Ratcheting wrench lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure I posted this before but it never really went anywhere. I have some older, nice craftsman ratcheting wrenches that are in very good shape but are starting to get a little difficult to toggle the forward/reverse lever. They do not appear to be rebuildable, actually I'm not sure how they were even assembled. Anyways, I've tried all types of different lubes to restore their smooth function including WD40, Fluid Film, CLP, 20w50 M1 and penetrating white lithium to name a few. Some provide better results than others but none really worked if you know what I mean.

At this point I'm thinking about ordering some ZEP 2000 or CRC Penetrating Grease but neither are particularly cheap and I am concerned about their actual penetrating ability. Can anybody who has used them comment? These wrenches seem to have fairly tight tolerances compared to, say, a regular ratchet driver. Below is a picture of new vs old style, I have the old style which is shown on the bottom.

Actually, if anybody knows if/how these are rebuildable I would be all for that option, just don't see a way and since they don't make them anymore don't want to destroy one!

wrenches.jpg

Pour some oil in a coffee can and soak the ratcheting ends in fluid. Any lubricating oil will work fine such as transmission fluid or motor oil.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Pour some oil in a coffee can and soak the ratcheting ends in fluid. Any lubricating oil will work fine such as transmission fluid or motor oil.

^^+1^^

I once heard of a mechanic that stuck all his ratchets head first in a can full of Dexron each Friday and let them soak all weekend.

I dip ratcheting wrenches in a GL-4 gear lube because they need some EP additives for the bearings and teeth.

Last edited:
I second the can of oil comments. It works for Ratchets of all kinds. Just beware, it may drip a few drops after being wiped off but will be a lot smoother then before. If you skip this step and it gets too rough, it may be lost but worth soaking and working a few times to see.

All you need is some thin oil applied where the black part meets the chrome and then rotate the box end back and forth to work the lube in. Something thin like Tri-Flow or transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

^^+1^^

I once heard of a mechanic that stuck all his ratchets head first in a can full of Dexron each Friday and let them soak all weekend.

Thats what i have been doing since 1971. Haven't had to replace a mechanism yet because of wear.

^^+1 I usually use mmo or atf

I have been using a bicycle chain lube on my ratcheting wrenches, which seems to work fine. I use ProLink Chain Lube made by ProGold Lubricants. That stuff contains a friction reducer and does not become tacky over time. It's also great for preventing corrosion. I actually wipe for protection all my hand tools that I keep in the garage or in the car with an oily rag.

I occasionally drop mine in a tray of Dexron, or hot dirty engine oil.

Wish I could say that it was with intent to lube them.

Once in a while mine get oily while doing oil changes. They last for years with my messy method. Apparently spilling hot oil onto the tools is a good thing.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Once in a while mine get oily while doing oil changes. They last for years with my messy method. Apparently spilling hot oil onto the tools is a good thing.

LOL yeah I seem to drop enough stuff into oil to not have to worry
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I occasionally drop mine in a tray of Dexron, or hot dirty engine oil.

Wish I could say that it was with intent to lube them.

I think I have seen your oil change video on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back