Oil recomendation for 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car in question is a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ-Rally with 160k miles on it.
The car was owned by my mother who ran it into the ground I have had it gone through and looked over and all issues fixed. All seals in the engine replaced, new timing belt and water pump as well as had the tech look to see if there was any damage inside of the engine none reported.

Owners manual says 5w-30 is preferred and to use oil with ILSAC certification or API classification SL,SL/CF

I live in the southern part of TN lowest temp is roughly 0 highest is roughly 100.

I drive this car fairly easy no hard accelerations unless needed for some reason and I don't tend to drive more than 5 over the speed limit.

Daily drive is short trip to work about 10 miles each way then a trip out to my mothers about once a week that is a 20 mile trip one way all of this is 50/50 city/highway driving but no traffic at the times i go so just red lights about 7500-10k miles a year with the issues in the cars past I think changing the oil twice a year would be best.

No current issues with the engine on the car past issues would be oil leaks from almost all spots possible to leak oil from all have been fixed. I believe it has always been ran on conventional oil but I do not know that for certain. The reason I had the engine gone through was my mother ran it with almost no oil for about 10 miles one time right before I took ownership of the car.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If it made it 160K neglected miles on conventional 5w-30, that's what I would continue to use.

Mobil super 5000, Pennzoil conventional and even SuperTech (walmart) conventional would be on my list for it.

Based on your climate, vehicle, and driving conditions, any 5w30 should be fine, conventional or synthetic. It's a pretty basic engine w/ basic usage and climate.

Being in the Deep South,I'd use a mineral 10W30 with a Fram TG filter. GTX,Valvoline,or Pennzoil would be my top choices.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If it made it 160K neglected miles on conventional 5w-30, that's what I would continue to use.

Mobil super 5000, Pennzoil conventional and even SuperTech (walmart) conventional would be on my list for it.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back