Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Would a similarly maintained and operated vehicle have lasted a shorter time without LOS, in your estimation? Personally, if I want a thicker oil, I'll just buy one.

No sir. I usually keep quiet when LOS is brought up but since NHGUY specifically asked about use in OTR trucks I couldn't help but tell of my experience. I've never promoted LOS but I never saw any harm using it in it's prescribed amount/usage. It certainly had plenty of time in a high pressure application to cause me problems and it all worked out well for me. A bonus was super quiet diffs and transmission even in the 900 thousands.

I was in my mid twenties when I bought that truck and didn't know any better. I knew it had to be costing me fuel mileage but no more thought than that. Certainly, additive dilution was never considered and for that matter I didn't know what was or wasn't in it. LOS was very popular in those days and still used by many.

Like I said, go ahead and hit me with your keyboards. I'm just saying that I gave it ample opportunity to do damage but no bad ever happened. My current truck was purchased last year with 186k miles with maintenance records showing it had a steady diet of mobil delvac and two gallons of LOS since new. That didn't scare me away and everything is super shiny under the cover.

Originally Posted By: magnus308
Originally Posted By: dustyroads

I never thought of additive dilution back then. When I traded the Star in for a much more aerodynamic truck I also stopped using Lucas to get the best mpg that I could.

Feel free to hit me over the head with your keyboards now, but I did get 925k miles out of that truck using LOS front to back and starting with the first oil change. It was running strong when I traded it. I still use their fifth wheel lube which is great stuff.

No reason to hit you with the keyboard, I have seen many who have done the same and used LOS since the vehicle was brand new.
Since you spent money on LOS you probably took very good care of your vehicle in general and bought quality oils and kept the oci´s reasonable so im not surprised it lasted 925k.

This is a VOA of LOS and there is no way it could had prolonged your engine life except for thickening your engine oil.

TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

Yeah I've seen that since joining BITOG but when I was using it I was clueless. I've run plenty of high mileage trucks that never had LOS but I can say from experience that it isn't necessarily damaging. I have no regrets from using it.

At the time I was using delvac 1300 with the LOS. I treated the truck very well in both maintenance and the way I drove it so that didn't hurt, either.

Like I said, go ahead and hit me with your keyboards. I'm just saying that I gave it ample opportunity to do damage but no bad ever happened.

I wasn't planning on doing that.
wink.gif
My point would be that while I doubt it would be manifestly harmful (at least under most circumstances, when used as directed or used "sensibly," whatever that might be), I don't think there would be any benefit. I could light a $5 bill on fire at each oil change. It won't hurt my engine, but it won't do it any good, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Like I said, go ahead and hit me with your keyboards. I'm just saying that I gave it ample opportunity to do damage but no bad ever happened.

I wasn't planning on doing that.
wink.gif
My point would be that while I doubt it would be manifestly harmful (at least under most circumstances, when used as directed or used "sensibly," whatever that might be), I don't think there would be any benefit. I could light a $5 bill on fire at each oil change. It won't hurt my engine, but it won't do it any good, either.

I always appreciate your level headed, logic based posts, Garak
grin.gif

I must say however, LOS was much cheaper than the synthetic gear lube that went into the trans and diffs, so no harm in the up front cost for those. The fuel mileage penalty was probably substantial, though. LOS has since doubled in price and now it rivals the cost of synthetic gear lube.

Well, that's what happens. Something gets popular and goes up in price, useless or not.
wink.gif
Up here, conventional gear lube costs rival synthetic gear lube costs, at least at normal consumer quantities!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Lord only knows if it does any good in an axle or transmission either.They sell giant containers of the stuff to the HD over the road truck bunch.Wonder if anybody gets 1 million miles out of an engine with that in it....??

Does 1.4 million miles without a major problem or overhaul without any LOS in it qualify. One injector and one accessory drive seal. And all done on a Kendall 15w40 with NO Lucas anywhere near it. Forrest Lucas has taken the OTR truck crowd for a ride. I have never used the stuff and have taken 3 HD truck motors to or over 1 million without any snake oil added.

I tested LOS in a freezer of mine vs 75w90 syn and am greatful I didnt use LOS in my toyota tacoma. Took minutes to drop out where M1 flowed much sooner. Know why lucas is compatible with everything? Theres nothing good in it. Use it on bathroom door hinges and be done with it.

It's not easy to find thicker oil. I've never seen 60 or 70 wt oil on the shelf. As the "experts" keep telling us a thicker oil needs less aw additives because of the thicker oil film.

Once upon a time I used lucas. After I found out its composition I wrote it off. I felt bad about wasting all that money and possible engine wear. Never again for me.

Originally Posted By: Run
Once upon a time I used lucas. After I found out its composition I wrote it off. I felt bad about wasting all that money and possible engine wear. Never again for me.

An oil analysis does not look for every substance known to man. There could be some proprietary substance in there that provides a function. You can't rule that out. Mechanics seem to love the stuff. Many many bottles are sold.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

An oil analysis does not look for every substance known to man. There could be some proprietary substance in there that provides a function. You can't rule that out. Mechanics seem to love the stuff. Many many bottles are sold.

When I sold cars we used a local repair shop to prep cars when our shop was busy. This guy swore by LOS, every car we brought him got a quart of the stuff, at least for a while. Once the used car manager saw the bills for prepping the cars the LOS treatments stopped. Then he'd only put in it trades we took that had noisy engines. LOL

It's not easy to find thicker oil. I've never seen 60 or 70 wt oil on the shelf. As the "experts" keep telling us a thicker oil needs less aw additives because of the thicker oil film.

Either you are hard of comprehension, or like twisting others' words...or just plain making stuff up.

Thinner oils make greater reliance on AW additives, is not the same as saying that thicker oils need less (or that diluting the additive concentration of an oil with lucas is correct).

Send me $700.00 and I'll find out, but for what they charge, I doubt it has any magic elixirs.

Many bottles are sold because Lucas is in racing and the people who buy it have this fantasy that if they use it they can race as well.

Point is, it is another fantasy product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Send me $700.00 and I'll find out, but for what they charge, I doubt it has any magic elixirs.

Many bottles are sold because Lucas is in racing and the people who buy it have this fantasy that if they use it they can race as well.

Point is, it is another fantasy product.

How about a representative of bitog contact them and give them the chance to defend themselves? Start a q&a thread.

...How about a representative of bitog contact them and give them the chance to defend themselves? Start a q&a thread.

How about you contact them and have their chemist explain. Marketing reps should not be considered.

Last edited:
The one thing I know about Lucas is that when Bob was at this website he did some very interesting experiments. And according to his experiments the Lucas product did not work very well. Some synthetic product, I think Schaeffer's, worked a lot better.

About the only Lucas product I have used in a long time is some fuel system cleaner that I was able to get at a low price.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
1) Thinner oils make greater reliance on AW additives

2) is not the same as saying that thicker oils need less

3) (or that diluting the additive concentration of an oil with lucas is correct).

Apologies for breaking up your post but I need to in order to ask the following:

I understand why 3 follows 1.

But are you saying in statement 2 that the AW additives are in thin and thick oils in similar amounts but that the thin oils utilize them more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back