If I put my car to run without starting it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
The tach goes up to 8 and sits there. Any idea why? On this car it's achieved by holding the start button down for a few seconds without your foot on the brake.

Without knowing the builder and model of the horseless carriage in question, I have to assume it is some sort of calibration for the instrument cluster. My Mustang does it occasionally and even after the car is off I will see the tach and speedo move on their own to set to 0.

Obviously it's an electronic safety installed by the manufacturer. I wouldn't worry about it, but wouldn't flirt with it either.

Eye candy, potentially based on gauges that did it for some calibration purpose 50 years ago. But the cluster manufacturer thinks it looks cool.

Apparently there are speedos that do it too and numerous pictures of them captioned "look how fast I got it Lolol"

I've seen some cars where all gauges sweep to max at startup. Odd that one only does it. Don't underestimate the possibility of some lines of code someplace being the culprit.

If the gauges work, I wouldn't worry about it and chalk it up to an oddity.

It's a 2013 ATS, if you start it normally the gauges do a full sweep and go to where they should be. If you don't start it, no sweep and the tach goes right to 8.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just curious. I'm guessing it is an easter egg in the cluster programming.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've seen some cars where all gauges sweep to max at startup.

Yeah, our Forester does that. Some of the gauges on the Civic do, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back