Aux. Spin on Transmission Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to save some $$$ ..got to Northern Tool's site. You can get a hydraulic mount for (I think) $15+. It includes a filter.

Otherwise, anything is better than none. Take your pick. I guess I'd recommend the same thing I do for engine usage. Buy based on how long you're going to keep it in service.

Gary, thanks for the heads-up on Northern Tool, I may
buy another mount from them for another vehicle.

I'd already ordered the B&M mount, and it came with a
filter which is labeled Purolator. I'll use it, at least
initially and might go to a better filter later.

The B&M and whatever clones are just fine. The distribution is such on those items that they're more or less "price fixed". For some odd reason Permacool has the market pretty well locked down and the vendor advertising agreements make no matter where you turn about the same price. The bright side is you can use off the shelf passenger car filter that are anywhere from $2.xx on up.

The hydraulic mounts are cheaper, but the replacement filters will tend to be more expensive. They'll also tend to be finer filters; more suited the cleaner environment of the trans.

you have alot of choices with 3/4-16 is the nominal 21 micron range

here are a few wix numbers:

The 3/4-16 mount is ideal if you've got space restraints. Lots of sizes to choose from. You can then just service as you see fit (although I really think that once a year would be more than enough).

Your common hydraulic filter will be a PH8/FL1A size and (usually) comes with a 10um nominal rating.

The filter that came with the B&M mount is a
Purolator V1A. Would this filter have a 10 um
rating?

I plan on draining a few ounces of ATF prior to
installing the filter, and comparing it to a few
ounces of ATF after running the filter for a while.
I don't expect it to return to a cherry red color,
but maybe some cleaning of the fluid would be apparent...?

Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
The filter that came with the B&M mount is a
Purolator V1A. Would this filter have a 10 um
rating?

I plan on draining a few ounces of ATF prior to
installing the filter, and comparing it to a few
ounces of ATF after running the filter for a while.

V1A (which is a group 7 number) = wix 51515, motorcraft FL1A, fram PH8A, purolator L30001, pureone PL30001.

Standard automotive engine oil filter. All to my knowledge have a nominal 21 micron rating. though the pureone has the best beta rato I think.

If you want a shorter filter (4.3in) with the same diameter (3.6in) as the 51515 cross wix #51068 to your favorite brand.

a little bit shorter (4.8in) than the 51515 and not as fat (2.9 in) around cross wix #51516

Quote:

It's possible, but I've always started with red fluid. That sorta says "YES" in that it didn't change. With a tp filter you can see the stuff collected decrease. It takes about 3 evolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back