Worst oil you have put in your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zray
Originally Posted By: tratman2000
When I was much younger a friend of mine's mother had a Lincoln town car that smoked and burned oil pretty bad she had to stop for a top off at a gas station and bought two cycle engine oil on accident but said it stop smoking and useing so much so from then on they used two cycle oil in the car always thought it was kind of crazy....."

Guys that work in motorcycle shops, who know 2 stroke oil pretty well, have been doing that for years. I first heard about it in 1970 when I started working at Triumph of Oklahoma City.

Z

you know, I've always been curious to know what would happen in that situation, but I've never felt curious enough to potentially scrap an otherwise good engine to find out. seems like even if the viscosity were close, the additives used in each would be far different considering one is intended to be combusted and the other isn't.

2 stroke oil has to do several jobs, and do them well enough so the engine doesn't seize. Putting it in a 4 stroke engine is a walk In the walk for the 2 stroke oil compared to the usual 2 stroke duties. Usually it has to lubricate bearings even though it's been mixed with gas at some insane ratio. At full strength a good 2 stroke oil has no problems meeting the demands of a 4 stroke engine, plus it burns clean.

It has marvelous cooling properties. On our Bultaco race bikes we would routinely drill a 1mm angled upward hole in the piston just below the ring lands, and right where the bridge of the exhaust port is.. That area is responsible for 99% of all 2 stroke piston seizures. With the piston modified like that, a cool stream of oi/gas mixture, pressurized by the downward stroke of the piston, is directed at the hottest part of the exhaust port / cylinder wall. No more seizures .

Z

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Arco Graphite!!!!

Technically, what is wrong with that oil? The average joe did not want to put what looked like used oil in their engine. That's probably it.

Wolfs Head. I used as top off.

Originally Posted By: zray
2 stroke oil has to do several jobs, and do them well enough so the engine doesn't seize. Putting it in a 4 stroke engine is a walk In the walk for the 2 stroke oil compared to the usual 2 stroke duties. Usually it has to lubricate bearings even though it's been mixed with gas at some insane ratio. At full strength a good 2 stroke oil has no problems meeting the demands of a 4 stroke engine, plus it burns clean.

It has marvelous cooling properties. On our Bultaco race bikes we would routinely drill a 1mm angled upward hole in the piston just below the ring lands, and right where the bridge of the exhaust port is.. That area is responsible for 99% of all 2 stroke piston seizures. With the piston modified like that, a cool stream of oi/gas mixture, pressurized by the downward stroke of the piston, is directed at the hottest part of the exhaust port / cylinder wall. No more seizures .

Z

No I know how to get my massive oil burner accord through dyno emissions.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
2 stroke oil has next to no metallic additives (zddp, ca, mg, etc.), especially in TCW3 flavor.

Add a bottle of supplement. Redline or GM EOS

I mean, if this is a good trick to keep a smoker from smoking.

2-stroke oil seems like it would be the bumble bee of lubrication science.

I mean, perhaps it doesn't work very well (2-stroke engines have fairly short, brutal lives) but how does it work at all?

We've got threads discussing new developments in thin, low viscosity lubricants and the relative importance of anti-wear agents and friction modifiers in the boundary layer, and 2-strokes have been running at way lower viscosities for..what...best part of a century?

I'd be a bit concerned about using it as a substitute for 4-stroke oil, because it's normally total-loss, so its got no need for long term oxidative or thermal stability. I'd expect it to coke/sludge up long term.

Re "stopping a smoker from smoking" its designed to burn, so it probably burns cleaner. It'd probably still raise HC emissions so it might not pass an emissions test.

I have used premix as a flushing oil. Think that was probably a mistake, though AFAIK it didn't break anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I ran used motor oil from dad's 55-gallon drum in my '75 Chevy Vega for the first 6 months I went to college. Then we rebuilt the engine with iron sleeves during Christmas break, so I started using decent name-brand motor oils. (One of which was Arco Graphite. I liked it.)

I did run used 5w20 from Eaton's valve train test rigs in my riding mower one summer. It ran fine on it, but consumption was high.

