Saps content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fraser434
To run low SAPS oil in an engine not requiring low SAPS oil, you're doing the engine no favors. Full SAPS oil will allow the pistons, rings, and bearings to last the longest. Mid/low SAPS oil is a balancing act, engine wear vs. emissions; 25% less engine protection and 25% less SAPS for the catalyst to be contaminated with. Mid/low SAPS has 25% less anti wear additive = less engine protection.

So, Full SAPS protects "better" *** and mid+/- SAPS offers the "balance" between lubricity and lower DPF/Catalyst contamination... That right?

So running Full SAPS w/ shorter OCI "best of both worlds"?

SAPS has nothing to do with carbon deposits.

I refer you to the lubrizol link posted earlier in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Thank you!

I call [censored] on slide 19, to get that much oil build up on the exhaust valve would have to have an engine problem, how much leak down did that engine have?

One example I saw of a direct exhaust valve issue related to deposits, it was due to change in refiner formulation of diesel fuel causing lower EGT, normally the combustion chamber becomes hot enough to burn off ash deposits however at that point it was not (with the changed #2 diesel). The deposits would eventually break off and damage the exhaust valve seat, enough overtime to lose power. So was the problem the oil or the fuel?

Carbon, ash or calcium deposits have so many other factors, combustion chamber temperature, fuel burn rate etc.

SAPS = Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulfur

These are actually anti wear compounds, when burned into a DPF or catalyst will leave ash in the catalyst, basically insulating the honeycomb substrate not allowing the catalyst to be effective in coming up to temperature.

In order for the DPF/Catalyst to be contaminated by ash/SAPS, the engine will be burning oil at a higher rate.

To run low SAPS oil in an engine not requiring low SAPS oil, you're doing the engine no favors. Full SAPS oil will allow the pistons, rings, and bearings to last the longest. Mid/low SAPS oil is a balancing act, engine wear vs. emissions; 25% less engine protection and 25% less SAPS for the catalyst to be contaminated with. Mid/low SAPS has 25% less anti wear additive = less engine protection.

Take into consideration that these engines are built around Low-SAPS oils. Full SAPS oils are used on markets where gas is rich in sulphur (US, Russia, Moldova, Belarus, China etc).

Originally Posted By: whirldy
What about the VW Approved Motul X-Lite?

8100_xlite_0w30_5l_small.jpg

Motul Specs Sheet div>

Liek QP said, look always for oil to meet MB 229.5 since it is very strict specification.

I call [censored] on slide 19, to get that much oil build up on the exhaust valve would have to have an engine problem, how much leak down did that engine have?

That Lubrizol slide that you're referring to was strictly speaking of the intake valves of direct-injection gasoline engines, not diesel engines, nor exhaust valves.

Furthermore, I doubt Lubrizol would post nonsense as they are one of the largest additive developers / suppliers to the oil industry. They likely have done some test work before creating that presentation
wink.gif

But from a technical point of view, it's not hard to imagine how a full-SAPS oil might cause increased intake valve deposits in a gasoline direct-injected engine. If oil enters the combustion chamber, and is burnt, the resulting ash can re-circulate into the intake tract through the EGR (or through careful valve timing for engines that use VCT instead of a dedicated EGR to perform that function). Also, the PCV system can cause vaporized oil to circulate into the intake tract causing similar issues.

It would then stand to reason that if a low-SAPS oil were used, these problems might be less apparent. Although I do agree with you that low-SAPS oils are a trade-off, but in this particular case, they may help without appreciably reducing useful engine life.

Does anybody know what SAPS (Low, Mid, Full) the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 has?

Thanks!

Does anybody know what SAPS (Low, Mid, Full) the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 has?

Thanks!

It's a full SAPS oil.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
write down its specs and we will know...

A3/B4
C1...C2...C3...

Thanks!

It's a full SAPS oil.

DRZfPaOl.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back