Fram Ultra VS Amsoil Ea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have run both the Ultra and the EAO filters on my CTS-V and they both performed very well. No issues with either of them. I have both on the shelf, so it's like flipping a coin. The Amsoil filter is taller than the Fram Ultra equivalent that I have, but you can't go wrong with either of them. No matter what, the Amsoil EAO will cost you more than the Fram Ultra. I get Amsoil at dealer pricing and the Amsoil filters are more than double what I got the Ultras for online. I didn't get my Ultras from Walmart. I have always liked Amsoil products. Right now, I am running Mobil 1 with the Fram Ultra oil filter. I may go back to the taller EAO oil filter on my next OCI. I don't know if the smaller Ultra has more filtering media over the taller Amsoil EAO filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Two very similar filters. Both are excellent. The Amsoil uses a single thick layer of synthetic media to achieve the 98.7% efficiency rating at 20 microns The Fram Ultra uses two layers of a thinner media and achieves a 99%+ efficiency rating at 20 microns. The Ultra is slightly more efficient but I wouldn't let that sway me. I'd just go with whatever is cheaper and easier to get. I wouldn't go out of my way to go one or the other.

This thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3596996/1

Seems to demonstrate that the AMSOIL filter (and all others employing the Donaldson media) are in fact dual layer media. Heck, you should remember, you posted in the thread
wink.gif

I'm still not sure about that thread, I have been told it's a single layer but not sure if it's for every model.

Either way the Ultra is definitely two layers they are just hard to pull apart.

Two very similar filters. Both are excellent. The Amsoil uses a single thick layer of synthetic media to achieve the 98.7% efficiency rating at 20 microns The Fram Ultra uses two layers of a thinner media and achieves a 99%+ efficiency rating at 20 microns. The Ultra is slightly more efficient but I wouldn't let that sway me. I'd just go with whatever is cheaper and easier to get. I wouldn't go out of my way to go one or the other.

This thread:

Seems to demonstrate that the AMSOIL filter (and all others employing the Donaldson media) are in fact dual layer media. Heck, you should remember, you posted in the thread
wink.gif

I'm still not sure about that thread, I have been told it's a single layer but not sure if it's for every model.

People have cut it and reported it to be 3 layers

This thread:

wink.gif

Memph are you going to believe your ears? Or your eyes?

It's not that I don't believe my eyes it's that the definition of what is and is not the media is in question. To me it looks like the white inner layer could be a cushion between the wire backing it may have no effect on efficiency while the actual filtering media is on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back