Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like cooper tires. I put the CS4 tires on my car which is just the previous generation of the CS5. According to the treadwear/traction/temperature ratings, the cooper CS5s are the best tire you can buy in their price range and I find the tread to last a long time. They sell them here for 120 each, installed.

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
I like cooper tires. I put the CS4 tires on my car which is just the previous generation of the CS5. According to the treadwear/traction/temperature ratings, the cooper CS5s are the best tire you can buy in their price range and I find the tread to last a long time. They sell them here for 120 each, installed.

i tried the same combination (CS4/CS5 gran touring) on 2 small sedans: i was a tank in snow/wet while everyone around me just slide or could not move.
only problems:
-cs4 brake on black/shinny ice (the're not iceskates...or studded tires....)
-cs5 taking a curve at to much speed (drive for conditions...)

Another member named Grampy bought some CS5 Ultras a few months ago. Surprised he hasn't posted his experience with them yet. Maybe he is waiting to get more mileage?

I put the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring's on my 2015 Mazda3 Touring Sedan and have about 1,200 miles on them now. The size is 205/60/16 V rated. I am very happy with them.

Had a chance to drive them in rain and they were impressive. I can compare them directly with Yokohama YK580's and Pirelli P7 Plus. I have the YK580 on my 2012 Mazda3 that I still own, and the P7 Plus' I had on my Scion for over twenty thousand miles before trading it in for the new 2015 Mazda3.

I wont be buying the YK580 again, nor will I recommend them to anyone.

The P7 Plus are wonderful tires, and I feel the CS5 Ultra's are just as comfortable to drive on as the Pirelli's. I feel the CS5 Ultra might be a tad bit quieter overall.

The P7 Plus' blew me away with there ability to resist hydroplaning, they are wonderful in that regard. The CS5 Ultra are just a good at resisting hydroplaning and have better overall wet grip than the P7's. The P7's do tend to spin when taking off from a stop on wet roads; the CS5 Ultra's grip better and are harder to spin. The YK580 hate wet roads and hydroplane way to easy.

The sidewalls on the CS5 Ultras feel just a slight bit softer than the P7 Plus when you push them hard on sharp hairpins and tight on-ramps. But still boat loads of fun, and they have tenacious grip for a grand touring tire.

As far as price; I give the thumbs-up to Cooper for offering a tire that feels more secure in the rainy weather, is just as good in the dry, but considerably less expensive.

That is my initial 1,200 mile impression.

Time will tell about tread life.

Just pulled the trigger on a set for the CVPI. $344 shipped; couldn't find a better tire for the money I don't think. I doubt Ill put enough miles on it to test tread life, but I wont feel bad about it like I would with more expensive tires.

I put a set of CS5s on my '96 Windstar in December. I haven't driven it enough to form much of an opinion. Much better than the worn-out midrange Coopers I took off.

Finally got to drive in the snow with the Cooper CS5's and was very pleased. I stopped midway up a moderately inclined snow covered street in my neighborhood and with light throttle, my wifes Toyota Avalon went up the hill with no slippage at all. They did well on our steep 100 foot long driveway as well. It's the first time my wife has ever driven in the snow, and they instilled enough confidence in her to be able to drive herself to work and run a few errands. I have always had to drive her around in the snow, so her having the confidence to drive in the snow is worth the cost of admission.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
I put the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring's on my 2015 Mazda3 Touring Sedan and have about 1,200 miles on them now. The size is 205/60/16 V rated. I am very happy with them.

Had a chance to drive them in rain and they were impressive. I can compare them directly with Yokohama YK580's and Pirelli P7 Plus. I have the YK580 on my 2012 Mazda3 that I still own, and the P7 Plus' I had on my Scion for over twenty thousand miles before trading it in for the new 2015 Mazda3.

I wont be buying the YK580 again, nor will I recommend them to anyone.

The P7 Plus are wonderful tires, and I feel the CS5 Ultra's are just as comfortable to drive on as the Pirelli's. I feel the CS5 Ultra might be a tad bit quieter overall.

The P7 Plus' blew me away with there ability to resist hydroplaning, they are wonderful in that regard. The CS5 Ultra are just a good at resisting hydroplaning and have better overall wet grip than the P7's. The P7's do tend to spin when taking off from a stop on wet roads; the CS5 Ultra's grip better and are harder to spin. The YK580 hate wet roads and hydroplane way to easy.

The sidewalls on the CS5 Ultras feel just a slight bit softer than the P7 Plus when you push them hard on sharp hairpins and tight on-ramps. But still boat loads of fun, and they have tenacious grip for a grand touring tire.

As far as price; I give the thumbs-up to Cooper for offering a tire that feels more secure in the rainy weather, is just as good in the dry, but considerably less expensive.

That is my initial 1,200 mile impression.

Time will tell about tread life.

