new 2015 gmc sierra 5.3 oil recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moparguy19
The first 4 are free but I'm debating on I useing them or not. So vsp isn't a recommendation for this engine?
You could use Valvoline Synpower too. I was just giving the three I would use and what filters.

Wow...8.5qts of oil in the 5.3L V8...My 2003 6.0L V8 has 4.5L of oil in the sump...which is roughly the same as my other two cars in my stable...that is is a move in the right direction.

We have a 5.3L V8 in our work fleet, it is using 5w30. Surely the move to 5w20 is CAFE driven. Alas, if it was my truck and I was going to put it to any kind of work, it would have 5w30 in it Dexos approved.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Wow...8.5qts of oil in the 5.3L V8...My 2003 6.0L V8 has 4.5L of oil in the sump...which is roughly the same as my other two cars in my stable...that is is a move in the right direction.

We have a 5.3L V8 in our work fleet, it is using 5w30. Surely the move to 5w20 is CAFE driven. Alas, if it was my truck and I was going to put it to any kind of work, it would have 5w30 in it Dexos approved.
They spec 0w20 not 5w20

I would use M1 AFE 0W-20 (DEXOS 1 approved) and a FRAM Ultra (XG10575) and drive worry free.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You think he should not be concerned with warranty requirements or that 0w-20 is typical oil spec?

I think while he's complying with warranty requirements, he's putting his new engine at great risk for accelerated wear. I'm not convinced that 0W-20 can lubricate better than 10W-30.

You said referring to 0-20 "he's putting his new engine at greater risk for accelerated wear". Can you prove this statement?

To the OP. I have been using M1 0-20 for several years now and it performs very well. Dexos approved as well.

Last edited:
Even for my Corolla, it says that if I am operating the engine at higher speeds or towing to use a thicker oil than Xw20. Mobil 1 website says that a 0w30 can also be used.

Does it give any other oil alternatives for severe duty usage?

Last edited:
Even for my Corolla, it says that if I am operating the engine at higher speeds or towing to use a thicker oil than Xw20. Mobil 1 website says that a 0w30 can also be used.

not that I know of. I didn't get a hard version of the owners Manuel but I found the online version so that's what I'm going off of

not that I know of. I didn't get a hard version of the owners Manuel but I found the online version so that's what I'm going off of

If you can find an FSM,that'll be even better.

Seems strange your new truck didn't come with a manual. I'm sure the dealership would get you one (at least they should).

Here is a page out of the manual regarding oil recommendations:
oil_manual.jpg

I personally wouldn't recommend running anything but a Dexos 1 approved 0W-20 in your 5.3 V8. Not to say you couldn't but I wouldn't want to give ANY reason for GM to void warranty if you had engine issues.

Also keep in mind that your truck has an oil cooler. I have a ScanGauge hooked up in my Sierra that monitors oil temps. Once the engine is fully warmed up, oil is usually around 195-200°F. Engine coolant around 206-210°F. When towing my boat (maybe 3000 lbs total) I'll see around 215-220°F oil temps. This has less to do with towing and more to do that I'm in 5th gear (of 6 total). If I drive at the same speed without the boat in 5th gear, oil temps would be similar. I've found that RPM's is the single biggest factor that affects engine oil temps. Your results may vary but from I have seen between oil temps and my UOA's, a 20 weight oil is just fine.

P.S. Your vehicle should include 2 years/24,000 miles complementary oil changes from the dealership (max 4 changes). I understand if you want to do them yourself but if you aren't against having the dealership change your oil I would go in every 6,000 miles for an oil change. You basically paid for them with the vehicle so just as well use them. The ACDelco/GM 0W-20 oil is plenty good for the factory length OCI's. http://www.gmc.com/progradeprotection.html

Originally Posted By: gonefishing

Seems strange your new truck didn't come with a manual. I'm sure the dealership would get you one (at least they should).

