Non-ethanol pump spout. Different size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I visited a Marathon gas station yesterday that offers 87, 89, 90 and 93 octanes. The 90 grade advertises as ethenol-free/E0. When i tried to use it though, the spout's diameter is larger than the fuel tanks access hole.

Is this common?

That's exactly what i thought as well, but being my first attempt at this, i wasn't sure. thanks.

Could the pump be old enough that it's one of the vintage Leaded pumps? The advent of catalytic converters spawned a new style of pump, so a person couldn't insert a leaded pump nozzle into a car the needes unleaded. This was done by making the hole smaller at the fill point so only the smaller unleaded nozzle can fit in.

Uh why would they fill an old pump that can't be used in cars with gas and leave it there and apparently functional?

Is it by any chance marked for marine and off road use only? In which case they figure you are only filling cans? I know the last time I was in florida, that was the only way I could find E-0.

Last edited:
I live in Florida and all the Marathons in my town sell the same recreational 90 non-ethanol gas. It's labeled as Rec 90.

Maybe you mistook the diesel pump for the non-ethanol 90 octane? Next time you are at that gas station make sure and check the pump real well. Should have a regular size nozzle.

All good points. The station is less than a year old and replaced the BP that was there before. All the pumps are new and have black handles, except for the 90 octane one which is green.

If you buy some, see if there's red dye. That would indicate it's for untaxed, off-road use.

Originally Posted By: wemay
All good points. The station is less than a year old and replaced the BP that was there before. All the pumps are new and have black handles, except for the 90 octane one which is green.
Green is the normal color for diesel, & the nozzle would be bigger than an unleaded hole. Wonder if it is for off-road use only? If Marathon sold it here, I'd cut down a funnel to MAKE it fit & that's all I would use!

Federal mandates require E10 in cars.Its a small engine pump for gas cans.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

This makes the most sense.

The federal government does not mandate or require that E10 be used in cars. Instead, they've prescribed a certain amount of renewable fuel to be sold by state -- and ethanol blends (all of them) contribute to that.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The federal government does not mandate or require that E10 be used in cars. Instead, they've prescribed a certain amount of renewable fuel to be sold by state -- and ethanol blends (all of them) contribute to that.

Plus the RFG fuels mandated areas, which is always met with ethanol.

E85 nozzles are exactly the same size as E10 and E0 nozzles. That is why there are labels all over the place on the E85 pumps.

Use that Wikipedia page with a grain of salt. A lot of bad info on there. For example, it lists that ethanol free gas is illegal in Minnesota. Yet there are many retailers selling ethanol free (non-oxy) 91 octane all over the state. Its labeled for use in collector cars, OPE, boats, and ATV's, but nobody polices it.

Also, not sure how things work in other states, but there is no such thing as off-road gasoline in Minnesota. Doesn't matter what you pay for, you pay road taxes. However, some of that tax money is given to programs like ATV trails, snowmobile trails, etc... Off road diesel is another story... In addition, you can apply for a refund of the tax on gasoline, but it is never sold without the tax.

Guessing in the case of the OP that the hardware from an old diesel pump is being reused. Would work fine with filling gas cans, but not sure what else...

Last edited:
We have Kerosene pumps around here with three foot hoses. To prevent diesel operators from avoiding taxes.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back