This is a nice review...thank you!
smile.gif

Your experience with the P7's sorta mimic ours on the '06 Mazda3 in my sig. We do have some snow experience with the P7's driving on unplowed highway from PA to NY and, the P7's did wonderfully! Although, AltiMAX Arctic replace the P7's for the winter.

The Cooper CS5 really have me excited but, maybe for another vehicle/another time, as we're all equipped now with new tires on all vehicles in sig.

The CS5's could be the new bargain tire(with all discounts/rebates). Based alone on the reviews of the CS5's, I will start recommending them to others. And, we'll see from here on, how the CS5's hold up as time passes!

I did a coffee run this morning at 5:15am. The rain is coming down in buckets, and I had to use the fastest setting for my wipers. My favorite coffee shop is eight miles away, and I have three options to get there; I chose the highway route so I could really test the CS5 Ultras in heavy rain at speed. Sure, I could have gone to a coffee shop 2 miles away, but opportunity was knocking.

There was literally no vehicles on the road for miles, so I took that opportunity to get up to 60mph. It has been raining heavy all night and morning, and there were big puddles on the roads and highway everywhere. The CS5 proved once and for all that they are the most sure-footed tire I have ever driven on in the rain. They are simply amazing.

As a Reminder: there were no other cars around when I took my car up to speed. I encountered puddle after puddle of large standing water spots. I could feel the resistance of the puddles slow my car down a bit, but I never felt the steering wheel pull really hard or jerk around. I felt I was in control at all times.

After that period of driving at speed to test hydroplaning on the highway portion of my drive, I focused on braking, cornering and taking off from a stop on the side-street part of the commute.

I had a chance to drive in rain shortly after buying the CS5's but it was not as intense as this mornings opportunity.

To enter onto the highway, a right hand turn on a slight incline at a stop light is required. Seeing that there were no cars coming down the highway, I cranked the steering to the right, floored the gas pedal, felt a partial spin and off I went. No drama. My 2012 Mazda3 with the same engine and transmission, but with Yokohama YK580's will sit and spin and shudder on this same situation. The Scion I had with P7 Plus' would spin very little, then hook up and go.

Cornering and braking are solid with the CS5 Ultra's. Where I am used to seeing my dashboard light up with ABS, traction control, and stability control lights with the YK580's, I am now able to corner and brake without distraction on the CS5's.

I am now at 2,000 miles with the CS5 Ultras. I'm a very happy driver.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reviews! yeah, still wrestling between the P7 and Premier. I plan is to install one of them this Thursday. Rebates on both.

They are going on the Camry in my signature.

re 3for3:
I do the same when I put new tires on a car...you've got to know the limits to be safe...good test for my next tire this month!

Cooper is running a special offer on their tires. From today until April 15 you can get a $60 Visa Prepaid Card with the purchase of 4 quantity CS5 Touring's.

I'll just say that after almost 2000 miles on the Premiers, they are fantastic in the rain and are extremely quiet.

Dry traction and cornering are two areas that they could definitely be better.

My fuel economy has been decent but some have reported losses.

CooperCS5.jpg

Put them on this morning. It was raining when I did. This made them particularly slick for the first 10 or 20 miles. Put 100 miles on it running them in. Still taking it kinda easy on them most of the time but I will say right before I got home with it, I went full throttle from a light. When the (not stock) transmission sledgehammered into 2nd the (trac-lok'd) rear end unsurprisingly broke traction on the wet pavement. They recovered nearly instantly; all I had to do was keep the wheel pointed where I wanted.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
CooperCS5.jpg

Put them on this morning. It was raining when I did. This made them particularly slick for the first 10 or 20 miles. Put 100 miles on it running them in. Still taking it kinda easy on them most of the time but I will say right before I got home with it, I went full throttle from a light. When the (not stock) transmission sledgehammered into 2nd the (trac-lok'd) rear end unsurprisingly broke traction on the wet pavement. They recovered nearly instantly; all I had to do was keep the wheel pointed where I wanted.

Awesome! Keep us updated on their performance as you get them properly run-in Colt45ws.

I think the CS5 Ultra's are by far the best bang for the buck. With a few thousand miles on my set, I am all giggly when driving hard around corners and sweeping freeway on/off-ramps; can't wipe the smile off my face.

My car was idle for a few weeks while we were on vacation. The temperatures at home where the Mazda sat stationary ranged between the low 50's overnight to the mid 70's during the day.

When we drove the car this morning for the first time in weeks, the tires did not flat spot. It was smooth driving right away.

I just appreciate these CS5 UT's more and more all the time. Great performance, great quality, excellent value.

I still love these tires on the CVPI. Corner excellent. Well, about as well as a old beat up 170K mile police cruiser can corner.

Also, I forded a small stream with water about 2/3 of the way up the front tire. The rear tires dug in, but between these tires and the LSD it did just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back