting or a terrible day of unnecessary effort, going deaf and getting nowhere.

However, not all small saws are created equal. My neighbor has a small Poulan and the Echo seems to be a much better saw. Even with fresh chains, the difference is noticeable. I must say however, that I did remove the catalytic converter and upped the revs a bit on the Echo.

Funny thing is that the Echo is about eight years old with lots of hours on it. The Poulan is maybe two years old and very lightly used. The owner's daughter, who's an avid outdoors woman, took a chainsaw course and often joins in when cutting firewood. She loves to use the small saws. If both saws are available, she always goes to the Echo. I asked her why one day? She looked around to see where her dad was then said something to the effect that the Poulan isn't as much fun to use. It's heavier, not as nicely balanced and cuts slower.

I admit that this is not a fair comparison. The Echo 346 was more expensive and is classified as a pro calbre saw. Pretty sure a smal Stihl would be a much better comparison. Can't say the same for the small Huskys. They're just orange Poulans.

I've always wondered how the Poulan Pros cross reference with which husky saw, I think the regular Poulan is the cheapest husky, but maybe the Poulan pros are mid line huskies?. My husky 141 was plagued with carburetor issues in the first few years but now seems to have settled out and runs decently. Sometimes I regret not getting a pro 40-45 cc saw, but the little plastic saws are the same weight, and its nice having a POS saw for bad jobs...
Right now for a hardwood tree, I'll take the limbs down to about 4-5" with the 141, and then get out the 372 for the rest. Probably using a pro 45cc I would go to about 8-9" before breaking out the big saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back