I dumped a quart of gear lube in my '73 Vega college car, thinking that it might help reduce consumption.
Probaby fortunate that it didn't, since I doubt that the Vega would have done well with continued use of gear lube as top-off oil.
Kmart frequently had Citgo 10W-40 for some insane price anyway, twenty nine cents a quart IIRC.

Used to watch my Dad change oil. He'd buy the cheapest oil he could find and if he didn't have enough he'd just add whatever was in the garage regardless of grade or weight. Needless to say, I've never let him touch my vehicles.

I stopped reading this thread on page three. Way too many anecdotal tales of PYB and QS sludging engines. Too many tales of Mobil 1 being too loud. Too many Valvoline hating statements with no supporting evidence. I'm not a Mobil 1 fan or user, nor do I use a lot of Valvoline, but I don't bash the oils due to the fact that they work and work very well. I personally don't believe a bit of the QS/Pennz. sludge stories either. Maybe you guys weren't as good about maintenance when you were younger? That's my angle.

I've never used a "bad" oil. They all seem to perform the same for me. No difference in UOAs in terms of wear, either. I've noticed a slight increase in engine noise using Mobil 1, but I doubt that's hurting anything. It might also just be a placebo effect.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I stopped reading this thread on page three. Way too many anecdotal tales of PYB and QS sludging engines. Too many tales of Mobil 1 being too loud. Too many Valvoline hating statements with no supporting evidence. I'm not a Mobil 1 fan or user, nor do I use a lot of Valvoline, but I don't bash the oils due to the fact that they work and work very well. I personally don't believe a bit of the QS/Pennz. sludge stories either. Maybe you guys weren't as good about maintenance when you were younger? That's my angle.
I think you may have taken a couple statements the wrong way. Me and another both were joking about PYB sludging. And we are both currently using it

Originally Posted By: Red91

In my youth, I had a couple of serious oil burners that I kept on the road using 40wt. paraffin based oil that came in 2 gallon cans. "Morlube" was the brand, if I remember correctly.
If it had any detergency, it was totally accidental. But it was oil.......In the sense that it floated on water, was a liquid, and had been through a course screen, since it had been pumped out of the ground. I believe it retailed for about $2 for the 2 gallon steel can. I would pay that for the empty can, now.

Last edited:
I bought a case of Advance Auto when they first come out with their own brand. It was a intro cheap price so I bought a case. I put changed oil in my car and truck with it and they both used a quart in less than 3000 miles. they never did before and when I went back to my usual brand they didn't ever again. I am going to have to say it was the oil on that one.

I've been pretty ruthless with my Honda Accord, although I couldn't have been that bad, it's got 282k miles on it and it still runs great. But I've used 3 different weights at the same time, from three different brands, because it's all I had lying around. I put a couple quarts of diesel oil in it, with three quarts of 5w30. I've topped off with mystery oil once. I generally ran Walmart super tech in it most of the time, in fact I very rarely put a name brand oil in it, but I always changed it regularly.

I own another car (a lexus), that I am anal about with oil changes, yet the Honda is doing great.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I ran used motor oil from dad's 55-gallon drum in my '75 Chevy Vega for the first 6 months I went to college. Then we rebuilt the engine with iron sleeves during Christmas break, so I started using decent name-brand motor oils. (One of which was Arco Graphite. I liked it.)

I did run used 5w20 from Eaton's valve train test rigs in my riding mower one summer. It ran fine on it, but consumption was high.

I dumped a quart of gear lube in my '73 Vega college car, thinking that it might help reduce consumption.
Probaby fortunate that it didn't, since I doubt that the Vega would have done well with continued use of gear lube as top-off oil.
Kmart frequently had Citgo 10W-40 for some insane price anyway, twenty nine cents a quart IIRC.

That Vega burned a quart of oil every 100 miles. When I pulled into a gas station, I would say "fill up the oil and check the gas". Then when we sleeved it, consumption went to about 1 quart per 1000 miles. I changed the oil once a year in that car, which was about 12,000 miles. It lasted me through 5 years of school, and I sold it to a friend of mine in my hometown.

I changed the oil once a year in that car, which was about 12,000 miles. It lasted me through 5 years of school, and I sold it to a friend of mine in my hometown.

He must not have been a very good friend then....
09.gif

I don't think I have ever had a bad oil in my vehicles. Not sure how you would know anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back