Traverse oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what typical oil consumption for a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Outlook 3.6 is? Running Mobil 1 I seem to burn through about 1 quart in 2000 miles. Looks like its had 5,000 mile changes its whole life (112,000 on it now). Just a little surprised since the CR-V I traded in used a barely perceptible amount after 5,000 miles, whereas this thing seems to need oil more frequently than my MG!

If there are no external leaks then the problem lies with with either;
The rings
The guides
The stem seals
or
The PCV system.

Pull the PCV line and stick a finger in there to check for oil,
Observe any exhaust smoke and the running conditions (cold start, kick down, over run etc)
Fix problem.

Oil was WAY overchanged.

Try running a 3-DeciLiter underfill and track consumption mileage. Also see OLAS good suggestions.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 is well known for consumption in vehicles that have not had it before. Is M1 new to this engine? Continued use it will most likely taper way off.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Mobil 1 is well known for consumption in vehicles that have not had it before. Is M1 new to this engine? Continued use it will most likely taper way off.

Interesting, I had not heard that. What would make it taper off? Probably is new to it, the Chevrolet dealer did the oil changes for the previous owner. I don't think they would have been using Mobil 1 for regular oil changes, unless the owner paid extra for it. I don't have the receipts showing what they used, just the Carfax showing that it was in for routine oil changes at the dealer.

Some vehicles naturally consume more oil than others with no real; effect on longevity. For as long as there is not a significant looming mechanical issue with the vehicle (noticeable oil burning). I would be at the tipping point for 1qt per 2000mi. An Impala in my fleet with the 3.6LFX (similar engine) uses some but not quite as much (maybe a qt per 3000-4000). Actually some of the better Toyota engines sipped the oil. The GM 3.6 is known to have some oil consumption but not like other engines. You might want to track use fairly carefully. M1 does have that odd history of using oil initially as it cleans/reconditions... but I would just watch it.

As far as the 3.6, the short OCI was likely a good thing as GM had to "reset" a few models for over-estimating the oil life monitor. Still, it could likely go more than the 5,000mi interval depending on the oil used.

Check for leaks too. My ranger hadn't been burning oil then apparently started too. After having to add half a quart a month I decided to dump the Motorcraft for some high mileage.

Apparently it was the oil filter. I slacked up and didn't check to see if the other ring came off. I had two of rings. It would only leak when fully warmed up.

Now I'm still using motorcraft 5w30 and Motorcraft filter. Doesnt burn/leak any more.

Just a thought.

I have noticed that these engines tend to have a puddle of oil in the air filter intake snorkel.
The AF's are a pain to inspect but I'd bet you'll find a pool of oil in the rubber intake.

on my 2010 with 97,000-
I get small amounts of oil in the intake tube. About a spoonful every 5000 miles.

My oil change intervals- are 5000 miles (50% OLM) using Valvoline 5W-30 conventional oil.

I have always measured the oil that comes out.
5.5 qts in (with new filter).... and Ive drained out
etc....

Knowing that the engine uses varying amounts of oil over 5000 mile intervals-- and it seems that its dependant on the type of driving I did (city vs highway).

When I put in new oil- I always look at the FULL mark.
The Full mark for my engine is actually much higher than the FULL mark on the dipstick.
I Now add oil over the 5000 miles to keep the oil level up towards the full mark.
The oil I end up adding is anywhere in the 0.5 to 1 qt amount.

Examples.
4287 miles on this oil-
drained out 4.8 qts (out of 5.5).
Dipstick shows FULL.

This is what the dipstick registered at-- when I drained out 4.5 qts.

the 'REAL' Full level--

Last edited:
Rbarrios, that's the dipstick on your 2010? Mine looks very different, more like a stranded steel cable with a thick piece crimped on the end where the cross hatch marks are. Actually, yours looks more like the drawing in the owner's manual.

I wonder if I have the right dipstick!

yes you have the right dipstick.

My vehicle is a 2010 built in Springhill. Soon after they shut it down and moved production to the other plant where the Acadia and Enclave are built.

The latter 2010's and 2011's have that funky looking dipstick.
I believe 2012 they went back to the blade type.

Do you know where yours was built?

Ah, wouldn't have expected a part like that to change mid-year, but figured the odds that it was lost and replaced with the wrong one were slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back