2014 Jeep GC Diesel M1 ESP 0w30 Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently performed an oil change on my GC diesel using M1 ESP 0w30 instead of the recommended ESP 5w30. After doing so I noticed the 0w30 does NOT meet Chrysler's MS-11106 spec and that the ash content is slightly higher (.8% vs .6%) than that of the 5w30 version.

So my questions: Should I dump this load now and replace with ESP 5w30? Should I go with it until my next oil change (I'm going 8,000 between changes) and then switch back to ESP 5w30?

I have no idea what a typical ash content is, so not sure if .6 vs .8 is a significant difference or not. Any other reason to dump the 0w30 load early?

I appreciate your opinions, thanks!

4 year member, but first post. Is that a record?
smile.gif

Last edited:
I can't see why you can't run this oil until the next oil change as .8 ash is really low and should be compatible with your DPF. I'm running Rotella T6 in my 2007 jeep with the diesel and dpf filter and have had no trouble with this oil.

Originally Posted By: A310
I can't see why you can't run this oil until the next oil change as .8 ash is really low and should be compatible with your DPF. I'm running Rotella T6 in my 2007 jeep with the diesel and dpf filter and have had no trouble with this oil.

Shell Rotella T6 has an ash content of 1% so your .8% should be ok for the dpf filter:)

Thank you! I was afraid I was going to have to waste 8 quarts of otherwise perfectly good, very expensive oil!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The 0w-30 might be approved if someone from the factory or the oil company took the time to check it out.

True, a lot of these specs are met because of an internal company test and the opinion that the oil meets the given spec referenced, rarely does anyone call their bluff.

I would keep it in, but move back to ESO 5W30.
Do not understand why would you abandon ESP 5W30? IMO, by far the best oil in that category with remarkable pour point, so no need for 0W.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: chrisri
I would stick with Chrysler approved oils while under warranty.

This.

Me too, especially with a diesel engine.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Do not understand why would you abandon ESP 5W30? IMO, by far the best oil in that category with remarkable pour point, so no need for 0W.

It wasn't intentional. I searched in Amazon, picked the wrong one and didn't realize it until I had already dumped my old oil. Decided to go with it thinking it wasn't likely to be much different. Noticed then that it didn't meet the same specs.

I'll probably leave it in, but change back to 5w30 after a shorter than usual drain interval.

Originally Posted By: ZheWiz
Originally Posted By: edyvw

It wasn't intentional. I searched in Amazon, picked the wrong one and didn't realize it until I had already dumped my old oil. Decided to go with it thinking it wasn't likely to be much different. Noticed then that it didn't meet the same specs.

I'll probably leave it in, but change back to 5w30 after a shorter than usual drain interval.

Yeah, no need to change, but go back to ESP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back