Here is a page out of the manual regarding oil recommendations:
oil_manual.jpg

I personally wouldn't recommend running anything but a Dexos 1 approved 0W-20 in your 5.3 V8. Not to say you couldn't but I wouldn't want to give ANY reason for GM to void warranty if you had engine issues.

Also keep in mind that your truck has an oil cooler. I have a ScanGauge hooked up in my Sierra that monitors oil temps. Once the engine is fully warmed up, oil is usually around 195-200°F. Engine coolant around 206-210°F. When towing my boat (maybe 3000 lbs total) I'll see around 215-220°F oil temps. This has less to do with towing and more to do that I'm in 5th gear (of 6 total). If I drive at the same speed without the boat in 5th gear, oil temps would be similar. I've found that RPM's is the single biggest factor that affects engine oil temps. Your results may vary but from I have seen between oil temps and my UOA's, a 20 weight oil is just fine.

P.S. Your vehicle should include 2 years/24,000 miles complementary oil changes from the dealership (max 4 changes). I understand if you want to do them yourself but if you aren't against having the dealership change your oil I would go in every 6,000 miles for an oil change. You basically paid for them with the vehicle so just as well use them. The ACDelco/GM 0W-20 oil is plenty good for the factory length OCI's. http://www.gmc.com/progradeprotection.html
yea it came with the free oil changes but my dealer uses super s oil. Its dexos approved and I live 10miles from there plant so I know some people that have worked there and after hearing some of the horror stories about there quality control, I just wouldn't ever use a smittys product. I'm not bashing them, I know they have there fans but I have no reason to not believe the people that told me about there qc, I might try and find another dealership close that uses acdelco oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You think he should not be concerned with warranty requirements or that 0w-20 is typical oil spec?

I think while he's complying with warranty requirements, he's putting his new engine at great risk for accelerated wear. I'm not convinced that 0W-20 can lubricate better than 10W-30.

Prove thats the case. Ford been recommending 5w20 a lot longer than GM recommend 0w20. With an oil cooler and a larger sump, I believe you should have no problem running 0w20. Get at least Dexos1. It will be at least a semi-snythetic.

The dealer oil filter will be the PF63E. That's all we get anymore part no. 19330000. Oil is ACDelco Dexos blend which is made by Mobil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You said referring to 0-20 "he's putting his new engine at greater risk for accelerated wear". Can you prove this statement?

First you're gonna have to prove to me that 0W-20 can lubricate better than 10W-30. As of now, I don't believe it. That same truck shipped to Mexico would probably have an owner's manual specifying either 5W-30 or 10W-30. Maybe even 10W-40. Mexico doesn't have a whacky CAFE government agency.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Pick a quality name brand 0w20 and an ac/delco or fram filter and you will be set.

Ignore all the silly run 10w30 posts.
yea I'll probly run vsp with the non e core acdelco filter.

If you run with a non e-core filter, you'll be taking 1/2 my advice.
That still gives me 50% credit for what's on your truck.
grin2.gif

Hey guys i bought a new 2015 gmc sierra 1500 with the 5.3 ecotec3. Its been awhile since I've owned a gm product, so what are others useing oil and filter wise? I read an online owners man. and it said use 8.5 qt of dexos1 approved 0w-20. Also I searched filter part numbers and I get back 2 numbers an acdelco pf47 and a pf47e. I'm pretty shur that's the part number but I know one had a "e" at the end. Can someone shed some light on this. I was planning on I useing vsp and a acdelco filter but I'm open to suggestions from the gm guys out there.

That new truck holds 8.5 quarts?... Wow!
Just run NAPA OW-20. Watch for sales this late summer @ $4 quart.

Look for the pf52, which is an inch or two longer than the pf47. Try to avoid any AC Delco with an (E) attached.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Pick a quality name brand 0w20 and an ac/delco or fram filter and you will be set.

Ignore all the silly run 10w30 posts.

Beautiful combo! it will serve you well!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back