new 2015 gmc sierra 5.3 oil recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i bought a new 2015 gmc sierra 1500 with the 5.3 ecotec3. Its been awhile since I've owned a gm product, so what are others useing oil and filter wise? I read an online owners man. and it said use 8.5 qt of dexos1 approved 0w-20. Also I searched filter part numbers and I get back 2 numbers an acdelco pf47 and a pf47e. I'm pretty shur that's the part number but I know one had a "e" at the end. Can someone shed some light on this. I was planning on I useing vsp and a acdelco filter but I'm open to suggestions from the gm guys out there.

I'd run Chevron Supreme 10W-30 in it if it were my truck.
Don't get the ACDelco PF47E. It's got a plastic center tube.

Flame suit on!
laugh.gif

Get a PF47, I believe O'Reillys sells it. The "E" is an e-core filter that's part plastic, you don't want it if you can get another filter.

Well the truck has 150miles on it so I was planning on sticking with the 0w-20 grade for warranty purposes. So that's the difference with the "e" marked filter? Also are acdelco filters from Wal-Mart any good or should I try something else. I won't use a fram ultra because I put one on my previous truck and it always dry started. Im sure it was a dud and there great filters but it scared me away from fram.

Originally Posted By: moparguy19
Well the truck has 150miles on it so I was planning on sticking with the 0w-20 grade for warranty purposes.

That's typical.

Use a Dexos rated oil. Bottom end ones are semi-synthetic, top of the line full synthetic...

Castrol black or gold bottle, Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum, would be my choices.

10W-30 does not meet Dexos specs...

If you have the room, a PF52 is just over an inch longer...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
10W-30 does not meet Dexos specs...

That's OK, I'll keep using it in my car anyway. I'm not convinced that 5W-30 Dexos lubricates any better in California weather.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: moparguy19
Well the truck has 150miles on it so I was planning on sticking with the 0w-20 grade for warranty purposes.

That's typical.

You think he should not be concerned with warranty requirements or that 0w-20 is typical oil spec?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You think he should not be concerned with warranty requirements or that 0w-20 is typical oil spec?

I think while he's complying with warranty requirements, he's putting his new engine at great risk for accelerated wear. I'm not convinced that 0W-20 can lubricate better than 10W-30.

The '14+ 5.3's use a PF63 from the factory. They are in the process of switching over to the ecores for this application but if you can find the PF63 without the "e" it is a really good filter. The Wix 57045 is a good choice, but is a tad longer than the oem and it is tough for me to get my wrench on the Wix filter due to a shield under the filter.

Any 0W-20 oil will be fine as all are either semi-syn or full syn. I am running the Napa Syn (Synpower?) as it usually goes on sale for less than $4 a quart 3 or 4 times a year and is dexos rated.

My bad on the part number, I guess I had the numbers mixed up. I was really more concerned about the "e". but thanks everybody for the help

Pennzoil platinum, Mobil1, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability.
Wix, Ac Delco, and Fram Ultra.
In no particular order.

Make sure u are using the correct oil filter. I believe the pf47 may be for the V6 engine. I would use whatever 0w-20. Don't u get free oil changes at the dealer?

You get four for free so I would go with that as the UOA's done with the ACDelco oil have shown good results. gonefishing has some very helpful UOA's posted. I agree that I would stay away from the ecores if possible. If not ecore then the ACDelco filters are solid the dealer will use.

No matter which way you go use 0W-20 and make sure it is dexos approved

Last edited:
As others have stated, factory filter is PF63.

Here is some information on the replacment PF63E (scroll down to page 2): http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/newsle...cember-2014.pdf

Here is a comparrison between the two versions: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3523655/Virgin_AC_Delco_PF63E_&amp

I have seen AC Delco PF63 filters at Walmart. I assume they will have them until stock runs out and the E-core version replaces it.

I took apart a PF63 that was on my 2014 GMC Sierra with 5.3 and I thought it looked pretty good: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3433874/Cut_open:_ACDelco_PF63_with_6,

Currently I'm running a Fram Ultra XG10575. This is what a AC Delco PF63 crosses over to. I took one of these apart also: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3534172/Cut_open:_Used_Fram_Ultra_XG10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back